Roll With Joe
Closed Thread
Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Stewards News

Member Yearling Diablo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Miller
    Could someone with a bit more knowledge than me, explain how Stewards swallowed a BS explanation from Grant Dixon in relation to his driving tactics on Majestic Mach in race 3 on 9/9/17 especially after the stablemate, Max Richter, was backed from $6 into $2.50? Surely, a Trainer/Driver that has been around as long as him would have felt in the prelim that his horse may have been a bit off. After hearing about many of the rorts and collusions that have been reported and currently under investigation it is little wonder that Qld Harness Industry has little appeal to most around the country that enjoy the sport. For me, if they shut the sport down in Qld it will be a Godsend. There seem to be a few issues in most States but Qld is the worst.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Greg, I agree that it looked bad for a 2nd favourite (and stablemate of the heavily supported favourite) to drop in like that.

Multi runners from the same stable is always a worry for our code as positioning is so regimented compared to the gallops (where IMO there is less opportunity for team riding).

In this case if they preferred their other runner to win, then his stablemate was never going to beat him. If MM stays in the death but hangs back like he was, he was 99% certain to get the 1x1 from the horse that made a move shortly after but then if you didn't want to win you wait to be pocketed by the 3w train.

Dropping to the fence looks really suspect - some might think it makes a certainty that you will not win. If the stewards put themselves in the shoes of a punter, are they going to be happy seeing that move if they had their money on MM . I believe the onus is on the stewards to expect every driver to give their horse the best possible chance and I am surprised that they accepted GD's explanation so readily - did they consider it improved MM's chance of winning? I wonder whether they even asked GD if that was his intention - improve the horse's chance of winning.

The fact that he was stood down for 7 days after his previous race lends some weight to the driver's explanation - was there any notification that MM would be driven conservatively (not sure there is such a thing, now I think it is either further forward or further back)

Perception is everything and that move did not look good - thus the QDT and yet it meant nothing for the driver did little more than disagree with them. Try that next time the police pull you over

Here is a link to the race folks

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...17#APC09091710
    Last edited by Messenger; 09-19-2017 at 03:05 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    This could have gone in Substances but Stewards Reports will do

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=34569

So Nathan Turnbull has pleaded guilty to presenting a horse with Cocaine in its system - benzoylecgonine (BE) and ecgonine methyl ester (EME) are the 2 major urinary metabolites of Cocaine

and yet 3 weeks later there is still no decision on penalty?!
    30 months

https://www.harness.org.au/media-roo...?news_id=34867
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Part of Barton Cockburn's lawyer's plea for clemency was based around:

He said a lifetime of long-term ban from the sport was very likely for his client, who was remorseful and did not deserve jail.

http://www.harnesslink.com/Australia...f-match-fixing

His lawyer managed to get him a mere $5k fine with no conviction using this defence

It is now up to the Stewards to make the lifetime ban a reality
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO Fan of Jate will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Pat O'Boyle
    We await the penalty with much interest. I am tipping 10yrs but my tipping is shite. Remind me to use that lawyer if I ever commit a crime.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=34956

2 months for Rodney Petroff for risking the welfare of his horse to play bully boy with Christopher Shinn, whom he was not happy with

If you let the video run after the finish line you will see the start of this incident

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...17#MXM15091706
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=34956

2 months for Rodney Petroff for risking the welfare of his horse to play bully boy with Christopher Shinn, whom he was not happy with

If you let the video run after the finish line you will see the start of this incident

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...17#MXM15091706
    Little wonder why Petroff was annoyed Kev, Shinn took his legs 3 or 4 times and I hazard to guess unwittingly in the last 600 metres, Shinn's horse was all over the place. How much for Shinn in risking the welfare of Petroffs horse? Two weeks? for taking his legs multiple times in the last 600?? I reckon the penalties are around the wrong way.
    Last edited by Danno; 10-05-2017 at 12:59 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I understood his annoyance Dan but he just can't go doing that with his horse - maybe they both should have got 2 months
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    I understood his annoyance Dan but he just can't go doing that with his horse - maybe they both should have got 2 months

Penalties did not fit the crimes Kev, not even close, nobody gets it right 100% of the time but that was a glaring example of why many have lost faith in the ability of the stewards to get it right.......please don't get me wrong, I understand their role is very difficult, but FFS it appears they tried hard to get that one wrong...blind Freddy stuff mate.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I can be blind Dan and unlike your good self have zero experience but I do not think he gave them many outs by deliberately driving his horse into another - maybe half the penalty suspended? But a second offence would be much greater I think
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Closed Thread