Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have done the 100 day challenge

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

I have done the 100 day challenge

Alleluia! Tomorrow is Stawell Harness, it has been over 100 days since our last meeting
    (Mar 20)

You didn't think I was talking about gambling did you
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-29-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Fantastic Kev, Don't be afraid to wear the Ugg boots but they might need some Scotchguard lol.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    You ought to come to Warragul Kev - after our August meeting we have 111 days until our next one - how many times will I be unable to see Master Kiesey race on my home track during that period!!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I call it poor programming Kyle. If you want to keep locals interested you are taking a risk IMO if there is more than 8wks between meetings.
    As for you Prior - Ugg boots, don't you mean R.M.Williams!

Don't have either actually but would like some RM's
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Hahahahaha,Sorry Kev. Hope it's a great day mate.
    Last edited by Richard prior; 06-29-2014 at 10:36 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    Speaking from my involvement, venues such as Warragul (in particular), Stawell and Ararat, being half mile tracks that were mooted for upgrade in the V3 brochure in 2005 (nearly 10 years ago) now rank down the list owing to their size and popularity with punters - generating lower betting turnover.

With a limited number of meetings able to be run because of the lower horse and participant population, naturally the bulk of meetings will be staged on bigger tracks in areas where field sizes won't be a problem.

Using Warragul as an example, the club has been told there will be no extra meetings allocated even with a track rebuild/upgrade, so I would assume the other two venues would be in the same boat. They have all had their dates reduced over recent years - and there is always a report or set of stats at the ready to combat any plea from a club when they ask for more meets.

Warragul is now proposing a facelift of its existing track, rather than an extension, due to the industry money having been spent elsewhere in the 9-1/2 years since V3. This will mean they will retain a half-mile track, but with the same camber/crossfall as the bigger ones, which will be interesting. It will likely be the fastest half-mile circuit in Australia, and it will punch a hole in the argument of "bigger track, faster time" if they come out and rate low 1:50's on it.

Unfortunate, yes but a sad fact of the current industry. Maybe when the land is sold/leased/developed at Melton there will be funds again to address these venues as they are all "pioneer" venues of government run trotting and deserve the opportunities the "big boys" have been given in my opinion.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Another wonderful day's racing at Stawell this afternoon

The temp was only 8c (felt like 4c) when the first trot on the program was won by Kapunda raider Marcus 'Hearl' - don't worry the punters weren't about to, as Boundary Row was the $1.90 fav. This short price could be attributed to the bus loads of local seniors on track misreading the race book and thinking local hero Healy had another Maori's idol going around *

The nostalgia bus really picked up steam and cash when a Barker trained a $10 winner in the second

The retirement village were all contemplating moving to warmer Queensland waters when local Concongella trainer Owen Martin had Usage salute in the third

The piggy bank kept growing thanks to the Carlton supporters amongst the silver foxes as Lovable Nick got up at $14 in the second of the trots

If you have seen the movie Let It Ride (compulsory viewing for all horse punters) you know how the day panned out

Even the sun was coming out now and the temp was 11c and even felt like it (hot for us lately!)

Next Western Districts legend Kevin Brough answers our prayers with Just Like Elle at $12. Yep I had joined the party now and wouldn't you know it - my wonderful rendition of Tom Dooley led us into Lotsa Life trained by Basil Dooley (a distant relie). The oldies are a tough gig however and they told me to 'hang down my head' after Dooleys horse paid only $1.50

The Manning girls were coming up next however - surely you have seen the sign welcoming you as you enter Great Western (Home of Harness Champion Driver Kerryn Manning), we were betwixt and between so we backed both Kerryn and Michelle's horses and wouldn't you know it - the longer of the two Wheatsheaf Avaball got up at $10 so we were rolling in the hay

I left before the last as I found out that I was not part of the punting pool as I had not put in my 50c before race 1 - I just had to be Faraway Man. I heard the old buggers put their money on something that Craven trained

I have never seen such grey power - I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed around to fleece the regular Monday night Poker school

* No disrespect intended towards our legendary senior followers as I am only one campaign away from being in the same paddock
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Toohard will become famous soon enough Toohard's Avatar
    Real Name
    Paul Humphreys
    Horses
    PalaisDuLouvre,Trip 7s, AnythingForLove
    Nice work Kev

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Alleluia! Tomorrow is Stawell Harness, it has been over 100 days since our last meeting
    (Mar 20)

You didn't think I was talking about gambling did you
    No, I thought you were talking about Kiesey!

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Lol Brendan, I saw the man going around and explained to my missus that Candy Digger would not win the trot because he had had 3 days off after 3 runs in 4 days
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread