Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: De Lovely

Flashing Red
    I looked up your filly Mightymo, it was a shame she run into Millwood Meg and De Lovely in the same season. I can see why you would have wanted to have a crack for the win too - nice filly. A great money spinner and I'm sure is providing you with a lot of thrills

buster
    how slow would they have gone without arctic sitting parked? i'd say a 63 and then home in 55 flat, what hope would she have had coming from back in the field then?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year mightymo will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Harvey Kaplan
    Horses
    Bling It On, Nike Franco, Cruz Bromac
    De lovely is a freak. On the other hand, If you swap the barrier draws in the WA Oaks, i reckon we beat Meg. We'll never know, but thats my opinion!

Im looking forward to getting her back at the races, as she got very sick after the breeders crown. All things going to plan, she should be racing in about 6 weeks time

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashing Red View Post
    Very true, here here

In saying that, (and this is not in regards to any race in particular, especially your filly -which without looking up I do not know who it is by the way) if you know you can't beat a horse, you know it is far superior to yours, what do you do? If driving for second is the best possible position one's horse could finish due to a freak being in the field (lets just say Somebeachsomewhere for argument's sake), do you drive it for second? The rules stipulate:

Rule 149(1) "A driver shall take all reasonable and permissible measures during the course of a race to ensure that the horse driven is given full opportunity to win or obtain the best possible placing in the field".

If the best possible finish, barring accident, is one's horse finishing second, do you go out hard to win and give up most likely a better cheque/finishing position? Food for thought. I remember the last Cox Plate, Gai's horse More Joyous tried to make So You Think feel the weight he was carrying and run him off his feet. Gai was trying to win the race, but realistically she would have never beat So You Think. As an owner I would have liked her to be ridden quiet, get at least second and hope she could win, making the race a sprint home. But she faded out early, trying to win by getting the other horse beat cost her, arguably, second prizemoney.

I am a little on the fence about this, just throwing up some food for thought. I don't really think it is about "giving" another horse the first place cheque, (IMHO) but trying to make one's own the biggest possible If it's a win it's a win, if not one got the best cheque they could.

(And good luck with your filly anyway - 4th in a BC must mean she goes OK indeed )
    I think it means firstly try to win; then during the race if the horse has lost a winning chance, eg 100m down the straight you still have to try and finish 2nd or 3rd.

aussiebreno
    I dont get why people say if it wasnt for such and such this other horse would have been the standout. It happens with EVERY crop. - that isnt a go at you FR; as a lot of people say it. Just a pet peeve I guess !
    And I remember watching the WA Oaks and thinking the same thing mightymo; that the 2nd horse is better than Meg. Good luck this season!

Flashing Red
    I don't think there are standouts every season, personally. When I think standouts I think horses like Lombo Pocketwatch or Lombo La Fe Fe or Courage Under Fire - horses that really dominate for that season. Sometimes you get really even bunches of crops (and they may just be because there are a number of top horses!) where it seems like a different horse wins each feature.

buster
    like this years 3 yr old colts, who ever draws to get the front or behind leader should be winning each classic

+ Reply to Thread