Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: IDEAS on how we can improve Harness Racing

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think it is a poor adaption of the figure 8 track idea a poster suggested to me quite some time back - the figure 8 idea being better because you do not have the cross over (but do require a special figure 8 track)
    The cross overs in your idea Janelle would make the Steve Bradbury race look like a picnic, the crossovers could/would result in horse and driver carnage - the give way idea would never work as horses are not push button machines

Thinking further on how your idea could work would involve the outside horses having to be a fair distance behind the inside horses coming to the crossover but it only takes a straggler in the inside group to cause carnage
    Last edited by Messenger; 04-23-2021 at 10:06 PM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling JanellePeter will become famous soon enough JanellePeter's Avatar
    Real Name
    J & P Haywood
    Occupation
    Sectional Data to HRA
    Perhaps I should have provided the maths. Typical track with 100m radius and track width available of 16m, therefore outer markers at 108m radius.
    Ignoring straights,
    1 Lap of a circle with 100m radius = 628m
    1 Lap of circle with 108m radius = 678m. That's 50m extra the outer horses run in one lap. I can't see too many conflicts at crossover with that advantage.
    Home of PJ Harness Analyser - http://pjdata.com.au/

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Fairly true but it would mean stragglers - horse that made a break would have to drop out. 50m off the back of the field and still figure in a finish has happened but for your Steve Bradbury racing (Steve himself - way off the back of the field) the Steves are going to have to be disqualified so that it is clear to punters eg like gallopers in French trotting races. We simply cannot have the potential for carnage
    It will be a bit like straight six furlong racing at Flemington where the field splits to either fence - I am not sure how enamored the public are about not knowing who is leading until the very end - I know Race-callers aren't actually fans
    I would love to see a figure 8 race but alas a track
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I appreciate the excitement you are trying to create Janelle, it would be similar to when we had Stand Start handicaps and champions used to give weaker horses huge starts and have to come from behind. The public loved it
    Maybe we were a bit hasty in getting rid of Stand Starts
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling JanellePeter will become famous soon enough JanellePeter's Avatar
    Real Name
    J & P Haywood
    Occupation
    Sectional Data to HRA
    I don't understand why a horse that breaks would have to drop out? It is the same as current racing but they just have to follow the inner outer course.
    All horses can still start together with a mobile start - If one breaks there is nothing different. If it breaks anywhere on the course it's still no different.
    I think this racing has the ability to reduce carnage because you are putting smaller groups of horses together. At the moment one horse breaks and it can take half of a field out of play.
    Figure 8 won't happen because you need to build a track as you said. You wouldn't need to do much at all to implement this idea.
    It is something different and the sport needs something different because the same old seems to be leading to a slow death.
    Home of PJ Harness Analyser - http://pjdata.com.au/

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It has to drop out for with your model we cannot afford to have an inside horse anywhere near level with an outside horse at the crossover point - I thought that was obvious
    This racing model cannot reduce carnage as we don't have carnage nowadays - I'm afraid that without the disqualification and pulling up of horses that make a break, we have a recipe for carnage
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    While yes ordinarily the inside pack would be well ahead of the putside pack the potential for carnage exists and would bee too high.

While sure we give drivers cheers and sprays by and large we watch racing for the horses. I think tactics and timing your horse would have far too great an impact on the result. Then trying to read form when its been such a tactical event - leave me out of that.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We definitely need better promotion. Right now at the bottom of HRV's homepage

https://www.thetrots.com.au/

We have 3 pics promoting events that are 5+ months away. We cannot waste any space promoting events that are more than a month away
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    DON'T follow American racing and have nothing but mile racing on big tracks.
    I have been watching a bit of YouTube to form an opinion of some of the new sires and I feel like I am watching the same race over and over again
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Many trainers just have a facebook page as simpler alternative to a webpage.
    Looking at one Leading stable's fb page today that had not had an update for 9 months
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread