Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 50 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by David Martin View Post
    And then 22 races on Friday...
    Mildura is a godsend for Vic - it is like a state within the state
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    From my Odds On spreadsheet for the last 2 months I calculate that for June and July we are averaging almost exactly 9 races per meeting
    August is threatening to bring this average down as even by Saturday our August average will only be 8.2

We have a strategy in place to reduce our number of meets but increase the size of the programmes
    Admittedly this is Winter!

With season's end fast approaching, the annual figures will soon be available to see how well we managed to increase program sizes.
    I hope/think these figures are available state by state (not just Nationally)
    Hopefully larger programmes have not been at the expense of field sizes, no doubt we want an average of 8+ per field but I imagine anything over 9 is icing and probably not a factor in improving turnover

It would be interesting to know which is better for turnover
    a race split into 2 fields of 6
    or a full field of 12 (or 10 with 2 emergencies on our smaller tracks)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    In my experience Kev in NSW field size was paramount for turnover, and why they went to 12 horse fields at Menangle and Newcastle even though the tracks were designed for fields of 10 all across the front. Keeping field sizes up is also considered paramount in WA, and I believe the newly appointed CEO in SA in a podcast interview in the last week also spoke of the importance of keeping up field sizes.

It appears that Vic is the odd state out......

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Will be interesting to see how the meetings hold up after September 1 when the 2yo races disappear for 3 to 4 months .

I probably should be booking myself in at a psychiatrists because I just got myself a new broodmare !
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    Will be interesting to see how the meetings hold up after September 1 when the 2yo races disappear for 3 to 4 months .

I probably should be booking myself in at a psychiatrists because I just got myself a new broodmare !
    The beginning of the turn around for the breeding industry? Good luck

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post

Think of the excitement - I hope she is close enough to visit
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Nice

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    I just hope there is still an industry left when my next foal is old enough to race.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Colt alphastud will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Richard .
    Occupation
    1300 078 237
    Horses
    TIGER TARA NZ $3,500, LIVE OR DIE USA
    Bathurst blues - August

1 Aug - 7 races
    8 Aug - 6 races
    15 Aug - 6 races
    22 Aug - 6 races

Following an exiting breeders challenge series at Bathurst, racing has dropped-off. Not sure if this is consistent with other years during winter.

Good track, great facilities etc.

Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Heard an ad for the Breeders Crown finals on 3aw today during Niel Mitchell's show. It's great that they are promoting the event but personally I don't think this is the best place to do it. I thought they were aiming for the 18 to 30 yo demographic , during the footy and sports shows on 3aw would be ok but I would have thought FM radio and the sports stations would give better results.
    Don't die wondering !

+ Reply to Thread