Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy database Batman - Foal Numbers

Senior Member Horse Of The Year trish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    patricia ilsley

Holy database Batman - Foal Numbers

I looked at NSW & went back (maybe too long ago) from 1984/5 to 2014/5.

In 1984/5 we had 414 sires standing in NSW.........woweeeeee....... Now ?????

In 1984/5 we had 6359 mares served , in 2014/5 we had 1614 (including imp. semen).
    In 1984/5 we had 2577 drivers, in 2014/5 we had 867.
    In 1984/5 we had 2564 horses named, in 2014/5 896.
    In 1984/5 we had 2814 trainers, in 2014/5 we had 1040.

As at 31/8/2015

http://www.harness.org.au/hra/annual/public/stats.htm
    Last edited by trish; 09-06-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    It is very disheartening to read, and I guess it would be about the same for all the states to which I could add NZ (but not as a State ) When you look at the fields racing in Australia would be really floundering were it not for NZ breds? What went wrong?

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermione View Post
    It is very disheartening to read, and I guess it would be about the same for all the states to which I could add NZ (but not as a State ) When you look at the fields racing in Australia would be really floundering were it not for NZ breds? What went wrong?

It sure is disheartening. I only looked because of some field sizes in NSW.

I just had a look at NZ to see how they are going.
    In 2008 4269 mares were served of which 2868 were branded
    In 2015 2796 mares were served of which ???? (numbers not in yet) but year before there were 1868 foals branded.

http://www.harnessracing.co.nz/#!maresserved/cna

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    In my uneducated opinion, maybe it's due to a couple things.
    a) licensing. If you need to have a stablehand license to help out in a stable, kids are less likely to just help out. You shouldn't really need to pay money and get a medical and go to classes to help with horses so kids won't. Which means, less kids trying it out, less kids realising it's fun and a great hobby which means less young people move on to get their training or driving license which means less are in the industry so as the older demographics retire or pass away, there's few to fill the gap. I'm probably a prime example of that. Grew up with horses, we train and breed a bunch every year. I used to fastwork them with Dad as a teenager, didn't need a vest or anything and could handle them fine. Now I'm older and moved away, if I go home, I don't even think I'm allowed to jog one on a licensed track because I don't have a stablehand license. I could be wrong but it certainly makes me really wary about handling them at the trots in case we get fined - And I'm a part owner! I already got a telling off by the stewards for not having closed toe shoes on in the stable area, which I understand is a rule for safety but things certainly have changed from since when I was a kid just a few years ago.

Secondly, stallion fees. Back in the 90s, you could get a really well bred horse for $20k at the WA sales. The most we paid was $7k and I was flabbergasted that we paid that. We bought Lights Above for $3k or something in 1993 or thereabouts and she had fantastic breeding (and she was a bloody good horse too). Stallion fees were around $1500-4k so you could afford to breed your mare. Nowadays, well bred horses are going for $75-150k and stallion fees are $13-20k for a real top one. So people don't think they can compete.

Real Name
    patricia ilsley

I looked at the field sizes (only NSW) after your comment for races run from at the start of this season & they are as follows .

NSW Penrith 1st September....6 races....49 horses, (11NZ's) fields 1x10, 4x8, 1x7.
    Leeton 2nd September....7 races....55 horses, (3 NZ) fields 1x10, 4x8, 1x7, 1x6. OFF it rained.
    Menangle 3rd Sept......8 races.....69 horses (41 NZ) YEP 41 NZ's (so 100% correct on your " Aust would be floundering were it not for NZ breds") fields 1x11,1x10, 2x9, 2x8, 2x7.
    Newcastle 3rd Sept.....8 races......90 horses (9 NZ) 5x12, 1x11, 1x10, 1x9 so REALLY STRONG Meeting.
    Dubbo....4th Sept......7 races......58 horses (3 NZ) 1x10, 2x9, 3x8, 1x6.
    Bankstown...5th Sept.... races.....41 horses (7 NZ) 5x7 and 1x6. NO third div on any race.
    Menangle....6th Sept.....8 races....74 horses (28 NZ) 1x12, 1x11, 1x10, 2x9, 2x8, 1x7.
    Bathurst......7th Sept....7 races.....73 horses (12 NZ) 2x12, 1x11, 2x10, 2x9.

I will keep it updated as the weeks, months roll on...

Senior Member Colt Hermione will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Jan Reynolds
    Occupation
    Education
    Horses
    Chardanae Mullinalaghta Lad
    Go West young man. Go West! Western Oz would seem to struggle the most without the nz input?

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    Go West young man. Go West! Western Oz would seem to struggle the most without the nz input?

Just had a quick look & yes you are correct again.........Sept 2nd.....94 horses raced & 56 were NZ. (didn't count the last Westbred).

How on earth can anyone breeding horses in Australia be happy!! Surely the NZ horses are no better than ours, so why are so many trainers buying them.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I won't debate whether they are better or not Trish but I do think that NZ's owner/breeders have a lot more going horses 'on the market'. Remember that NZ does not have many more trot meetings than Tasmania! It seems to me that Breeding to sell (as a percentage of horse population) is a much bigger industry over there.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    patricia ilsley
    I agree with you, but I also think that the Australian trainers & owners want an instant return & maybe don't have the time & money to invest in a yearling here that may not be any good. I guess the NZ's are up & racing, buy today race next week. Whatever the reason its having a negative effect on our yearling sales.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by trish View Post
    I agree with you, but I also think that the Australian trainers & owners want an instant return & maybe don't have the time & money to invest in a yearling here that may not be any good. I guess the NZ's are up & racing, buy today race next week. Whatever the reason its having a negative effect on our yearling sales.
    That seems to be the crux of it. It became very popular in the 80's (I plead guilty to participating back then) and because of the high rate of success it has just kept increasing every year
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread