Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vics get along and hear your CEO this week

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago

Vics get along and hear your CEO this week

I went along and listened to David Martin at Stawell tonight and we have definitely got the right man for the job. He spoke for 2hrs including answering many questions and luckily he likes a challenge because the picture he painted is certainly one of an industry at the crossroads.

It would seem that he has had to be very much a CFO of late, Chief Financial Officer, for it has been imperative to get our turnover up before June 30 as this determines our share of TAB revenue AND it had been heading in the wrong direction.

The supplementary races have been an important part of the strategy to try and turn this around.
    They have been additional $3,500 and $5,000 races as these races are pretty much guaranteed to make money which is essential as the $200k+ of additional races so far is in excess of that budgeted for.

We may be asset rich, or OK at least, provided we can unlock the value of the Melton acreage in the future but in the meantime we are cash poor as we have a huge debt which requires millions to service.

I am confident David will certainly get the books in order, whatever it takes and I hope that Chairman Dale Monteith may be able to keep exploring Big Rock options as we have to make things happen, capture peoples' interest to go forward

It is well worth getting along to one of the following

Wednesday 14 June Charlton HRC

Thursday 15 June Cranbourne HRC

Sunday 18 June Melton Tabcorp Park

Monday 19 June Shepparton HRC

Friday 30 June Mildura HRC

All 7.30pm starts

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33841
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-14-2017 at 12:32 PM. Reason: asset rich not capital rich
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I went along and listened to David Martin at Stawell tonight and we have definitely got the right man for the job. He spoke for 2hrs including answering many questions and luckily he likes a challenge because the picture he painted is certainly one of an industry at the crossroads.

It would seem that he has had to be very much a CFO of late, Chief Financial Officer, for it has been imperative to get our turnover up before June 30 as this determines our share of TAB revenue AND it had been heading in the wrong direction.

The supplementary races have been an important part of the strategy to try and turn this around.
    They have been additional $3,500 and $5,000 races as these races are pretty much guaranteed to make money which is essential as the $200k+ of additional races so far is in excess of that budgeted for.

We may be asset rich, or OK at least, provided we can unlock the value of the Melton acreage in the future but in the meantime we are cash poor as we have a huge debt which requires millions to service.

I am confident David will certainly get the books in order, whatever it takes and I hope that Chairman Dale Monteith may be able to keep exploring Big Rock options as we have to make things happen, capture peoples' interest to go forward

It is well worth getting along to one of the following

Wednesday 14 June Charlton HRC

Thursday 15 June Cranbourne HRC

Sunday 18 June Melton Tabcorp Park

Monday 19 June Shepparton HRC

Friday 30 June Mildura HRC

All 7.30pm starts

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33841
    Who would have thought the $5K supp races were beneficial eh
    Last edited by Messenger; 06-14-2017 at 12:31 PM. Reason: correction to quote

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Who would have thought the $5K supp races were beneficial eh
    Touche Breno
    BUT the trainers present do not really like them (and less so the $3,500 races)
    It would seem that we will be underpaying those who put on the show for some time until we right the ship
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Amlin will become famous soon enough Amlin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kyle Galley
    I saw the presentation through the Country Clubs meet and can only say it is well worth hearing.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A little more detail from the Stawell presentation (I typed it in a pm to somebody and I thought I may as well put it here too)

We have been in decline but we seemed to have really stuffed up programming (number of races etc) and this has contributed to our turnover being down and whatever the figure is on June 30, it will determine our share of TAB Joint Venture revenue for the next year.
    The spate of supplementary races of late has been trying to get that figure up

I am sure DM will balance the books but there were a few trainers who restrained themselves (as there was no way of arguing with the facts presented) however they are understandably not happy having to race for $3,500
    He is nevertheless willing to look at anything eg $4k & $8k racing instead of $10k, $7.5k, $3.5k.
    He listened to all suggestions such as: you should be able to win two $5k races before going up a grade etc etc

A reservation of mine is that
    The presentation emphasized the importance of marketing but did not spend a minute on it.
    To me the importance of attracting new people to get to the trots (which led me to bring up the problem of Melton only catering for the Western fringe of Melbourne) is the crux. Without the next generation going to the trots, who is going to buy horses and keep the industry alive?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A couple more dates have been added to the list.
    There are now 3 to go:

Mildura - Friday June 30

Terang - Tuesday July 11

Ballarat - Monday July 17

http://www.harness.org.au/news-artic...?news_id=33989
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Probably already a thread covering this but one thing that came up in the roadshow was branding. Harness racing or Trots. Pretty sure David leaned towards Trots. Can new and creative marketing shrug off any lingering negative connotations?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    TROTS has elicited a few smirks from my friends. A lot of my friends didn't even know harness racing was a thing so unless they can build mass awareness, the word trots is always going to be seen as a little negative

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think the only advantage of 'trots' is its length or lack of compared to 'harness racing'. We could use just 'harness'
    Another advantage the gallops have I suppose, if you say you're going to the 'races' everybody knows that you mean 'thoroughbred racing'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I think the only advantage of 'trots' is its length or lack of compared to 'harness racing'. We could use just 'harness'
    Another advantage the gallops have I suppose, if you say you're going to the 'races' everybody knows that you mean 'thoroughbred racing'
    That's where DM was coming from Kev, 'Trots' (still) easily identifiable and under one umbrella.

Obviously didn't help with the hot to trot campaign...are we still using hot to trot??

+ Reply to Thread