Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NZ & Aus: Direct Scooter/Abercrombie

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist

NZ & Aus: Direct Scooter/Abercrombie

Why does the Direct Scooter line work so much better in NZ than it does in Aus?

and in turn...

Why does the Abercrombie line work so much better in Aus than it does in NZ?

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Do you have any theories? Would be keen to hear any view.

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    G'day Emma,

So would I.
    I've long thought it was because of the influence of the maternal sires/sirelines found in the broodmare bands of each country...but as with nearly all such things that's my best guess. The subject of why some sires/sirelines fire in the US but not here in AUS nor NZ, why some fire in NZ but don't get hot here and why others still will fire away here in AUS but at the same time fail to reproduce it in NZ has long fascinated me.

Senior Member 4YO Don Corleone has a spectacular aura about Don Corleone's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Fidow
    Occupation
    Sec Cons
    Interesting question you raise triple. I too have wondered why certain sires and sirelines don't make it here in NZ and yet over your way they come out running. I am thinking that the broodmare and her lineage must have something to do with it but I hasten to add that over the past few generations NZ and Aust breeding lines are one and the same, therefore I think its perception. By that I mean it seems here in NZ if a sire or it's sireline doesn't make it very quickly he is put on the scrap heap and not really given a chance. Stud's are masters at telling you that this line, sire, or sireline is no good and for the majority, the people listen to them. Where as in Aust you seem to be more "forgiving" and accept only what you see as a result.
    Years ago I was once told by a top stud that the Abercrombie line would never win a classic race in NZ. I have been told by another stud that the Cam Fella line wouldn't have any influence in NZ. Yet the best was that Direct Scooters could only leave milers.
    So while Abercrombie has a much better record in Aust, I think that a lot of his line has never really been given a good chance of imprinting himself here.
    But to be honest, I haven't clue why one does better here in NZ than in Aust and vice-versa, it is just a theory of mine.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    I'm with you Ray. I think the success of Direct Scooter sire line in NZ and not in Australia is mostly to do with the fact that In The Pocket found his way to NZ instead of Australia. Had it been the other way around I believe that sireline would have also been very successful in Australia. We haven't been very well represented by that sireline over here but I am confident that ITP, CC, CUF and Mach Three would all have done great jobs in Australia had it been their fate to have stood here.
    With the Abercrombie sireline, I think it is the same in reverse and I think the belief that the Abercrombie sireline doesn't work in NZ will weaken as time goes on. Dream Away has been reasonably successful over there and Art Major seems to be doing equally as well in NZ as in Australia.
    Most "Australian" mares trace back to a NZ mare somewhere in the last few generations and since transported semen came on the scene both countries are sharing the top stallions, so I find it hard to accept that there is a significant difference in the respective gene pools.
    Last edited by eliteblood; 04-02-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Junior Member Foal breakthebank will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    John Munro

A Theory

Quote Originally Posted by Triple V View Post
    Why does the Direct Scooter line work so much better in NZ than it does in Aus?

and in turn...

Why does the Abercrombie line work so much better in Aus than it does in NZ?
    NZ has historically preferred Meadow Skipper lines while Aus has preferred Adios lines. ITP has Tar Heel and Meadow skipper maternally and his top progeny mostly show this cross, especially multiple doubles back to Tar Heel.
    ITP had a great source of mares that fitted the profile - Vance Hanover, Holmes Hanover and Sokys Atom.

Abercrombie is Duane Hanover and The Widower(Abbe line) maternally and repeats of this cross show up in his top progeny such as Artsplace and Life Sign - with Adios bringing Abbedale a couple of generations closer up in the pedigree than Meadow Skipper does

+ Reply to Thread