Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What do you think of ALL trotting gait meets like Melton tonight?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

What do you think of ALL trotting gait meets like Melton tonight?

I can see why they would choose this particular Saturday as a point of difference from Menangle's card - whom they were not going to be able to compete with, with a pacing card

I don't get many opportunities to get to Melton but I wouldn't go for an all trotting card
    I don't dislike the gait and I am not a punter

I think, if I was to put it crudely, they are like the minor league in this country
    They don't have as many 2yo and 3yo races in a season like the pacers have and I like to follow horses right from their juvenile days. Weight of numbers I know

Are nights like this a way to change things or are they better off finding converts on a mixed gait program?

Thoughts?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I can see why they would choose this particular Saturday as a point of difference from Menangle's card - whom they were not going to be able to compete with, with a pacing card

I don't get many opportunities to get to Melton but I wouldn't go for an all trotting card

I think, if I was to put it crudely, they are like the minor league in this country
    They don't have as many 2yo and 3yo races in a season like the pacers have and I like to follow horses right from their juvenile days. Weight of numbers I know

Are nights like this a way to change things or are they better off finding converts on a mixed gait program?

Thoughts?
    I think its great because I can watch Carltons pre season game while only having to switch the channel to Sky every 30mins for Menangle (plus once for Tornado Valley)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Typical Carlton supporter 😉

(Yes, I'm one too)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Colt Yabbie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Bass
    Occupation
    Paralegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post

Thoughts?

This meeting is all trotters specifically for the Team Teal fundraiser (into research and a cure for ovarian cancer) which was started by Duncan McPherson of Aldabaran Park in memory of his late wife Lyn. There are some qualifying races run at various tracks into finals on the night and includes the Trotting Grand Prix as the feature event. Saturday's was the 11th running of the night. It is always a great night with good competitive racing.

Trotting is a fast growing gait and I think you will find there may be more meetings like this in the future.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Victoria went all in for trotting but with the demise of the French interest and the scaling back of Yabby Dam, we are still waiting see
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread