Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: form guide should include 'must have front or death under any circumstances'

Junior Member Foal markjohnconley will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark conley

form guide should include 'must have front or death under any circumstances'

I did the form and wagered on a particular horse at Wagga race 5 on 7th April, 2017, today.
    If I had known the driver would insist on sitting in the 'death seat' and not take the 'one-one' then I probably would not have wagered on the horse.
    Can't this information be included in harness form guides in future, thanks, mark

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I skimmed through his recent runs Mark and it seemed to me that he is not always driven that aggressively but the stewards did not query the drive. It was Harpley's first drive on him. He was short enough for a horse who had not won for a year. I know who we need to fill us in - come in Breno

http://www.harness.org.au/meeting-re...SW#WWC07041704
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Molly Turton usual driver just learning the craft and unagressive.
    Not many horses have worked out of the gate, ended up in the 1-1 at Wagga over a mile and won. No problem with staying in the death. Bruce Harpley did not enforce the pace in the 2nd quarter and thats what was his undoing. You can usually bank in that grade for a 32 qtr not 29.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It was a fair run by the horse he was stitching up who then raced wide the whole way and should have finished long last instead of in front of him
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    I don't think Bruce stitched Allebasi up. If the $2.30 favourite gets trapped in a box seat around the tight Wagga circuit we'd be into him for that.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That is the definition of 'stitched up' - refused to let him in.
    Brendan, there are times when your efforts to diagree with me, make me wonder
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Sorry Kev - stitch up to me just comes with implications of something untoward - looking back that is not what you meant.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by markjohnconley View Post
    I did the form and wagered on a particular horse at Wagga race 5 on 7th April, 2017, today.
    If I had known the driver would insist on sitting in the 'death seat' and not take the 'one-one' then I probably would not have wagered on the horse.
    Can't this information be included in harness form guides in future, thanks, mark

Did the change of driver influence your wager Mark?

Junior Member Foal markjohnconley will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mark conley
    Not sure what happened to my first attempt at reply.
    Arlington, yes, a leading district driver takes over. I'm unfamiliar with the usual driving tactics used on the 3-wide (Allebasi?) horse but wouldn't the driver on the fav. been better off to allow the 3-wider to take the death seat and then if another 3-wider came later to pull out?
    I have just got back into wagering on the standardbreds after a 35 year'ish abstinence (have kept to the thoroughbreds and rugby only) after having been disillusioned with the bad-old-days. I maintain that the harness races are by far the best spectacle and remember 40 years ago at Harold Park on a Friday night (with all the smells) fondly.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by markjohnconley View Post
    Not sure what happened to my first attempt at reply.
    Arlington, yes, a leading district driver takes over. I'm unfamiliar with the usual driving tactics used on the 3-wide (Allebasi?) horse but wouldn't the driver on the fav. been better off to allow the 3-wider to take the death seat and then if another 3-wider came later to pull out?
    I have just got back into wagering on the standardbreds after a 35 year'ish abstinence (have kept to the thoroughbreds and rugby only) after having been disillusioned with the bad-old-days. I maintain that the harness races are by far the best spectacle and remember 40 years ago at Harold Park on a Friday night (with all the smells) fondly.
    They usually come 3wide at the 800m. No point losing a length and then have to go 3 wide for the sake of being in the 1-1 for 300m.

+ Reply to Thread