Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by mightymo View Post
    As someone who had a horse in the race, Im interested to know what you would have liked to happen? Did you want Franco Jamar to hold the lead and then be battered into submission by Excel Stride and Washakie? Did you want to Sixpence to hold the breeze and suffer the same fate?

I think most people expected the race to unfold exactly the way it did, and i cant see what was wrong with it...
    Harvey my comment was it LOOKED ordinary, and how often do McCarthy horses hand up the lead or the death? Answer not often and this race LOOKED ordinary because that happened twice, and the handing up was to stablemates, thats why I commented it LOOKED ordinary.

BTW I don't suppose you'd like to comment on the rest of that post? I'm a little curious thats all.

Cheers,

Dan
    Last edited by Danno; 01-13-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: spelling

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    How often does a trainer have FOUR horses in a field and 2 of them are grand circuit horses??

As to the other question, I have absolutely no issue with Belinda being the official trainer. The reality is that any trainer has a team of people working the horses, planning their preps etc. Its not one person who does everything.

No different to many other training regimes - eg. Maree/John Caldow, Greg/Skye Bond, Emma Stewart/Tonkin

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    I will be interested in what the stewards thought of Franco Jamar in the run to the line.

Danno the usual harness racing suggestions have been put forward but might I suggest that the ATO income tax thresholds may have played a role. Before anyone jumps on me I don't know for sure and there would be nothing wrong with it if it was.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzy View Post
    I will be interested in what the stewards thought of Franco Jamar in the run to the line.

Danno the usual harness racing suggestions have been put forward but might I suggest that the ATO income tax thresholds may have played a role. Before anyone jumps on me I don't know for sure and there would be nothing wrong with it if it was.
    Not jumping on you Dot, but whats your point there?

Banned Gelding mary will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    mary hughes
    As someone who had a horse in the race, Im interested to know what you would have liked to happen? Did you want Franco Jamar to hold the lead and then be battered into submission by Excel Stride and Washakie? Did you want to Sixpence to hold the breeze and suffer the same fate?

I think most people expected the race to unfold exactly the way it did, and i cant see what was wrong with it...

When Franco Jamar won 7 of his 8 races some time back he was driven to lead at all costs & kept the lead & won running 1.51 or 1.52 etc , so yes I expected him to hold the lead, because he obviously went well when he did, didn't he?
    He galloped out in the MM. (against group 1 horses).

Senior Member 4YO dizzy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dot schmidt
    Brad I'm no accountant but there are at least two who read this board and could advise accordingly. If Luke derives all the income from the training and driving fees then then they are likely to be subjected to a higher rate of tax then if the income is split with Belinda, if it goes into a business then I have no idea how it works so over to the accountants, just a thought as all my colleagues would love to be able to split their income with their non working wives, not that I'm suggesting that Belinda isn't "working"

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    if FJ held the lead, and Excel Stride held the breeze, Washakie would have poured the pressure on to force FJ to yield. Would have been good for my horse, but i dont think that would have been in the best interests of FJ.

In recent times against this class of horse, FJhas been driven with a sit, so there would also have needed to be a COT which was not given.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Brad I'm no accountant but there are at least two who read this board and could advise accordingly. If Luke derives all the income from the training and driving fees then then they are likely to be subjected to a higher rate of tax then if the income is split with Belinda, if it goes into a business then I have no idea how it works so over to the accountants, just a thought as all my colleagues would love to be able to split their income with their non working wives, not that I'm suggesting that Belinda isn't "working"
    Do'h!!! Now I see where you are heading...and like you said earlier, can't see a problem with that.

Real Name
    mary hughes

Belinda has a baby in a pram, im not sure id be training horses if i had a baby. But maybe she is & can afford a full time baby sitter. She has horses in Qld too so shes one hell of a busy lady.

Real Name
    mary hughes
    if FJ held the lead, and Excel Stride held the breeze, Washakie would have poured the pressure on to force FJ to yield. Would have been good for my horse, but i dont think that would have been in the best interests of FJ.

In recent times against this class of horse, FJhas been driven with a sit, so there would also have needed to be a COT which was not given.
    IMO it always looks bad when stablemates hand up so so easy, they were running a 58.4 half.

+ Reply to Thread