Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Harness whip rules

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    I think your very right there, Rick market research amongst those who bet but not on us would be more beneficial. We don't have a perceived integrity problem, we have an integrity problem, green light scandal in NSW with a participant and steward gaoled, race fixing charges and convictions in QLD and VIC, that I don't think we at the participant level take enough ownership of. Sure there are messages from the authorities that it won't be tolerated and increases in integrity funding but where is the message from the participants to the general public and punters that cheats and cheating won't be tolerated amongst our ranks?

Regardless of if its true or not the belief amongst many trainers and drivers that "certain" participants get special treatment from authorities seems to be endemic to the culture of harness racing making that perception not an easy thing to change.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    As for showing videos of minimal and over the top whip use what would be the purpose of that, other then reinforcing a negative message. I'm not a supporter of banning the whip but I am offended more then most in the industry by excessive or over the top or inappropriate whip use.
    I am not talking about totally crazy whip use but videos with none/virtually none and videos with above average/considerable use. To see if our ideal market pick up on whips

Like I said - the video survey could aim at gleaning a lot more than just the public's opinion of whips
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think you guys are unnecessarily limiting your expectations by only wishing to convert dogs and gallops punters

I have a fair idea of why dog followers like their code but it would sure be interesting if a survey revealed that a percentage of the public liked the fact that the dogs chase/race of their own free will (with no human or whip in sight)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Dot View Post
    I think your very right there, Rick market research amongst those who bet but not on us would be more beneficial. We don't have a perceived integrity problem, we have an integrity problem, green light scandal in NSW with a participant and steward gaoled, race fixing charges and convictions in QLD and VIC, that I don't think we at the participant level take enough ownership of. Sure there are messages from the authorities that it won't be tolerated and increases in integrity funding but where is the message from the participants to the general public and punters that cheats and cheating won't be tolerated amongst our ranks?
    We welcome them back and even make them mentors for our young participants!
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I am not talking about totally crazy whip use but videos with none/virtually none and videos with above average/considerable use. To see if our ideal market pick up on whips

Like I said - the video survey could aim at gleaning a lot more than just the public's opinion of whips
    Well if the young are our ideal market some of them don't fit into that demographic and it would be considered too small a group to be statistically relevant but the video survey has been going for 20years now amongst my family for my horses and degree of whip use gets picked up every time.

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I think you guys are unnecessarily limiting your expectations by only wishing to convert dogs and gallops punters

I have a fair idea of why dog followers like their code but it would sure be interesting if a survey revealed that a percentage of the public liked the fact that the dogs chase/race of their own free will (with no human or whip in sight)
    Not limiting my expectations to converting dogs and gallops punters Kev, just saying we should start with a demographic which is willing to punt, to find out why they don't punt on our code, once we have addressed that and our product is more palatable to punters then we could invest more in attracting people through the gate.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    But don't we need to attract people through the gate because you don't become an owner if you haven't
    AND it is owners/horses that we need to put on the show

(Mind you, this might be a chicken and egg story)
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    It's a symbiotic relationship Kev, we need both. Realistically if it's the 18 to 30 demographic we are trying to attract Kev then the focus has to be on encouraging them to punt (responsibly) because few will have sufficient discretionary spending ability at that stage of their life/careers to make the significant investment required ( even with syndicates) to invest in ownership.

Which is why I have always questioned actually why we need to focus on this age demographic as many people think we do. I've always thought we should focus more on an older demographic who are more established in their careers and life path and likely to have more discretionary spending ability to punt or invest in ownership.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    HRV details Whip Rule

http://www.harness.org.au/media-room...?news_id=38006

The one part that does not add up for me is how being allowed to whip 20 times in 200m/14secs. It is surely continuous and not giving the horse time to respond. Time yourself and see

Offence clock resetting every 28 days is pretty dam generous

Let's see excessive whip use as a grounds for protest - I reckon it would stop happening in under a month

It would however require administrators and stewards to show they care
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Has anyone managed 20 whip flicks in 14secs without it being continuous?
    David?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread