Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    This is Bizarre

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Yes very interesting, absolute liability and duty of care. Aiken is not a guest of the NSWHRC but a rent paying tenant to HRNSW who designed, constructed and operate the Menangle Training Centre.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Chris Alford could have got a QDT for his single mindedness to lead on Lenny

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...ic#MXM26051801

The Lead Time was 2.5 secs faster than when he set the Tk Rec this year

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...18#MXM27011801
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The last race at Ballarat last night was won on protest
    It is an interesting one as you can argue that if Wow Shes Smooth had not been carted wide by the leader she would have got to the line quicker and so she deserved to win
    However if both horses had gone straight I think the finish would have been the same with WSS unable to beat Tough Call
    An added tidbit is the fact that the winning driver (after the protest) was cautioned about taking inside runs like he did down the back straight

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...ic#BAC14061802

The Stewards Report

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...&fromstate=vic
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    R9 at Shep is the sort of race that can hurt our code. Here is Jason Bonnington's pre race analysis

OVERVIEW: You’ve only got two little issues with hotpot 3YO IM SCORCHING (1) here; the ace alley and the fact she didn’t want to score up in a recent trial at this very venue. To be fair the polemarking draw isn’t much of an imposition as even if she’s crossed Gavin will make all the right decisions after that. Her recent misbehaviour at the trials is far more worrying. Having said that if she produces a faultless display she’ll brain this lot

IM SCORCHING started $1.30. Gavin never looked desperate to get off the fence, you could even say he seemed unperturbed about settling 3 back the poles and didn't "make all the right decisions". Maybe I am super tough as the caller said "Gavin just cant find a passage off the pegs" when they were passing the winning post the first time - which is when he needed to make it happen. I know he is the Iceman and we did see a little obligatory head left + head right down the back straight. It may be just racing but it also looks bad IMO. A sceptic has plenty of ammo to say that it was the perfect way to get her beat. Imagine if you knew the $1.30 fav is not going to win tonight. I take solace in the fact that newbs are unlikely to be backing $1.30 favourites

Gavin managed to lock wheels again so we will never know how close she still might have got. We need an inventor to come up with a way of reducing the chances that wheels can lock

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...ic#SPC15061806

ps Not talking through my pocket (I'm a virtual non punter nowadays)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Think your might be being a bit harsh Kev. Bonnington did suggest the fav would get crossed, not lead and win. Has it led in any of it's races Kev? The rule here is a driver can't make another runner cover more ground coming off the pegs at the first turn, what is it there? Gav did have the whip out the back at the start and was slow out, presumably that is the QDT, Alford showed why he is the best driver in the sport, seized the initiative and drove hard for the lead and controlled the the race after that ensuring the fav wasn't getting off the pegs in running, "great front running drive" as the caller said. Svanosio held his line to the finish as he's entitled to, the locking wheels was a completely different scenario to the one previously discussed, more questions to be asked and a worse look if Svanosio had just let the fav out I think.

Bonnington could have been a little more circumspect in his comments given there was always a chance here the fav would be locked up on the pegs but I don't think that's his personality.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I am probably being a bit tough but like Bonnington, I thought barrier 1 was its only worry and I thought it was a given that Gavin would ease off the barrier until he could get off the pegs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Yes I guess he could possibly have done that, certainly not what I'm used to seeing from barrier 1 in WA though. But how do you guarantee Kev if Gav had gone back at the start to get into the running line he would have won anymore then if the run in the straight had opened up instead of jostling and locking wheels in the straight?

The only certainty in racing is that there is no certainty. Punters are wagering money on an event with an uncertain outcome in the hope of winning more money, not putting it in the bank for a 2 minute term deposit at 30%. Maybe Bonnington has a small bitter pill to swallow for the certainty of his words on this occasion or perhaps that's how the punters like them.
    Last edited by Dot; 06-16-2018 at 09:30 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't believe that drivers have to drive according to how well supported their horse is but if you are on clearly the best horse in the race and your greatest danger is being locked on the pegs - a top driver makes sure he isn't. I have seen horses not noted for early speed ease all the way back to last to ensure they got off the pegs - it was a 2190m race and it was only a field of 8. The winner was 2nd favourite and yet it had only won for the first time at its previous start - its 34th start!

I suppose you can just say 'that is the way Gavin drives' and therefore that horse's chances were overrated. I cannot help but think that if that was a BIG race and Gavin was on a horse with a similar class edge - he would have had more input into how that race panned out
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    And there in a nut shell Kev you have it. It wasn't a big race but there are big races for the filly coming up. And who's rights outweigh who's? The right of the punter who has wagered 10s to perhaps 100s of dollars to expect a driver to take every measure to win that race on a short priced favourite even if it means a gut busting run to the rights of the owners/breeders who have invested 10s to perhaps 100s of thousands of dollars in the industry to have their filly given a chance in that race and return in the best possible shape for the big races and the only possible way they will see a return on their investment is to win in the big ones?

The Vicbred super series begins next week and the filly is in the heats. Did JBs form analysis take that into account? Did yours? I don't know, I thought she started too short with a bigger picture in mind. Surely the likelihood of future engagements in bigger races is/should be a part of the many uncertainties in the event taken into account during punters "risk analysis" and determination of what price they will wager at? Maybe it was here, maybe it wasn't I don't know.

Closed Thread