Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 MM and the Lead ups

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

2018 MM and the Lead ups

Well Jilliby Kung Fu got the first invite after the Chariots and here are the fields for the Allied Express and the Canadian Club

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=PC170218
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Only makes sense that a 4 year-old gets the first invite. Horses such as Lazarus need to do more to earn an invitation!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Only makes sense that a 4 year-old gets the first invite. Horses such as Lazarus need to do more to earn an invitation!
    Lazarus blows the start in the Canadian Club and doesn't run a place - what do they do then?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Top 2 from this weeks lead ups get invited. Plus the Chariots winner means still 3 invites leftover. That leaves plenty of leeway for a star having a howler or missing the start to still be invited.
    So what Kung Fu got invited first, the two lead ups this week give the best chance of getting the top 8 into the final field regardless of the order they are invited. Its not like Lazarus is going to miss out on an invite and we are blessed to see him go around one more time so whats the problem?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    There is no problem but maybe HRNSW doesn't need to play games to the extent that they do (ooh ooh suspense) and simply invite the horse that is clearly the best horse in the southern hemisphere simply because he's in work leading up to the race and they should be honored to have his stable accept

I seem to remember them, in the past, insisting that champions deserving of an automatic invite, had to compete in one of the lead-ups
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Top 2 from this weeks lead ups get invited. Plus the Chariots winner means still 3 invites leftover. That leaves plenty of leeway for a star having a howler or missing the start to still be invited.
    So what Kung Fu got invited first, the two lead ups this week give the best chance of getting the top 8 into the final field regardless of the order they are invited. Its not like Lazarus is going to miss out on an invite and we are blessed to see him go around one more time so whats the problem?
    Adding to Breno's, wouldn't be a bad idea that Laz should have to run this week to qualify...not that he wouldn't get an invite...the MM qualifying conditions ensures a great card this week. You'd want Lazarus & Co to roll up for two weeks, wouldn't you?

p.s. What price Atomic Red this week Breno?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    There is no problem but maybe HRNSW doesn't need to play games to the extent that they do (ooh ooh suspense) and simply invite the horse that is clearly the best horse in the southern hemisphere simply because he's in work leading up to the race and they should be honored to have his stable accept

I seem to remember them, in the past, insisting that champions deserving of an automatic invite, had to compete in one of the lead-ups
    Still exists? Nought wrong with that Kev, post #6

I think we should still go with all stables are lured by the $750,000 and will roll up as required by those who offer the money.

Purely a chronological thing, the Chariots run before this week that Kung Fu got the first invite...as much as the suspense? But the MM field selection has always been open to controversy, not a bad thing.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Maybe we will just disagree on this one Wayne.
    Can you imagine the gallopers telling Winx's stable she MUST compete the week before the Cox Plate

You can have your automatic qualifying races like HRNSW do (as does the Melbourne Cup) but if a trainer wants to miss a week and let his horse's previous record do the talking - why not. On reflection and counter to my earlier post, I will concede that, if this option was in place then it is probably fair not to invite the final 3 until all the qualifiers are run and won

Alternatively you can just call them heats but can you then have invitations too?

Overall you are right - it is not a Biggie

I guess controversy falls under the saying that all publicity is good publicity?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Maybe we will just disagree on this one Wayne.
    Can you imagine the gallopers telling Winx's stable she MUST compete the week before the Cox Plate

You can have your automatic qualifying races like HRNSW do (as does the Melbourne Cup) but if a trainer wants to miss a week and let his horse's previous record do the talking - why not. On reflection and counter to my earlier post, I will concede that, if this option was in place then it is probably fair not to invite the final 3 until all the qualifiers are run and won

Alternatively you can just call them heats but can you then have invitations too?

Overall you are right - it is not a Biggie

I guess controversy falls under the saying that all publicity is good publicity?
    Kev, Hawthorn won 3 straight flags and I seem to recall them having to play the week before in the Prelim final in each of those years.

Any sport biggest days are when the cream are on display, whether it be AFL or NRL finals, or the Spring Carnival or harness racing. The more chances the public gets to see Lazarus race the better. Isn't there a ways to improve harness racing thread. I would say having Lazarus race instead of at home in the stable would be a great way to improve harness racing.

The gallops have a big point of difference with different distances 1200m, 1600m, 2000m and 2400m potentially having Gp1s on the same day. For us to have two open age races of such quality on the same day is really unique for us (apart from the ID heats where the quality is a bit more diluted over 3 heats) and a great selling point for the Menangle meeting. I think its fantastic. Could easily have already invited Laz, Lenny, Soho, Heaven Rocks, Tiger Tara and just be having a glorified weekly Menangle FFA this week but instead we have two excellent fields so its a fantastic result for harness racing.

The other thing with having Lazarus, Lenny, Soho, Heaven Rocks and Tiger Tara race this week is because the more stars you in have the heats the less chance a second tier horse is of causing an upset with an easy run, thus we get a higher quality Miracle Mile field and there is actually a whole lot less chance of a controversial invitation being given out because every horse is under the spotlight on the same night.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Adding to Breno's, wouldn't be a bad idea that Laz should have to run this week to qualify...not that he wouldn't get an invite...the MM qualifying conditions ensures a great card this week. You'd want Lazarus & Co to roll up for two weeks, wouldn't you?

p.s. What price Atomic Red this week Breno?
    Really interesting heat with him stepping up to the FFAs. I do wonder if he will be able to repeat the run, he was only second up and a 7 day backup could be tough on him. I see TAB have opened him up $14. I think thats about right.

+ Reply to Thread