Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kilmore Cup 2019 (and Stable numbers debate)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Kilmore Cup 2019 (and Stable numbers debate)

It is on this Thursday night (pre AFL Grand Final Holiday in Vic)
    Emma Stewart has 7 of the 12 horse field

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...19#KIC26091901

Personally, I cannot see how this is good for the sport
    Maybe we need an Olympics Athletics type rule (a limit of 3 athletes that one country can have in an event so that we do not have All American, All Kenyan, All .... finals)

Some will say that having so many runners make the field is an achievement that should be lauded
    I cannot help but think that it can actually devalue the trainers achievement

I know Bart used to have multiple runners in the Melbourne Cup but would his record be so revered if he had half the field each time?

I know one can take the view that it is all about the horses but I see the way that our races are run (in an ordered fashion compared to the gallops) that stable tactics are a far more significant factor.

I am not comfortable with a stable of 7 runners v five stables with only 1 runner in one of our major races
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Blake Redden however thinks that Kima Frenning will go back to back as a driver, this time with Buster Brady whom she also trains

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...ck-at-weekend/
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I agree with you Kevin on 3 per trainer in any race but at the moment we are struggling to make full fields so I would let them have more runners only if there were insufficient noms to make a full field.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Superb first up effort by San Carlo, strange run by Buster Brady, the first FIVE all started off the 2nd line

The pools showing on the TAB ($8k? in Win pool) make you wonder where the $80k prizemoney comes from
    More in the Win Pool for the $10k R1 with a $1.30 favourite

https://www.tab.com.au/racing/2019-0...ILMORE/KIL/H/7
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The gallops aren't much better as the Vic TAB's Win Pool for the $1m Moir Stakes at MV tonight was only $164k so the big races are subsidized by smaller races throughout the season
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    7 runners for Tonkin/Stewart in the Kilmore Cup obviously drove punters away. If they want to maximize turnover they need to look at this problem.
    Don't die wondering !

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    7 runners for Tonkin/Stewart in the Kilmore Cup obviously drove punters away. If they want to maximize turnover they need to look at this problem.
    Thursday night, the best two horses in the race being 1st up, and most of the horses meeting their toughest FFA field they have ever faced big contributors. Saturday arvo pools seem to be fine in Sydney with Waller having 3quarters of the field. I'm not sure why each runner just can't be assessed on its merits just because it shares a trainer. One way for Stewart to train less horses is to get an owner offside because they've run the horse dead...

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I wouldn't know the make up of Sydney gallops fields (I think you might be exaggerating a little Brendan although I do note with the small fields today he has half the field in a couple of races) but IMO the big issue with harness racing is the ability of multiple runners from the same stable to 'control' the race
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I wouldn't know the make up of Sydney gallops fields (I think you might be exaggerating a little Brendan although I do note with the small fields today he has half the field in a couple of races) but IMO the big issue with harness racing is the ability of multiple runners from the same stable to 'control' the race
    Rebecca Bartley controlled the race!

Phoenix Prince and Rocknroll Icon cost Born to Rocknroll the race in the first 200m.

Let's concentrate on what is actually happening when Stewart's have multiple runners in a race rather than what could possibly happen in people's imaginations. Remember they would need 7 drivers who don't necessarily like each other and are actually competing with each other for better drives on the same page. More chances of drivers who are mates driving for separate stables doing a fix or setting up a race. Do we put a restriction on drivers being mates or boyfriend and girlfriend?

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Sure it is a bit 'conspiracy theory' stuff but forget all your above scenarios - all they need is drivers who do what the trainer tells them to (I cannot see how those who don't would have long futures with the stable)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread