Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Australia and NZ yearling sales

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Interesting they decided to have three Cullens and two Grins in the first six lots. I guess it's easily to speculate without seeing their conformation. The best-bred lot in the sale could quite easily have conformation flaws ... but they'll undoubtedly still sell well.

I'm always amazed how yearlings that are 'flavour of the month' (for example, a close relation to a horse that's racing really well at the time of the sale) attract so much attention despite their physical qualities.

Without wanting to unfairly label on situation, I remember a few years back a Falcon Seelster filly out of Sassy Gina (making her a half-sister to Sassy Sarah) that went through the APG sale in Melbourne. I had a good look at her and, in my opinion, she had some significant physical shortcoming that would severely restrict her racing ability. yet she still sold for something like $50-60k, simply because she was a half-sister to a top mare.

I always struggle to understand how some buyers are prepared to splash lots of money without doing their homework.

Obviously there's no guarantee you're going to buy a good horse ... but I reckon it's not too tough to be confident some will never make it as racehorses, simply because of their conformation.

nat
    Hi Ben did you see who owns the horse you mentioned and what she is in foal to

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Hey Nat,
    I can't remember which year that filly went through ... but I see Ian Dobson bought one of em and he sent her to Cullen ... no surprise to see her make a broodmare, I guess.

nat
    The power of the Falcon Seelster, I dont know about the early lots in the APG Black lable sale I would say they would have to in good order to make this sale

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Nat
    Just trying to work out what you mean, do you mean if the first 2 in the sale don't look good they shouldn't be there or is it that you think Falcon is getting on and none of them should be there.

nat
    Sorry just commenting on what ben had written about the first several lots in the upcomming black lable sale

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    Hi Nat
    All good thats what i thought you mean't but wasn't shore. I think there is a few in the sale that probably shouldn't be there and when you look at the other apg sale's there's some well bred one's there. I suppose it's hard to say they shouldn't be there as i havn't the opportunity to see the horses but only time will tell.

nat
    Hi Mango I'm with you on that there are some nice bred horses in the black lable sale but nothing grabes you like they did at the 2009 sale mares like Sabilize, Jadah Rose,French Flair and the like

+ Reply to Thread