Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: He's baaaack!

Senior Member Colt The Escape Club will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Robert Salathiel
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoken View Post
    That's a risk Cockburn should have taken, as then Quinny would have been posted the trip & that devastating sprint he has would have been taken out of his legs. GHJ obviously somehow knew that nothing was going to come 3 wide to possibly pocket him in, not with Avonnova in front of him.
    I know I'm just repeating myself here BUT, do you guys really believe if Quinny was stuck in the death, he would have won or finished ahead of Avonnova? And Kev, I don't look at a horses stake money to decide wether that defines them as one of the greatest horse. Trigger always won that Inter fair and square regardless of what transpired afterwards. I would love to see Trigger and Quinny go at it again, if Trigger was in his prime. Now that's exciting!

Yep, he's just getting warmed up over that short distance but it's all academic, race is run and won. We'll never know.

If you wanted a match race between the two in their prime, I'd chuck Poppy in to make it really interesting.

Senior Member 4YO Smoken will become famous soon enough Smoken's Avatar
    Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Is that the race where Karloo Mick finish second Brent? If so, I remember that clearly. Quinny went berzerk with Trigger, then Trigger immediately pulled of his back when crossed, from there Quinny had a dream run but managed 3rd. The excitement of those years watching 2 great horses go at it was amazing! Robert, I could throw in Gammalite, Village kid as well, and some of my fav's from the 90's- Iraklis, Franco Tiger, Franco Ice, etc etc. I had a very soft spot for Sinbad Bay. What a horse! So many greats.

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    It's great that all of us are so excited about these horses today & passionate, regardless of opinions or favourite horses.

Maybe the other drivers were reading the Courier Mail...
    The chastening news for tonight’s rivals is that Hall believes his horse will be improved by the run but he may have no option from the wide draw to go back tonight and bank on its electric final sprint.

Did Hall Snr play mind games with them..
    Last edited by Smoken; 07-06-2014 at 04:11 PM.

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    I would like to say that as much as I give Bart a -1/10 for last nights drive, he is definitely a serious young driver. Never a 2nd thought enters my mind when backing one of his charges.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Always good to keep the opposition in 2 minds if you have a good horse.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The circumstances of his win as Brent described is the only thing I'm going on about, I have not once bagged Quinny in this thread or has anyone else. Anyway you look at it, he was handed that race!
    I have been out walking but have to reply to this one Ev as you do not seem to realize how your posts read. You have not bagged Quinny so much as inferred he is not a great horse. 2 eg's from earlier posts of yours

"I suppose it comes down to personal preference in what constitutes a great horse or a great race"

"I don't look at a horses stake money to decide wether that defines them as one of the greatest horse"

but I could be wrong, all you have to do is reply that Quinny is a great horse
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    I have no problem in saying Quinny is a great horse at all. I personally prefer horses like the style of Trigger who are warriors more than flashy brilliant type, but that doesn't mean they aren't both greats in there own way. Yesterday was not a great race IMO, regardless that they smashed the record. Yes, it is what it is, but it is what it is because of that very poor drive from Cockburn. He was making it clear as day that he would not give up the breeze to Quinn, yet he easily let him slide to the breeze, only then to overtake him. Hasn't Cockburn seen what Quinny can do from such a close position, let alone the 1/1..? Horrible drive! And SSL must have thought it was a trial.

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    We will be seeing Quinny in the FFA this coming weekend.. GHS wants to keep him sharp for the BAF in a fortnight. Let's hope that they don't just hand it to him on a silver platter this time

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have no problem in saying Quinny is a great horse at all. I personally prefer horses like the style of Trigger who are warriors more than flashy brilliant type, but that doesn't mean they aren't both greats in there own way. Yesterday was not a great race IMO, regardless that they smashed the record. Yes, it is what it is, but it is what it is because of that very poor drive from Cockburn. He was making it clear as day that he would not give up the breeze to Quinn, yet he easily let him slide to the breeze, only then to overtake him. Hasn't Cockburn seen what Quinny can do from such a close position, let alone the 1/1..? Horrible drive! And SSL must have thought it was a trial.
    Look you guys are right that the drive did not make any sense in that if he wanted the death why did he not keep ITMQ out at the start because as you say he offered no resistance then.
    Only Cockburn can tell us what he was thinking. Maybe he thinks as quickly as me (hold on while I pin this big ticket on myself) for I was just thinking that GHJ is taking hold to look for cover and almost instantaneously Avonnova was off. Not that that means he should have provided it unless he was sure SSL was coming but he may have preferred to try doing a SU from the death than be 1x2. I'm not sure any of them expected Lauren to set such a smashing pace.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Evangelos Paps
    Yep Kevin, I'm starting to think that Cockburn thought that Avonnova was Smoken Up, there can be no other explanation. If he had allowed Quinny in the death, he would have allowed Avonnova the best possible chance to win or at least run second, & the punters wouldn't have nothing to be complaining about at all. Let's all wait and see what happens this week in the FFA.
    I am keen to see which horses are nominated.. Avonnova needs a week off, he was gassed last night! I had a feeling MB would seriously run them along, but I also thought SSL would do something more than what he did. Dragged back to the tail from the very start.. Pointless!

+ Reply to Thread