Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (another) Breeding question

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove

(another) Breeding question

The other day triplev used the name "Frank Marrion" in one of his posts. Didn't know who that was so did a search and think found person. Found article on harnesslink here;

https://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=66501

where a Frank Marrion interviewed. Always interested in breeding chat so had a read of it. Have a Life Sign 2yo filly that might breed from one day so particulary interested in the bit of the interview relating to Life Sign mares as per following;

"I would have no problem breeding say a Life Sign mare to American Ideal.

The latter is a 4x3 Rasmussen to sisters in Angel Hair and Ambiguity through his sire Western Ideal and dam Lifetime Success being from the same family, and Life Sign is a grandson of Ambiguity.

That foal would therefore have three crosses to K Nora and have a 3x3 double up to Three Diamonds, but as I would consider her a ‘superior (mare) individual', I would consider that a plus given that the foal belongs to a different maternal family.

That foal also provides for a 4x3 reverse sex cross to Abercrombie and a 4x4 paternal cross to Direct Scooter, which looks like a lot of crosses or linebreeding, depending upon your preferences for that terminology, but it is actually a nice balance of matching the speed factor of Direct Scooter and the more genuine characteristics of the Abercrombie line.

What I wouldn't do though is cross a Life Sign mare which hadn't possessed any ‘top end' speed to say a son of Artsplace to result in 3x3 line breeding to Abercrombie."

But got question. No mention of any particular mare in interview. Just "a Life Sign mare" as above. I printed out American Ideals pedigree and printed out my Life Sign fillys pedigree and lined them up and then re-read above. Can understand everything said in above but not the "and a 4x4 paternal cross to Direct Scooter".

Direct Scooter not in Life Signs pedigree anywhere so how can be a 4x4 cross to him?

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    Hi Toohard,

I can forward your email to Frank if you wish

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    Gday Trevor

Is it a silly question? I'm missing something obvious? If not then yeh forward me message to Frank.

By the way congrats on the SBSW filly. Can I ask you a silly question? Always like looking at the breeding of the ones bred by the ones 'in the know' and those that been doing for a lot longer than me. Both Localize and Socialize didn't have many race starts. Socialize none?

Silly question.... how come? Coz they super well bred fillies they worth more as broodmares than racing prospects?

Cheers and congrats again

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    If Frank's Life Sign mare was from a daughter of In The Pocket for example, then breeding her to American Ideal would result in a 4x4 cross to Direct Scooter.
    I don't know exactly what is meant by 4x4 paternal cross but am guessing that is what he is talking about

Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    OK thanks Trevor. Article just said "a Life Sign mare" but putting your explanation to it makes sense now. Thanks again. Cheers.

triplev123
    G'day Paul,

Above all else, Frank has always been very big on conformation.
    In particular he places a great deal of importance on their back knees.

+ Reply to Thread