Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Integrity Matters ( HRV newsletter )

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Integrity Matters ( HRV newsletter )

I was emailed a copy of this newsletter this month - something I had not caught up with in the past so I thought I should go back and look at the first 2 issues (it is released bimonthly).

You can subscribe and have it emailed to you and I think you are supposed to be able to access it via the News tab at thetrots.com but at present that only seems to provide the first edition (Jan/Feb)

The first edition is interesting for the choice of interviewee for the 'Why Integrity Matters To Me' being Craig Demmler who was still under suspension at the time. (The 2nd edition also had the recently disqualified Chris Angove)

His answer to What lessons have you learnt? didn't sound contrite (but maybe he does not believe he was guilty)
    "l have learnt that it is impossibly hard to defend yourself at a reasonable cost and also I have learnt who my true friends are in the industry."

But his Advice did include
    "always read labels thoroughly and it pays to be extra vigilant of all products given to your horse."

This is a link to the first Integrity Matters

https://us7.campaign-archive.com/?u=...&id=0987f038dd
    Last edited by Messenger; 05-27-2018 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Link
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The latest June/July edition begins with a warning about social media (Was that why it was brought to my attention?)
    It was interesting to read about the establishment of an Independent Review Panel regarding
    [I]"A complaint was made to the Office of the Racing Integrity Commissioner (ORIC) in respect to races conducted at Warragul on 24 December 2017 and Ballarat on 26 December 2017.
    The allegation was that HRV Stewards and other HRV Integrity Officials involved in these races were corrupt, and that they covered up the allegedly suspicious drives of licensed participant Greg Sugars through amended Steward Reports and subsequent steward’s inquiries that were conducted."[
    /I]

An excerpt of the report is as follows;
    An extensive review of the available betting for both races revealed no cause for concern. There was no evidence of any betting by any steward. We found no evidence of potential serious rule breaches by any driver nor did we find any evidence of collusion or corruption by any official.

One of the Greg Sugar races would appear to be

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...17#WRC24121702

going on the stewards report:

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...l/?mc=WR241217

You can see why someone might be upset by the race with Miss Atomic Betty coming last but climbing over their backs

I am not sure which race at Ballarat was in question but you would have to think it was the following

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...17#BAC26121709

as the Stewards Report shows Greg Sugars driving Cobbler Creek was fined for creating a sprint lane at Ballarat

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...l/?mc=BA261217

It is interesting to note that these races would have been under investigation at the time I posted the rumour that 2 Vic stewards were stood down which David Martin told us was incorrect. Maybe they were just under investigation

This is the link to the latest 'Integrity Matters'

https://mailchi.mp/hrv/integrity-mat...9?e=2ac3a050e9
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Kev, think you'll find its Brad, not his father, doing time at present.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    True but at the time of the 2nd edn Chris was just back from 12mths I think
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding David Martin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

It is interesting to note that these races would have been under investigation at the time I posted the rumour that 2 Vic stewards were stood down which David Martin told us was incorrect. Maybe they were just under investigation

Hi Kevin, the matter was under review, but at no time were the stewards stood down. Cheers, David

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I'm on the mailing list for the newsletter and thought discussion about the possible introduction of a race review officer role to be a positve initiative for integrity. However I believe dealing with the serious allegations made to the racing integrity commissioner without revealing the identities of the members of the review panel to be a significant negative impact on the perception of integrity.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I agree Dot - reading that article, the absence of names stood out more than if it said Huey, Dewey and Louie
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Have to agree with Dot and Kevin, if we don't know who is on the panel how do we know or trust that they are qualified and experienced enough to review such issues. What were the issues that they identified in the mentioned report and how can industry participants be satisfied that they have been addressed ?

I know nothing about the two races or people involved but I know that reading the "Integrity Matters " newsletter left me feeling very uneasy about how that issue was handled.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    For those who only read the emailed version of Integrity Matters, the newsletter has been updated to correct the wrong story following Look Out For Scammers
    the story should have read:

In recent times the Integrity department has received information that industry participants have been subject to overpayment scams. This scam involves industry participants selling horses online, with the scammer overpaying for the horse then requesting the difference to be refunded. This often happens prior to the completion of the original transaction, cancelling the original cheque or transfer, or sending a fake receipt of payment.

Participants should be wary of buyers who are overpaying for goods advertised, and are advised to report the matter to the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/report-a-scam?

HRV have notified other harness racing jurisdictions of the overpayment scams.

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/int...eptember-2018/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Glad to know Shayne Cramp has a more thorough understanding of the rules now. I didn't think the rules there that hard to understand in the first place...

+ Reply to Thread