Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Coloured Horses

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    First starter in the 2yo at Horsham tomorrow, Remi Magic would already be a bit of a disappointment to the Tindales
    You only breed to a non performer like Ernie Eldorado (skewbald) in the hope of producing a skewbald but Remi is a bay
    Ernie is listed as a gelding nowadays but he did produce 5 foals, the 2 that were skewbalds were never named
    Ernieson (bay also) has made it to the races but is unplaced in a career of 10 starts so far

It would seem to be up to Remi Magic (and the last of Ernie's foals, only a yearling) to make Ernie Eldorado a success

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#HSC08032107
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Holy Cow Batman
    I didn't realize Ernie Eldorado (see above post) is back racing and is in at Horsham too!
    Before becoming a sire, he had 3 starts as a 2yo way back in 2012-13
    He had 2 starts about this time last year and after another year off he is back tomorrow as a 10yo having his 6th start

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#HSC08032105
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    On today's performance, it is hard to believe Ernie finished 3rd in a race last year
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Remi Magic went very respectably for a 2yo first starter finishing 4/6 and I expect that she will one day find the right race and make Ernie the sire of a winner

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#HSC08032107
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I was looking at the first season sires table and I noticed a skewbald stallion (sire of 4 only) has had his most recent foal make it to the races in SA
    What I found amazing is that his skewbald sire Flying Jaguar has sired 50 but as yet only 1 has made it to the races and now a 3yo was last beaten by a total of 270m in his two 2yo starts
    Flying Jaguar has 2 weanlings and 2 yearlings still to come to try and improve this deplorable record
    This good looking boy is responsible for some massive wastage
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I was looking at the first season sires table and I noticed a skewbald stallion (sire of 4 only) has had his most recent foal make it to the races in SA
    What I found amazing is that his skewbald sire Flying Jaguar has sired 50 but as yet only 1 has made it to the races and now a 3yo was last beaten by a total of 270m in his two 2yo starts
    Flying Jaguar has 2 weanlings and 2 yearlings still to come to try and improve this deplorable record
    This good looking boy is responsible for some massive wastage
    They breed for pretty horse Kev, not performance. If the stallion had been acting of the mill bay it would have been gelded as a youngster!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    But 50 Trevor - unbelievable
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    You have to wonder how many were broken and tried. A mate of mine stood a beautiful looking piebald stockhorse a few years ago and it covered a dozen mares in its first season. At $3,000 a pop! Just so somebody could grab about their pretty foal. Then again, there seems to be no shortage of people silly enough to stump up 7 or 8 grand for a French Bulldog pup!

The question is who would have bred a mare to the unraced Flying Jaguar had it been a plain old bay? It's maternal sire Damien Chief, a piebald, was also unraced. 23 live foals for zero starters was his contribution to the gene pool. That just reinforces my view about coloured horses. They are sometimes referred to as freaks of nature in standardbreds. The real freaks are ones that actually race and win!

Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Agree, but understandable as the people who breed coloured standardbreds do so as fanciers of equine art pieces in preference to racehorses. Check the paint horses in Flying Jaguars pedigree and you'll find even more damning statistics. His maternal dam sire Damien Chief was by the piebald Snowtime, which sired some handy horses and was son of good old Snowflake. Her once potent bloodlines that left smart horses in the '50s and '60s have been diluted to irrelevance to the breed.

In making this sweeping statement look no further than the unraced (surprise, surprise) Damien Chief's stud record. 28 live foals, zero starters. His grandson Flying Jaguar might be considered the high achiever of the family, at least he had ONE starter!

Breeding unraced mares to unraced stallions and repeating the dose for the subsequent generation then standing the resulting colt at stud does not sound like a recipe to get the successor to Bettors Delight. Especially when you are making your breeding decision based on colour.

Yes Kev, 1 starter from 50 foals is appalling on face value. But that figure is heavily skewed because the foals demonstrably are being bred primarily for appearance. You would think breeding a foal good enough to race would be well down the order of priorities for these breeders.
    Last edited by Showgrounds; 04-10-2021 at 02:14 AM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    “Before I die I want to see a Skewbald win a major Group 1 race and this bloke has ticked all the right boxes so far."

http://www.harnesslink.com/Internati...coloured-dream

I would love to see it too but he doesn't look like a skewbald (maybe his right side?)
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread