Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: There was money to be made at Hamilton today (but not by me)

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

There was money to be made at Hamilton today (but not by me)

and I do not mean by the attendant on the gate - I find it amusing we have to pay to get into Hamilton but not Melton LOL. Maybe the money will go toward some heating for the dining room this winter as even on a warm day like today, it is not warm trackside at Hamilton. I don't suppose the $5 is going to stretch that far after we pay my friend on the gate so maybe the club could just invest in some toilet seats. Truth be known the small fee was probably to pay the 2 piece band playing in what was the old bookies area (felt sorry for the guys - must be a downer playing to no real audience)

Race 1 was where we should have got off to a flying start. We saw Goodtime All win very nicely at Stawell last week but we are frightened off by the local Marg Lee's first starter being Odds On so we miss out on the $4.60 easy winner that could have bankrolled the day

Race 2 we don't have a bet either but between races we decide to check out what made Sergeant At Arms the winner. We view this Holmes Hanover gelding's one and only other start at Mt Gambier and the words that ring in our ears is the commentator saying 'there's your black-booker'. No wonder the connections on the hill next to me were so happy - he paid $7

Races 3&4 were bread and butter stuff for local driver Matty Craven driving the pole horse both races. An all up bet would have netted you $4.50 but we Always Wantano how the running double for 1&1 only pays $1.90. My only investment before each race is $6 on a schnitzel burger so I am down $12 (Sorry ladies, that is not true as one does not go back for seconds if they are not worth it)

Race 5 was the class race of the day (C4-6) and Our Classie Mach won at 15/1 thanks to a real classy drive by Grant Campbell but it was a real cheats lane victory so don't you watch it Steve Carter ...... it will give nightmares. After it I thought I would go classy myself and indulge in tea and scones which I had seen the ladies prepare earlier but the lovely lady behind the counter broke the news to me that they were for the ........ and here she just uses her head to point to the right. Disappointed I trudge out of the dining room door to my left/her right (past the band still playing) to see what she meant. I knew I had been up myself wanting a devonshire tea when I see the sign over the next door - Members Room. Now I really wanted to go in, not so much for the scones but to see if they have a real heater in there for membership could be worth it come July.

Race 6 As a result of scone-deprivation my form study was rushed and so seeing pole-marker Saab Magic's last win had been here in fast time I was attracted to the 20/1+ for this Rod Barker conveyance. Alas modern day Hamilton-champion Matty Craven wins again. Jimmy is driving well but Saab's aren't travelling too well nowadays

Race 7 The missus turns up (so I know I will not be able to stay for the last - I really wanted to watch the trot for Ash and then dodge kangaroos all the way back to the Gap) and Big Gorilla wins. Everybody knows this horse has ability and should never be going around at $18 in this class race, especially when his last 3 starts read 1-4-3

Alas it is time for home and my friend on the gate was right - "All the winners are in our race book"

[NB - all tongue in cheek, especially any correlation between Big Gorilla and the missus. The angel had been sorting out our internet problems in Hamilton town while I swanned around the trots dreaming of scones and making dough]
    Last edited by Messenger; 12-11-2014 at 01:04 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Excellent review Kev, 5 bucks to get in should have entitled you to a crack at the Scones
    Last edited by Richard prior; 12-11-2014 at 09:36 PM.

+ Reply to Thread