Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NSW Race Field Selection

aussiebreno

NSW Race Field Selection

This is an ongoing problem that needs addressing urgently.

It is ridiculous it hasn't been addressed already, but we need to change to the Victorian system where fields are decided on points.

Of course the points system has its flaws but at least it is transperant and fair.
    At the moment we have HRNSW making decisions on field selection and they cannot get it correct.

The C2/C3 heats at Wagga about 4-6 weeks ago where heats were won by Total Control and Reneging were an absolute shambles. Those two were deserving winners of course, but there was a horse missing from the race who had won about 10/20 and probably the most prize-money as well that missed out - even though on points he should have got a run. Not just this horse in particular but a bucketload missed out on points while some horses got put ahead of them yet had no chance at winning.

The next week the horse I am talking about met about 3-4 also rans from the heats (some who had less points than him and got runs at Wagga), drew bad, started favourite and won.

This week at Leeton there is a colt with one start who nominated for the same race as another gelding who also has just the one start. This colt and gelding met last week and the colt beat the gelding home. The gelding gets a run while the colt did not.

In both circumstances there was no other conditions ruling horses ineligible, it was purely a HRNSW decision. I have more stories but this will suffice for now.

Have others on here experienced weird and wonderful decisions in regards to race field selection? Is this a case of sour grapes* on my behalf or does it need changing? Share your thoughts.

*My criticism of the Miracle Mile selection process (a few of the Newcastle Mile winners in particular) tells me I'm not just experiencing sour grape syndrome.

**If you want particulars eg which horses I am talking about feel free to PM.

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    When you ask they claim the points system is not better than the system they use. The biggest problem with the HRNSW system is that they can justify the field using any one of the many criteria they choose to select that race, one of those being the point system when it suits them.

Member Filly remington will become famous soon enough remington's Avatar
    Real Name
    joshua tinning
    Horses
    il tesoro, total control
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    This is an ongoing problem that needs addressing urgently.

It is ridiculous it hasn't been addressed already, but we need to change to the Victorian system where fields are decided on points.

Of course the points system has its flaws but at least it is transperant and fair.
    At the moment we have HRNSW making decisions on field selection and they cannot get it correct.

The C2/C3 heats at Wagga about 4-6 weeks ago where heats were won by Total Control and Reneging were an absolute shambles. Those two were deserving winners of course, but there was a horse missing from the race who had won about 10/20 and probably the most prize-money as well that missed out - even though on points he should have got a run. Not just this horse in particular but a bucketload missed out on points while some horses got put ahead of them yet had no chance at winning.

The next week the horse I am talking about met about 3-4 also rans from the heats (some who had less points than him and got runs at Wagga), drew bad, started favourite and won.

This week at Leeton there is a colt with one start who nominated for the same race as another gelding who also has just the one start. This colt and gelding met last week and the colt beat the gelding home. The gelding gets a run while the colt did not.

In both circumstances there was no other conditions ruling horses ineligible, it was purely a HRNSW decision. I have more stories but this will suffice for now.

Have others on here experienced weird and wonderful decisions in regards to race field selection? Is this a case of sour grapes* on my behalf or does it need changing? Share your thoughts.

*My criticism of the Miracle Mile selection process (a few of the Newcastle Mile winners in particular) tells me I'm not just experiencing sour grape syndrome.

**If you want particulars eg which horses I am talking about feel free to PM.
    First thanks for saying it was a deserved win the other week.. But the NSW field selection is a joke, n there is no point fighting it. The only thing that i can think of in regards to the leeton races is the fact that they are restricted class so "better" horses seem to get over looked, that being said you still see frith gets a run after a very nice race at young so that theory is nearly out the window.
    I think the computer programme they use for points aswell as barrier draws is worse. (quick personal gripe) one of my horses seems to always in pbd draw either 2nd from the outside or outside for his class or outside back line even when there is still another 6 of the same class. only good draw he got was 1 and he was the only one of his class. I know a few trainers who are consistently getting poor draws or have horses 'balloted' from races, worst thing is these are the trainers that provide a large % of runners and are usually contacted to nominate horses to help races stand up.

***side note, i notice if you have multiple runners or similar initials to another trainer u usually draw along side eachother or opposites eg outside front and outside 2nd row or barrier 1 and behind the leader...

