Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grand Circuit

aussiebreno
    Glad it didnt take the Tas Cup to wake you up to the fact. Agree with all the other stuff you posted.

When judging the (aust) Grand Circuit horses I look at 4 races.
    Inter
    Miracle Mile
    Vic Cup
    Hunter Cup

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    When judging the (aust) Grand Circuit horses I look at 4 races.
    Inter
    Miracle Mile
    Vic Cup
    Hunter Cup
    Yep, agree mostly but the Hunter Cup isn't quite the same these days purely because of the reluctance of trainers/owners to start off 20 or 30 metre handicaps. In days gone by you would see Blossom Lady, Golden Reign, Sinbad Bay etc start off big handicaps and still be very competitive...

Imagine this year's Hunter Cup with BAF (if he were to go down to Melb) off 30m, Mr Feelgood off 30m, Smoken Up off 30m .. and throw in Melpark Major, Villagem, some kiwi horses.. now that would be a Hunter Cup and a half.

Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    We have heats and eliminations for some races the main big race is the Inter but non of these are run on the same day nearly always a week apart. For some of the bigger group 1 races we race for ballot exemptions as in the Cranbourne Cup the winner will be exempt from ballot into the $425,000 Victoria Cup this encourages trainers to take their guns to the country cup mettings here in Victoria
    If some trainers had this attitude when contemplating whether to take their charges to 'lesser' grand circuit races then this could boost the quality of races like the Tas Cup and the SA Cup.

Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Finally, I hope Lance kills the SA Cup and Smoken Up wins it especially after what happened to him last year...
    Lance gets his chance to exact revenge on Mister Zion. I can't see Smoken Up being trapped three wide like last year. Surely he'll end up in the death or even lead.. a driver would be mad trying to outstay him by keeping him out.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by peacheymagic View Post
    It is fair to say the grand circuit is currently being dominated by a number of older horses in BAF, Monkey King, Smoken Up and Mr Feelgood but I think 2011 could see a number of young guns like Villagem, Stunnin Cullen and Sleepy Tripp win some major races. Not to mention the great crop of 4yo's coming up behind them like Lanercost, Smiling Shard, Franco Emirate, Franco Jamar, Sir Lincoln, De Lovely and others so I think the future is bright.
    I agree - all our Grand Circuit stars are all aged and many will not be around in the next season or two. The (current) crop of 4yos (last year's 3yos) were outstanding. They are the stars of the future IMHO...

+ Reply to Thread