Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Victorian Interdominion

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    All will be OK with Cranbourne on a Saturday night. Our big-hearted government funded the expansion of the Monash Freeway to 5 lanes in each direction. When completed, the bottleneck will have moved from Stud Road to the Cranbourne turnoff, so those thinking hey are getting a good run will have to wait a few minutes more before realizing they have been sucked in. And, from next week, the first section of the new Skyrail on the Pakenham and Cranbourne rail lines, opens. This replaces multiple level crossings and those travelling by train will have a panoramic view of traffic jams.

Seriously, though, Cranbourne is a good choice and brings premier racing to Melbourne's south-east. I will be there, and that is something I have never said about Melton. And Cranbourne has a decent grandstand whereas Melton has something resembling rows of seats atop shipping containers!

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Both Cranbourne and Melton/Ballarat are nightmares to get to from the wrong side of town on a week night between 4 and 7pm.
    I was thinking with Ballarat area only having 100,000 population most of the crowd would be coming from Melbourne . With Cranbourne being within range of several million it would have more chance of a maximum crowd on a week night.
    Most of the people driving to Ballarat will have to drive past the Melton track and will be thinking why don't they just save us the drive and have it here ?
    I assume the whole show will be judged on turnover so maximum crowds won't be a major consideration.
    Of course there is the fact that none of the 3 tracks can handle a large crowd so the days of 40,000 odd cramming in to see Preux Chevalier win an ID can not be relived.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Cranbourne on a week night is to most fans the opposite to Melton on a weeknight to most in the south-east. Saturday night should be very good. I would argue Cranbourne is at least the equal of Melton when it comes to catering for a crowd.

And you can get there by Metro train (with a bus to the track). Try catching a choo-choo to Melton!

Member Gelding David Martin will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    David Martin
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Both Cranbourne and Melton/Ballarat are nightmares to get to from the wrong side of town on a week night between 4 and 7pm.
    I was thinking with Ballarat area only having 100,000 population most of the crowd would be coming from Melbourne . With Cranbourne being within range of several million it would have more chance of a maximum crowd on a week night.
    Most of the people driving to Ballarat will have to drive past the Melton track and will be thinking why don't they just save us the drive and have it here ?
    I assume the whole show will be judged on turnover so maximum crowds won't be a major consideration.
    Of course there is the fact that none of the 3 tracks can handle a large crowd so the days of 40,000 odd cramming in to see Preux Chevalier win an ID can not be relived.

Hi Rick,

Reading this it would appear that Melton, Cranbourne and Ballarat are all no good for hosting the ID, and presumably you would find a negative with any club chosen. It's disappointing that despite your long involvement in the industry, you continue to find negatives rather than look for ways to help promote the sport. On Saturday you said "I apologise for my negativity" and said that "I can't support it but will try not to criticise it until it's over." Well you made it to Monday....

I and others are working hard to turn every aspect of this industry around, and as part of that we want to make the first ID held in Melbourne for 10 years a successful event. I look forward to working with people who are similarly committed to the future of this industry.

David

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by David Martin View Post
    Hi Rick,

Reading this it would appear that Melton, Cranbourne and Ballarat are all no good for hosting the ID, and presumably you would find a negative with any club chosen. It's disappointing that despite your long involvement in the industry, you continue to find negatives rather than look for ways to help promote the sport. On Saturday you said "I apologise for my negativity" and said that "I can't support it but will try not to criticise it until it's over." Well you made it to Monday....

I and others are working hard to turn every aspect of this industry around, and as part of that we want to make the first ID held in Melbourne for 10 years a successful event. I look forward to working with people who are similarly committed to the future of this industry.

David
    A bit harsh David, I see the logic Rick is applying - that Cranbourne midweek has millions to call upon that would not have to cross the city.
    On the other hand Rick, I think you are being an optimist if you think there will be huge numbers driving past Melton to go to Ballarat - IMO the majority of the non locals at Ballarat will be from Melton

Maybe the real problem is that we do not have a true Metro track - one that would NOT require patrons on any fringe to drive across the city but simply into it (or better still have a public transport option)
    Due to the failure of past administrations no such option exists

Another day (soon) maybe we need to decide whether this is the greatest impediment to maximizing the potential of our sport
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by David Martin View Post
    Hi Rick,

David
    Rick still raised valid points. Any comment on those points, or that the initial idea of opening up the heats away from Melton was said to be to take the good horses to the people, yet its the two tracks geographically closest to Melton that have been chosen?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    A rock and a hard place, any decision would have it's controversies. Our main track location possibly the crux of it. Turnover probably is king, for good reason. Possibly had to go with Cranbourne as one of the first venues. Just for interest sake, what if it turns out the figures are through the roof in all KPI's. Would you change venues next time around?

So, what about this sprint lane thing? If Ballarat adds one can they revert? What if there's a Ballarat meet following close behind the ID heats, wouldn't newcomers be expecting a sprint lane? What's wrong with no sprint lane?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Wayne, I think it's human nature to like/expect consistency.
    Imagine if the in the AFL finals they paid 9pts for a 50m goal at every ground except the MCG.
    The punters bemoaning "If we had been playing interstate. ....."
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    David, I accept where the heats are being held and have been clear that I think they should all be at Melton. I just can't see the logic in not giving Cranbourne the week night heat as I have explained. Negativity and facts are two different things.
    If I wasn't concerned for the future of our sport I wouldn't bother commenting or pouring thousands of dollars a year into it. You did ask for suggestions and with all respect in my time in the sport I have seen many people in your position come and go . Many just using the position to advance their political aspirations and having little regard for the mess they leave behind. The ID is a big chance to attract new people to the sport and I don't want it wasted. As you can see on this forum and on twitter I am not alone. People on these forums are the industry and we continue to only hear about major decisions after they have been made.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Adaptor will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Noel Ridge
    Quote Originally Posted by Showgrounds View Post
    Cranbourne on a week night is to most fans the opposite to Melton on a weeknight to most in the south-east. Saturday night should be very good. I would argue Cranbourne is at least the equal of Melton when it comes to catering for a crowd.

And you can get there by Metro train (with a bus to the track). Try catching a choo-choo to Melton!
    Really good points Trevor.
    Train, bus or a good freeway, or join the half of greater Melbourne ( 2 or more million and counting) that are on that side !

I spent time living in Brooklyn in New york, and getting to the Meadowlands was: 3 subway lines, to a bus at the Port Authority, then brave the Lincoln Tunnel crush to Secaucaus and the racetrack stuck out like a sore thumb with Giant Stadium and the Continental Arena . In winter it snowed.
    The reverse was ordinary as no buses left until after the last race, often after the 13th. But for the Saturday night racing especially the Hambletonian or Meadowlands Pace it was worth the hassle. I never drove there...way too hard.

Yonkers was even trickier. Subways to the last stop in the Bronx..then get a dollar cab, share it with as many fit in, or try and figure out the bus...in the Bronx !!!
    Then about a mile ( walked a few times) to the Yonkers Track in one of the most unsavoury neighbourhoods you could imagine.
    But it was worth it for the Yonkers Trot, and the Levi and any of the great stakes horses that scorched around the half miler..like Cams Cardshark, Western Ideal
    The Panderosa, Windsong,s Legacy, Glidemaster etc, let alone the champion drivers, Campbell, La Chance, Pierce, Sears, Brennan, and once Bill O'Donnell.
    I figure that for the most important races in the southern hemisphere, The Interdominion Pace and Trot, ....you get to whatever track the races are on, any way you can.
    Bring it on !
    Last edited by Adaptor; 02-13-2018 at 09:56 PM.

+ Reply to Thread