Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Harness Racing Research Project

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    Wayne, I prefer not to have to go and get a pass from the secretaries office every time I go to watch my horse, and when my horse isn't racing I still visit trainers in the stable area. And do they allow your friends to go with you ? It's frustrating when you do the right thing and follow the rules but the rules aren't being policed very often.
    I believe the signs say " Licenced (or authorized) persons only past this point" , or something similar to that. I'm sure owners cannot enter without a pass or stablehands licence.
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    I realise where you're coming from Rick and agree it's particularly frustrating for the owner/s who is part of the team. Is there a better way to work around the OH&S necessity?
    I think the gallops are more stringent and I believe once the greyhounds are kennelled only the handlers can go near them and only at race time.
    My post was more due to the people who look into the forum who might be on the fringe of ownership that may believe they had to pay $99 just to pat their horse after it wins.

About the policing, not all tracks having gate attendants all the time. All I can say is, having seen first hand some of the abuse voluntary club members have received when doing their job, it may well be a case of no-one wants to do it. I'd rather scoop the poop of the track.

As for the signs Kev, I was at Shepparton last night but hadn't read your post before I left so I'll go with Rick. Irrespective of whether the signs display "owners", I'd think all trainers would let their owners know they can see their horse in the appropriate manner.

But on a happier note here's a link to Lenny's trial last night, trial no.2 http://www.sheppartonhrc.com.au/news.php?id=1012

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I really don't believe there is a OH&S ( or WH&S as it's now called) issue . The only case I have ever heard of anyone being injured in the stable area was caused by fireworks spooking a horse. If they can't go back to the old system all tracks need pathways up each row like Melton so the public can get closer to the horses.
    I'm sure people will bring up other injuries in stable areas now but they were extremely rare under the old system .
    Don't die wondering !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I really don't believe there is a OH&S ( or WH&S as it's now called) issue . The only case I have ever heard of anyone being injured in the stable area was caused by fireworks spooking a horse. If they can't go back to the old system all tracks need pathways up each row like Melton so the public can get closer to the horses.
    I'm sure people will bring up other injuries in stable areas now but they were extremely rare under the old system .
    Equally public liability as WHS, risk assessments would prevent going back? These days, would you get an insurer to cover if we could go back, let alone what it would cost? Does anyone cover gross negligence?

Would be nice if the 3 mill for integrity could have gone towards stabling changes, the pathways, and speaking of the Racing Minister, I think he'd close harness racing down if we went back to open access.

Have seen one potential for serious, multiple injuries, under the new system. Thankfully no-one was injured but the liability was greatly reduced by having less people in the horse movement/stabling area.

+ Reply to Thread