Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: IS it time, to reassess "Black Type"?

Junior Member Foal Texas will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Smith

Red face IS it time, to reassess "Black Type"?

[B]Black Type[/B]
    What does it mean anymore?....
    I understand WHAT it represents as in 2.00 times, $100k earnings, "Classic" race wins and such, BUT with every horse that qualifies these days, can Beat 2.00m because of the new track builds, SO much Money on race purses these days, AND nearly every second race any horse WINS is a "Classic"....what is the real purpose of ALL the Black type 'one' sees in any given catalogue?
    May as well just set the Printer on "Bold" and let it rip!.....Lets save the True Black Type for the $300K + winners, Group One Winners, Inter, Oaks, Derby, SS and MAYBE APG GOLD(I say MAYBE on that one because, That has become a bit ho hum now too, with so many races devoted to the Graduates, leaving out other top horses not eligible????)….
    Just Thinking out Loud, and NO OFFENCE meant to ANYONE!!!.
    Kind Regards.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Yes, Kevin it would be nice to see a catalogue that made it easy to spot the nuggets in the family tree rather than glamorize as many horses as possible
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Probably time to lower the time to 1.55 .
    Don't die wondering !

Junior Member Foal Texas will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kevin Smith
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Probably time to lower the time to 1.55 .
    Yes "G", That was my thinking, as well....

Also, $500K US = $300K AU winners, (and redefine/restrict, what constitutes a/the "Classic" Races, somehow!?…)

It would create a lot of work, record wise, if, we had to 're-assess' the existing "Black Type" Horses, so, I was pre-emptively thinking, we may have to leave them, as is, however, if all the 'changes' could be sorted, and Kick in, for the start of the 2021 season, Maybe, if possible....???

Some sort of "Grading System" on Stallions, would possibly be Helpful as well....(A, B, C, D, etc) on both Racehorse Progeny and Broodmare Progeny....

Once the Stallion has finished his Stud Career (or say, 12th year at Stud) He could be graded, Such as "Bret Hanover", arguably, "B" Grade Racehorse Producer and "A" Grade Broodmare (Filly) producer, "Butler B.G", "D" Grade Race and "B" Grade Broodmare (Filly)... You get the Idea....
    (most people have their own "Grading System" something like/similar to this, But, I for one, would be MOST INTERESTED in seeing what the experts, most knowledgeable BREEDERS, REALLY THINK/opine on our Past (and Present) Stallions.
    Even Back to Dale Frost, Meadow Skipper (All his sons and G/Sons), Adios, down thru to Art Major and now his sons...BUT I digress, Sorry.

I guess/realize there has been multitudes of articles/stories written about some horses, mostly Stallions/Racehorses, but few on the BROODMARES.
    ALAS, without offending anyone, most stories, are either Biased because of Ownership, Personal Favourites, Upcoming Stud Duties etc.....
    We Need an "Easy to Read" FACT-book on ALL the Beasts, Mares included (catalogues are good for this, except, every horse under her name is Black type these days...
    A Catalogue these days contains 'most' of the needed info, sometimes too much, sometimes NOT the CRITICAL stuff, i.e. LF to Winners, I wonder, is this because it makes the Stud horse appear 'not quite as strong' as he does with a "Starters to winners" Ratio...(Let's face it Guys and Girls, IF you have a horse that is Good enough to "Start" in a race, you have got to be pretty unlucky NOT to get that horse to WIN....SOMEWHERE!!!????)

Wouldn't it be NICE, for NEWER Buyers/keen enthusiasts, to go to sales, with a Catalogue, that instantly Reflects (as Mr HRV states) "THE NUGGETS" , including SIRES (with "LIVE FOAL TO WINNER" RATIO, [the true measure of his ability]...rather than, "starters to winners", which means nothing really!) Same 'DEAL' for the Broodmare Sires....."Live foals to Winners" Please (not just the winners and placegetters).

Again Just thinking out loud.
    Best Wishes to all!.

+ Reply to Thread