Kevin

Crikey I knew a trainer in UK Jack O'Donoghue who trained jumpers for the Queen Mother and most mornings would wake up to clip clops echoing down our lane.....

Oh yes mudlarkers. Yes some win on dry or wet ground. But if you look at soft ground winners it was in generally smaller less talented fields as good good horses tend to scratch. But a bigger prize money race on wet ground may see a horse with good dry ground form win because that horse is a 6 cylinder machine who can handle soft well enough to beat a 4 cylinder mudlarker. My point is not to look at wet ground horses first but look at classier or better form performers who have no known objection to the wet. Tell me if I am talking baloney but a horse with grit spirit and will to win will do so under almost any conditions of ground, weight and a bad baulk. In a big event I think a jockey will not think twice but in a modest handicap event a jockey won't "knock the horse about" if not going well enough to win as they pass the 600m to 400m markers (L Piggott) or if by doing so results in the horse having to miss work to recover from fatigue or worse.