Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua

Lift your game: Melton

On March 9.2012 our horse Millionaire won at Alexandra Park NZ. We were there on the night, it was a normal race for non winners with a total stake of $NZ10,000. After the photo's we were taken to the Owners Room for drinks and to view the replay of the race. As we left the room, we were presented with a complimentary DVD and a presentation box of 2 glasses and a bottle of wine with the winning photo of Millionaire and the win details on the label. I'm told that this happens for every metro race at Alex. Park. They certainly know how to make the owners feel special!
    On March 23 2012 our horse Musical Delight won the Youthful Stakes ( $20,000 ) for 2 year old fillies at Tabcorp Park Melton. It is a recognised fillies race and the Honour Roll is printed in the race book. It was the last race of the night. After the race we were herded onto the track for a photo with the sponsor ( not introduced ) the rug was thrown on the filly, and I was handed a box containing the trophy by a race official. As we left the track I thanked the sponsor who was standing to one side. Do you think that this person will sponsor a race at Melton again ? Would you ?
    As for the owners , we couldn't celebrate with our 2 free drink tickets as the owners room was closed and we were directed to the Sports Bar. I don't drink at the Sports Bar at Melton and certainly not late at night. I collected my free DVD from the Pro Video van and went home.
    Harness Racing Victoria need to have a really hard look at themselves. Their attitude towards owners is pathetic and without the benefit of increased prizemoney owners have very little to look forward too.
    I am passionate about the sport and have invested heavily ; service fees alone this year are $117,000.
    Sometimes I wonder Why ???

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Anne, your story is, unfortunately too true,too often.
    I know some others on this forum will roll their eyes as I bang on once again about the plight of owners in this game.
    The owners of the horses pay to present the racing product! And they pay and pay and pay! they are often the unsung heroes..accolades being distributed to drivers,trainers and breeders in around about that order.
    The sports administators have, rightly or wrongly had a tighter focuss on punters whims than that of owners since I can remember!

I hope someone who cares to make a difference, reads your thread Anne, the game has been neglecting it's most important patrons for too long.

Cheers,
    Dan

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    G'day Anne,

I'm sorry to hear that, I really am. That's simply not good enough.
    Owners & Breeders do tend to get the scraps from the table by way of recognition and the really unfortunate thing for you is that you fall into both categories...as for that matter it should be noted do the vast majority of Owners in Australia (see the HRA Breeders Panel survey...I think it was up over 3/4's thereof).
    In terms of those I know about, Bathurst do the feature race winning owner thing really well and especially so during the Gold Crown/Tiara carnival.
    Haven't had the pleasure of landing one home at Menangle yet but when they were at HP the NSWHRC used to do it well also. We landed a 2yo filly home there one night and had a very nice time afterwards.
    Btw, great to see Top Tempo off to such a good start as a Broodmare. You'd have to be pleased with that result. She was such a terrific racemare & so was her dam. Congrats.

Senior Member 4YO Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Leigh Stollery
    Anne, perhaps you should have sent an email to HRV instead of starting a thread. Most owners don't even get the chance to race at headquarters, let alone win a $20,000 feature.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year The Form Student will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Steve Carter
    Occupation
    Astral Projectionist
    Horses
    Rocket Glenfern, Tudor Royal, Manaroa,
    At Bankstown, every winning owner will now get an autographed and framed photo of the WIZ!

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Camilla"s Lovechild View Post
    Anne, perhaps you should have sent an email to HRV instead of starting a thread. Most owners don't even get the chance to race at headquarters, let alone win a $20,000 feature.
    I agree Leigh. HRV are well aware of the issues at Melton, however continue to stick their head in the sand and pretend every things okay. It is not too much to expect after a lifetime involvement to savour and celebrate every win, especially as it balances out the disappointments that all owners and breeders have. As for racing at "headquarters " you can race there for $1500 now; believe me it ain't special. Give me Ballarat any day!

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons
    Melton is turning into the laughing stock of the state to be honest. I will not go there. Even if I had a horse race there I don't think I would go, treat owners like crap.

I am sorry if I sound harsh but Melton is just another country meeting in my opinion.

I used to love going to the valley and then going out in the city afterwards but you just can't do that from Melton. Way too far out of town to go for general public. Ok for people in Melton but this is why it is getting the reputation that it is!!!!

Member Gelding Itisi will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Mick Tobias
    It all falls on deaf ears at HRV, as long as they get their guts full of free grog and food at Melton their happy, be good one week to see how they get on with two drink vouchers and a cold pie at the fight bar

Banned Filly little fish will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Username deleted
    I think the owners room is too far away from the winning post at Melton. And it doesn't have a special feeling to it whatsoever. Just feels like a spare room they decided to chuck a fridge and a couple of tv screens into. I haven't had a winner at Melton in a while but whenever I've had a runner I've rarely used it - or used it only as an afterthought.

I also think they could've put the parade ring in a better spot.

Having said that I still think overall it's a pretty reasonable at Melton. The proximity of the stalls to the main eating/drinking areas is really good in my opinion. Also I like the landscape gardening they have done, simple and sustainable but also quite neat.

As for location Geoff what else could they have done? I'd prefer they built it where the fruit markets are/were near docklands......but what price for that land! And in peak hour that would've been a nightmare for trucks and floats.

Pretty hard to get the perfect setup on a limited budget.
    Last edited by little fish; 03-28-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Member Yearling geoffkel will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Geoff Parsons
    Yeah I understand that and it does not worry me so much as we have to travel anyway but the place has no feel to it at all, no atmosphere. Nothing like the atmosphere of the Valley on a big night, was sensational but that is in the past.
    I don't know what they can do but they have to do something. If I wantd to watch Friday night fights I would stay home and watch it on Foxtel!!!

+ Reply to Thread