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy View Post
    When you ask they claim the points system is not better than the system they use. The biggest problem with the HRNSW system is that they can justify the field using any one of the many criteria they choose to select that race, one of those being the point system when it suits them.
    Yep, changing the goals posts. They are only human so I don't blame them for that, it is to be expected that shonky decisions comes up because if someone was so good at determining which horse is better than they wouldnt be at HRNSW they would be living off the punt. The shonky decision is relying on opinion rather than creating a transparent and just system.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by remington View Post
    First thanks for saying it was a deserved win the other week.. But the NSW field selection is a joke, n there is no point fighting it. The only thing that i can think of in regards to the leeton races is the fact that they are restricted class so "better" horses seem to get over looked, that being said you still see frith gets a run after a very nice race at young so that theory is nearly out the window.
    I think the computer programme they use for points aswell as barrier draws is worse. (quick personal gripe) one of my horses seems to always in pbd draw either 2nd from the outside or outside for his class or outside back line even when there is still another 6 of the same class. only good draw he got was 1 and he was the only one of his class. I know a few trainers who are consistently getting poor draws or have horses 'balloted' from races, worst thing is these are the trainers that provide a large % of runners and are usually contacted to nominate horses to help races stand up.

***side note, i notice if you have multiple runners or similar initials to another trainer u usually draw along side eachother or opposites eg outside front and outside 2nd row or barrier 1 and behind the leader...
    Yeah a few 2yo winners in the race including Frith.
    I'm yet to meet a trainer/owner who is happy with their draws lol! Keep at it, better price when they get a draw hopefully!

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    The race field selection policy can be found on HRNSW site under RACING/POLICIES 605.3

aussiebreno
    Awesome find clumsy,

Section 3 which is the appropriate section here.

The horse I am talking about here is Normsgottamajor (a filly, I didn't really want to mention nams) and the one that got a run is Mister Pinjarra (this isn't begdrudging Mr Pinjarra this is begrudging the system)

Copy and past job:

3.1 First preference will be afforded to the best credentialed horses. STOP READING RIGHT HERE - First preference to the best credentialed horse. If somebody can convince me that Normsgottamajor finishing 4th has less credentials than Pinjarra finishing 9th please come at me. 4th >>>> 9th. Someones opinion in the HRNSW office doesn't make Mr Pinjarra better credentialed. The 4 next to Normsgottamajors name makes her better credentialed. The next points are irrelevant because it says First preference so it should already have been done and dusted Normsgottamajor is in the field.
    3.2 The HRNSW Handicapping Panel will refer to the following information when making
    their selections:
    1) Class of race contested contested same race
    2) Class of opposition in races contested contested same race
    3) Current figure form Normsgottamajor wins
    Discretionary adjustments may be made in accordance with:
    a) Margins beaten Normsgottamajor finished closer
    b) Mile rate (relative to the track) contested same race
    c) Interference received Yes Mr Pinjarra copped interference but if HRNSW want to bring in opinion to things, have a look at the ground Normsgottamajor lost when she copped interference at the 250m. Wins otherwise (not to say she was the best horse in the race as the winner went really good)
    d) Ballots received – if and where possible There was a 2yo race that didn't hold up at Wagga so possibly Pinjarra was entered in this (seperate point, apparently running 7 races is better than running 8 and giving 6 or 7 2yos an extra race)
    3.3 If possible, preference may be given to horses that:
    a) are having their first start not applicable
    b) are having their first start for a new trainer not applicable
    c) are having their first start for a new owner not applicable
    3.4 Trainers must inform the HRNSW Racing Office on 1300 712 612 when nominating a
    new addition to their stable for the first time.
    3.5 Should the Handicapping Panel deem that multiple nominees from the same stable are
    the best credentialed horses, they will be drawn as starters.
    3.6 Should trainers not want multiple stable runners they must contact the HRNSW Racing
    Office on 1300 712 612 prior to acceptance time with their preference(s).

3.7 Horses with an unfulfilled engagement will be the first horses balloted.
    And 3.4-3.7 not applicable.

So, what is best credentialed? The opinion of somebody. Just like the opinion of punters is so often wrong the opinion of anybody can be wrong. That is why it is important it isn't down to opinion but cold hard fact.

aussiebreno
    P.S this whinge is from me not the trainer/stable/owners.

P.P.S Section 10 from what clumsy posted http://www.hrnsw.com.au/assets/files...n%20Policy.pdf says 'all care no responsibility'. Says it all really.

aussiebreno
    http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=17668

Ad posted early Feb...this thread posted early March. I apologise to the handicapper learning their trade - must have been their first week on the job!!

+ Reply to Thread