Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Broodmare Anyone?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Broodmare Anyone?

Does anybody else think that one could do a lot worse than to claim
    Miss Atomic Betty in R5 at Maryborough on Thursday

She is a sub 1.55 mare
    Her sire Lis Mara has been a flop but his pedigree is full of 'good blood'
    It is her dam line that we want in the barn
    Her family (and in MAB's arm) have produced Surprise Package, Luxury Liner and Christopher Vance - her 2nd dam is a half to Surprise Package
    The family continues to produce with Maczaffair winning the WA Oaks last year and had Come Dance With Me in Shez All Rock's Jewels on Saturday

Her Cam Fella and Abercrombie blood produces some very nice future matings - maybe a West Aussie could be interested for the beautiful pedigree she produces with Follow The Stars

Please feel free to pick fault with this as I want to learn from the real experts on here

http://classicfamilies.net/CF/Descen...rseID=10013002

http://classicfamilies.net/cf/Family...meGroup&AD=ASC

http://classicfamilies.net/horsedeta...rseID=10194084
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I doubt there is any such thing as a real expert on the subject Kev, there's no formal qualifications, it's something anyone can research as much or as little as they like and voice an opinion on.

Firstly this mare has been advertised for sale previously so it appears her owners are keen to move her on, if she isn't claimed then perhaps post race she could be bought for less. I agree with your assessment of Lis Mara and I guess it depends on what you want to do with the foal. Breeding for yourself Lis Mara pedigree gives some nice options to work with, breeding for the sales his lack of success as a sire would probably hurt the potential return on the yearling.

My preference is to reinforce sibling and genetic siblings in the background of the pedigree, and Lis Mara certainly provides a good opportunity to do that. His Dam is bred on the cross of Abercrombie over Albatross, and is a full sister to Albert Albert, his second dam is a full sister to BGs Bunny, and genetically a 7/8 sister to Three Diamonds. I would look for stallions that had Artsplace ( Abercrombie over Albatross) BGs Bunny and/or Three Diamonds

I don't see that there's anything to pick apart about your nomination Follow The Stars Kev, you've already touched upon availability due to him being in WA. Readily available in Vic who I think would be good candidates, and of course anyone is entitled to disagree, would be Heston Blue Chip, Pet Rock and Rock n Roll Heaven. And of course it's never all about the pedigree, the qualities, or lack of, in the phenotype of the actual horses needs to be taken into consideration.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Decent prospect for sure Kev, Look at her with Lennytheshark, Maybe Martin should snap her up, That’s only a stab in the dark though as far as possible mates are concerned and a lot further research if I owned her, Dot is right on the money, There’s a lot to work with

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Hi Kevin, the middle and bottom market for broodmares is tough atm.

As a guide, the Courage Under Fire mare KILIFI FIRE 1:54.9, 10 wins (U30) family was advertised for $1500. She didn't get an enquiry until her priced drop to $500. see
    http://www.standardbredtrader.com.au...detail/07Z2302

Thanks,
    Last edited by alphastud; 06-06-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wow that is a really bad sign.
    Another sub 1.55 mare, from a better stallion, from a top family with 3 champions close up - Karloo Mick, Monkey King and Iraklis
    $500
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Wow that is a really bad sign.
    Another sub 1.55 mare, from a better stallion, from a top family with 3 champions close up - Karloo Mick, Monkey King and Iraklis
    $500
    People can draw their own conclusions I will just present 4 facts.

Kilifi Fire 1.54.9 Jan 2013
    Kilifi Fire 1.55 Feb 2013
    Trainer gets positive swab June 2013
    Kilifi Fire record with other trainers 5 wins, 1.57.9, about $25000

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Wow Brendan,

That's harsh without context and I don't think that this affected KF's price.

If it did then we should see it affect Stallion service prices, yearling sale prices etc.

Many stallions are from stables that have had positive swabs.

x - did Kilifi Fire return a positive?
    x - have any other horses in the family of Kilifi Fire returned a positive?
    x - how many times has the trainer been disqualified?
    x - does / did the trainer have an unusually high strike rate?
    Last edited by alphastud; 06-06-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I think you'll find Richard that there are people, perhaps not that many, who take integrity matters into account when making their selections on the things you've listed. Historically in the U.S. at least there have been trainers who were regarded as stallion making trainers and those considered chemical trainers. With an increasing number of local stallions going to stud here again perhaps one day we will be levelling similar judgements.

Whether Kilifi Fires trainers indiscretions impacted on her value or not will always be a matter of opinion. What isn't opinion given our focus on fast times is HRA's inadequate data base which doesn't indicate the size of the track a horse mark is taken. Kilifi Fires mark was taken at Menangle which gives many horses a benefit in their record over others racing on smaller tracks.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    At least there is a Performance tab from which you can see all the horse's races with the track listed Dot - as far as steering clear of trainers the HRA database is not as much help as it does not even list trainers!
    The consolation is that if the horse has won a race you can go to that date and see who trained it for that start
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Greg Hando will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hando
    Lis Mara maybe not the worst around but just lacks the top liner as so many sires need to kick on
    Lis Mara in Aus 166 3yo and older 84 strs for 50 wnrs 30% w/f
    in NZ 278 3yo and up 128 strs for 100 wnrs 36% w/f
    Have whoever you want on but don't ever have yourself on

+ Reply to Thread