Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bettors Delight by the length of the straight (for NZ bred)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Bettors Delight by the length of the straight (for NZ bred)

I was looking at HRA's Golden Crosses for Art Major and I am in 'greedy mode' so I am looking at Millionaires (seeing that an Australian Tb sire collected over $40m in service fees in a single year can have that effect on you). I am thinking - there are not many - Australian bred, only 3 (For A Reason, Lettucerockthem, Sushi Sushi) so I look on ClassicFamilies and find a couple more NZers (My Field Marshall, Princess Tiffany) and there are 8 more in North America but let's just stick to 5 for the Southern Hemisphere.

I keep HRA and ClassicFamilies open and compare him to Bettors Delight. Once again somewhat underwhelming with only 2 millionaires Australian bred (Beautide and Caribbean Blaster) but it is when we look across the ditch that we find 18 NZ bred millionaires. It turns out that the greedy should only have been buying Bettors x Christian Cullen NZers this century (6 millionaires)
    Bettors has 24 more NA millionaires to go along with his 20 Southern Hemisphere

If you kept your purchase under $100k you would have done OK as there are another 80 Bettors x CC that made over $100k

https://classicfamilies.azurewebsite...DamSire&AD=ASC

Scroll down the right Dam Sire column until you come to the bevy of Christian Cullens
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Interesting Kev. Credit where it is due, Mark Purdon was one of the first to publicly acknowledge how hot the BD/CC Cross was, with Highview Tommy making early impact..

Going through the Classic Families table you have linked I have picked out successful yearling sale purchases made by the leading owner the past three years:
    Amazing Dream, $1,475,000 ($77,500 purchase)
    Bollinger $91,775 (3yo, $200,000 purchase)
    Elle Mac $607,678
    Self Assured $1,078,878 ($100,000 purchase)

Curiously former NZ 2yo of the year Chase The Dream ($475,415 prior to sale, $56,000 purchase) is not listed. Neither is the out-and-out champion filly Spanish Armada $787,470 ($65,000 purchase).

That six-pack of yearlings represents compelling evidence of the potency of the cross. We rank and file followers of the game have probably left our run too late to buy in and now lack the necessary cash.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Spanish Armada is there Trev and Chase The Dream is there under Lets Chase The Dream
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Interesting Kev. Credit where it is due, Mark Purdon was one of the first to publicly acknowledge how hot the BD/CC Cross was, with Highview Tommy making early impact..

Going through the Classic Families table you have linked I have picked out successful yearling sale purchases made by the leading owner the past three years:
    Amazing Dream, $1,475,000 ($77,500 purchase)
    Bollinger $91,775 (3yo, $200,000 purchase)
    Elle Mac $607,678
    Self Assured $1,078,878 ($100,000 purchase)

Curiously former NZ 2yo of the year Chase The Dream ($475,415 prior to sale, $56,000 purchase) is not listed. Neither is the out-and-out champion filly Spanish Armada $787,470 ($65,000 purchase).

That six-pack of yearlings represents compelling evidence of the potency of the cross. We rank and file followers of the game have probably left our run too late to buy in and now lack the necessary cash.
    We would have had to buy a NZer Trev as for all the Bettors Delight x Christian Cullen bred in Australia and 80 have started, no Australian trainer has been able to produce a millionaire
    It seems odd as they are bred similarly to the NZers, nearly all of them being NZ dams and yet Hurricane Harley with $572,410 is the top Australian bred/trained earner. (HH's damline is actually American)
    [I have not counted None Bettor as our top earner as nearly all his $755k was made in USA]

Of course the Halls have been responsible for Chicago Bull being a multi millionaire but he is one of Christian Cullen's 6 NZ born millionaires
    It would seem that we would have greatly increased our chances too by have Mark Purdon train for us as The Fixer, Self Assured, Lazarus and Amazing Dream are all his. They are from 3 different families too.
    Tony Herlihy gets the most credit for Ohoka Punter
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    The methods used by the leading NZ trainers to educate the youngsters and get them running along differs in my opinion. Far more patience is used by trainers and especially experienced owners.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    They may have more 'horsepeople' than us nowadays as opposed to young ones out to make a buck.
    I am afraid that I can be a glass half empty person and for example look for reasons not to buy something.
    In this case I would not give the cross quite as much credit as I would if there were say 5 different trainers (but then again with one trainer so dominant, most of the good horses are going to end up in his barn)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread