Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: APG SALES Sydney aand Melbourne

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Flicking through the Sydney results, couldn't help but notice Faye Wisbey picking up a couple of fillies. I wonder if Faye can still remember the day the auctioneer's hammer fell on Koala King.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Sensational APG Sydney Sale results

26 February 2017 | APG Media

APG Sydney Lot 259 Photo by STUART McCORMICK

JUST like last night’s Miracle Mile meeting, the competition was fast and furious during today’s Ladbrokes Australian Pacing Gold Sale.
    With a terrific overall clearance rate, the colts were in particular high demand, with three breaking six figures and several falling just short.
    The highest priced lot of the day was 368 – a colt by Bettors Delight from Lady Euthenia - which attracted a national record bid of $245,000.
    A break down reveals the colts sold for an average of $28,728, an increase from last year’s $27,233, while the fillies attracted an average of $18,611 this time around.
    Pleased with the figures, APG’s General Manager David Boydell stated the bids reflected the quality of the stock on offer throughout the afternoon.
    “This year’s sale had so many outstanding types go through the ring, which led to some spirited bidding,” Boydell said. “To have the average for both colts and fillies increase from last year is a very pleasing result for all involved.”
    As mentioned, the top colt was a record purchase for Tasmanian owner Mick Maxfield, while the leading filly was Lot 259 secured by Justin Baker for $90,000.
    By boom stallion Somebeachsomewhere, the flashy maiden is from Very Chic, which comes from a family littered with winners.

The top seller certainly boosts the average up. can anyone tell me if the 26% of horses that were passed in are taken into account ???

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    Good post trish. I have queried the accuracy of this article with HRA who wanted nothing to do with it and handballed it over to David Boydell who claimed he had nothing to do with the article as well (go figure) but supplied me with information which should be published and other data including the passed in lots you have mentioned. Fillies did not increase in sales average as mentioned in the article they went down by 18% and there are real worrying signs for the "2nd tier stallions" I think we may have discussed this in another set of Posts.

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    "Odds and ends" Post 991- this will have ramifications for those plebs and breeders who cannot afford Bettors delight, Art Major -not sure who will take Mach 3's place. Not only are the breeders in trouble with "2nd tier stallions" but the fillies just don't sell. Some stallions are going to go by the wayside or seriously drop their price and that means under $4000.... I am talking about Artistic fella, Sportswriter, Western Terror maybe and some of the new ones are under the pump already and they include Auckland reactor, Mr Feelgood, Roll with Joe and probably a couple more. Rock n roll heaven cant produce a colt. Some of these stallions need to produce a big winner right now. I wont be going to any of them if they cant do that. It is just not worth it.

(Post moved from Odds and Ends)
    Last edited by Messenger; 02-28-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Redirection

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Many moons ago as a newly wed I was having an amicable discussion with my mother-in-law about an article, the content of which has long been forgotten in the mists of time. We had opposing opinions and she just said to me "Paper never refused ink yet". I have never forgotten the advice and have mentally referred to it most of my life, perhaps the above needs the same treatment?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Good post trish. I have queried the accuracy of this article with HRA who wanted nothing to do with it and handballed it over to David Boydell who claimed he had nothing to do with the article as well (go figure) but supplied me with information which should be published and other data including the passed in lots you have mentioned. Fillies did not increase in sales average as mentioned in the article they went down by 18% and there are real worrying signs for the "2nd tier stallions" I think we may have discussed this in another set of Posts.

Hi Pat. I think I said "what happens to the folk who can not afford the big sires". I wonder if they will breed again after Sundays sale???

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    Hi Pat. I think I said "what happens to the folk who can not afford the big sires". I wonder if they will breed again after Sundays sale???
    I'm sure there will be a lot of breeders questioning their future involvement Trish.
    Once again, if you didn't have a yearling by the handful of stallions that the buyers like, (primarily Bettors Delight, Art Major & Mach Three), then it was a struggle to make any money. Just having a quick study of the results, I would suggest 75% of the yearlings left their owners in the red.
    Perhaps it will level out a bit with M3 gone, BD reducing his number of mares and AM getting on in years BUT I don't think so. If you are going to breed to sell, it will remain imperative that you are on the money with your stallion choices.

Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    It appears as if there was an error made by the author of the HRA article-David Boydell (APG) has confirmed this to his credit. I think is agreed upon that there was great attendance at the Sydney sales but this did not help those who bred to the lesser known stallions or those that bred fillies. I am quite sure that experts can come up with a solution and reveal it in this forum.

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Hi Pat and everyone,

Yearling sales prices have been declining against their service fee price for many years.

What you may also want to look at is service fee versus the prizemoney returned by many of these stallions.

David James from Empire Stallions provided his insight on how to resolve some of these issues on APG TV.

Currently, significant prizemoney can only be won by few racehorses. I'm not sure if that's right or wrong however it affects the opportunties for the new and middle market stallions.

Yearlings by World Class and Proven stallions such as Western Terror, McArdle and Badlands Hanover are struggling to compete at APG sales due to factors including;
    x - their few foal numbers (which reduce the chances of their progeny winning group races)
    x - the few high quality mares served (which reduce their chances of producing group winning racehorses)
    x - the level of trainer that train their progeny (therefore reducing their chances of winning group races)

Someone mentioned that some of these stallions need to stand up.
    x - McArdle is the sire of Tact Tate who recently won the Truer Memorial (Group2) and the Bohemia Crystal Free For All (Group1) beating Purdons Have Faith In Me NZ.
    x - Badlands Hanover is the sire of Beaudiene Boaz (who hit the $1M mark as a 5YO), Washakie and others.
    x - Western Terror is the sire of Terror To Love and many other +100k winners across Aus and NZ.

Even if these undervalued stallions compete and win on an average or % basis against Bettors, Somebeach, Art Major etc., I don't see buyers going for them at the APG sales.

These and other factors will increase the demand for top tier stallions. Vendors could win with new and high profile stallions such as Captaintreacherous however who knows? - buyers are fickle. A Rocknroll Dance and Pet Rock were outstanding racehorses, are well bred and had some outstanding types across sales however, their yearlings didn't sell anywhere near as well as what they have in North America.

It is likely that the majority of vendors who are not selling top tier stallion progeny are losing money .

In addition to service fees, take into account the following costs for vendors;
    x - Futurities (incl. Bathurst, Breeders, APG, Vicbred, Challenge etc.)
    x - Agistment
    x - Reproduction
    x - Yearling preparation
    x - Vet
    x - APG commission
    x - APG entry
    x - APG advertising

We offered services to McArdle and Badlands Hanover at $2,500 and better for early payment and sold out. Most of these breeders were breeding to keep their progeny however it should be a little easier for them to return a profit against their higher priced and unproven competition if they were to sell.

John Dumensy is trying and helped us offer McArdle and Badlands Hanover from NSW. We wouldn't have offered these stallions without their support.

The decline in yearling sales prices versus service fees is a symptom of larger industry problems.

I think that improving these larger problems will subsequently help vendors on many levels.

What do you think?
    Last edited by alphastud; 03-01-2017 at 12:59 AM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    For decades Ray Chaplin has been advocating the need to fix the product we offer the public if we hope to attract big spending clients and links to his submissions can be elsewhere on the forum

A link for David James ideas can be found here (his interview prompted the thread)

http://www.harnessracingforum.com/sh...worth-watching
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread