Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stewards baffling inconsistencies

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach

Thumbs down Stewards baffling inconsistencies

Bathurst 25/1/12, R4, Badgers Belles' driver J Turnbull is asked why he drops down to the pegs at the 1100m mark. His explanation would have made a QC proud, and as critical as I can be, you could only accept his explanation, even though the horse could only finish fifth because of his tactics.

Two races later the respected S Turnbull on Whispering Lass out of the 2 gate and in the one wide line and seemingly about to get cover inexplicably drops onto the pegs and ends up 4 back and stays there all the way to the line. The winner comes off the outside 2nd row, goes straight to the front unchallenged as a very heavily backed favourite whilst Steves horse is a big drifter. The stewards noted Whispering lass was unable to gain a clear run over the concluding stages in their report. Great work fellas, but you would have to have been blind freddy to have missed the horse going back to the pegs earlier in the race and reticent in not asking Steve what his reasons were.

Or maybe like me they were so impressed with J T's earlier explanation of his tactics that they could not see the need to ask any questions of Steve whatsoever. I am not pointing a finger here...all I want to see is C-O-N-S-I-S-T-E-N-C-Y in rulings and inquiries. Just make it clear to us that everyone is treated the same with no exceptions. And yes I did have a small wager on Whispering Lass.
    Last edited by broncobrad; 01-28-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Readablity

aussiebreno
    After Junee on Thursday night I've decided the stewards are incompitent.

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    certainly agree that the stewards are not consistent in their rulings. Aussiebreno why do you think they are incompetent?

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by clumsy View Post
    certainly agree that the stewards are not consistent in their rulings. Aussiebreno why do you think they are incompetent?
    Would rather not elaborate on here.

Member Yearling M.John will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    Stewards are human and they are going to make mistakes like all of us .... BUT have a look at race 2 from the Gold Coast last Friday night. The 11 horse Bettor Bet Black, is behind in the score up and the driver has his hand up for a good period of time trying to signal that he has broken gear. Once the starter sees that they simply have no option but to press the RED button and declare a flase start. If the driver is using the rule as a get out for his or her horse simply just galloping or not scoring up than they get a heavy fine but the starter has to call a false start. On this occasion the starter either ignored the driver with his hand up or needs to visit OPSM. This paticular starter has made a similar mistake a few times. Incompetent would be the best word. If the sport wants new punters etc etc ... cases like this cant happen. What if some bloke walks up in a tab decides to have $10 on a trotter, puts his 10 bucks on that horse and doesnt get a fair go? Wont see his money again.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    This replay isn't too clear but the caller certainly did not miss it Michael, and the powers that be certainly need to have it highlighted to them. The posting of the stewards report on the AHR site is little slow in being issued. I totally concur about the $10 punter being put off by it. Mobile starts have certainly changed the face of the sport in relation to all runners being afforded every opportunity of a fair start and there are safeguards in place for rough starters and gear breakages. This one looks a no brainer, even to the average Joe. Qld harness racing should be looking at how this can be rectified.

I would like to qualify my comments in the absence of the stewards report being published because the starter may have a valid case to effect the start that we are not aware of.

Member Yearling M.John will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Johnson
    It's simply a case of the bloke doing the job not being good enough. In his opinion he believed the horse didn't interfere with anything so therefore press the green button. Wrong. The starter does not have a valid case, I can guarantee you. It was 20 minutes until the all clear went thru and the benefit of the doubt went with the steward but the steward in question took to Facebook to have an all mighty sook about their embarrassment. Incompetent.

Banned 2YO ringman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Hill
    Occupation
    Laying Horses
    I sent a email to Sam Nati about this pathetic Bathurst drive and his reply was he will get the stewards to review the film of the race.

Heard nothing since so i assume that was just another brush off.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by ringman View Post
    I sent a email to Sam Nati about this pathetic Bathurst drive and his reply was he will get the stewards to review the film of the race.

Heard nothing since so i assume that was just another brush off.
    If the stewards review the race, ask the questions expected of them and get a satisfactory response, that would be good enough for me. All any of us want is consistency in their rulings and transparency in their methods of arriving at them.

I sent an e-mail to Sam on an unrelated matter on the HRNSW webpage "Just ask Sam" but did not glean a response. Brenno and Greg Hando were much more informative and timely in regard to swabbing cost breakdowns - thanks fellas.

+ Reply to Thread