Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is This Why Harness Racing Cannot Be Sold To New Players?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Is This Why Harness Racing Cannot Be Sold To New Players?

After the Breeders Crown series at Melton on Saturday night a mate sends me a message about why does Purdon hand up on Follow The Stars to Alford on Menin Gate? It is patently obvious to me that Purdon has done everything possible to give his horse the best chance to win the final after working early, by eventually taking the trail behind his biggest danger.

The problem here for my mate who is a punter, but doesn't really understand how harness racing works, is that he sees that as a move that is detrimental to Follow The Stars chances. Any half interested harness fan would totally understand Purdon taking the sit.

This perception of seeing a horse being put on the pegs and running dead is like a big flashing red warning light in a mug punters mind. Because of harness racing's own distinct peculiarities in it's racing style, the prospect of selling the virtues of the product to new players must be a forlorn hope for public relations officers...even when the best are racing the best, as was the case on Saturday night.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Brad, I would have thought that a punter would know about sprint lanes - if there was not one at Melton, then I could understand the question. I think the big problem is that sprint lanes have to be at all or no tracks (I favour the later but it won't happen). I also think that in heats and finals type series we have to make it VERY attractive to win the lead up races not just place, so that punters do not ask questions about horses handing up at tracks with no sprint lane
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread