Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River

Rights to appeal

Unfortunately those who have positives will utilise all avenues to appeal as the various laws govern what to allow and what not to but certain trainers who have higher earning capacity will have appeals heard 6-12 months from time of offence and I think you can apply for extra time due to health concerns etc so add on another 6 months and inevitably they still earn, buy horses, punt & in the meantime persons like myself who own horses in both codes suffer.
    What I mean by that is I punt my horses to pay for there monthly bills, makes up about 50% so it eases the pressure of having 10 in work but I only use country trainers that in both codes have good and local ethics, proven over time (History).
    I would not give my horse to the ones who have had previous charges laid as you know the old saying that those that mix in certain circles usually know what is going on.
    Refer back to The Sam Kavanagh case with certain Harness identities who there characters preceeded them.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Good points you make Brian and Michael and are probably the logic behind the stewards opposing a stay.
    It would be interesting to have a db of Trainers records to assist those who prioritize ethics when seeking a trainer. No doubt word of mouth is invaluable but if in doubt, I imagine googling someone nowadays is generally going to find any offences they have been found guilty of.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Gelding Big Mac will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    dean mac
    Horses
    Greg The Great
    Michael,
    all great points. Only thing is, the case going on at the moment doesn't fit in those categories,
    And with your pre-requisites could have been a trainer for you.
    I Struggle to see why the Hopes would risk a 50 year clear history to use a substance for gain in lowly races and not have a bet. It certainly wasn't for prize money. And to top it off the horses ran badly, and didn't ever look wining chances. I'll wait and see how this plays out.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Forget motives, records etc Dean - explain those high readings
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I certainly agree with PB about this

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/horse...29-glarv9.html

I am not so sure that Danny O'Brien would still be looking forward to the case (see attached Snip - best I could do as although I read The Sun today, I am not a subsciber) after this development

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/horse...30-glbtzu.html
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    Just wondering what people think of the opinion of one of the leading vets in Australia on Cobalt are??

https://audioboom.com/boos/3904249-n...gieter-4-12-15

There appears to be some serious questions at least whether Cobalt is a Class 1. According to Dr Nick Kannegieter, definitely not.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    http://www.theage.com.au/sport/horse...07-glh9mu.html

It would seem that Mr Gleeson thinks Danny O'Brien is a bit shifty
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling Rob Nalder will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Rob Nalder
    Occupation
    Director of IPB.
    Horses
    Conrod Straight, Titanium Driver, About
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Just wondering what people think of the opinion of one of the leading vets in Australia on Cobalt are??

https://audioboom.com/boos/3904249-n...gieter-4-12-15

There appears to be some serious questions at least whether Cobalt is a Class 1. According to Dr Nick Kannegieter, definitely not.
    Adam, No one can question Doctor Nicks knowledge and understanding of our great equine breed. This very forthright opinion he has expressed must raise several questions about Cobalt once again. The one point that nobody disagrees with is the point about large massive readings are extremely dangerous to the horse and should be dealt with as being totally harmful to the horse in question. Having said that I am still trying to understand all the factual details around Cobalt being a proven performance enhancer. We know it is extremely toxic in large quantities but I must admit I am yet to find any form of factual detail that can but to rest once and for all that Cobalt is a performance enhancer in the equine breed. I think we that have tried to stay fully educated on what has been put out there on Cobalt are all waiting to see the findings / research / studies presently being undertaken around the World on this very subject. One thing I do know is over the next 12 - 18 months we should all have the findings on this issue finally expressed in a way we can all agree on,one and for all.
    All the best and keep up the research on it all.

Rob Nalder
    Last edited by Richard prior; 12-08-2015 at 12:07 AM.

Member Filly Boydy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Adam Boyd
    Rob,

Thanks for the comments, normally information that differs from the "Lynch Mob" mentality don't get any type of response. I agree with you that anyone that is using non approved supplements to treat horses deserve everything they get. If participants are using concoctions brewed up by some wood-be chemist give them life. Its that simple and I have no sympathy for those people.

The issues with cobalt are, no testing has every been done on long term use, with all due respect 3 days is not long term. No testing has ever been done what the retention periods are if you received a horse that has been given high levels of cobalt particularly by another party, although HRNSW has done testing on a horse from a cobalt disqualified trainer however never chose to seize the horse. I often wonder why they seize horses with TCO2 but never seize the horse in question with regards cobalt. The cynic in me tells me it might prove something they do not want to prove. No testing or research has ever been done as to what are the performance enhancing traits of Cobalt or if there actually are any. Finally, under HRNSW own guidelines a Class 1 substance is a substance that should not be used for horses. Clearly approved substances contain Cobalt and even HRNSW trials that a horse can get over the level with approved supplements.

My feelings are that the majority of people convicted of Cobalt Offences are guilty and the industry feeling is, oh well to bad if the innocent minority have to pay the price. Guilty or not guilty I do not think that Cobalt in anyway can be shown as a Class 1 substance and maybe some time in the future this comment will be shown incorrect. If you follow Dr Nick logic any trainer should be injecting their horses with Cobalt containing supplements weeks before they race to get the supposed unproven EPO effect.

Like I said previously any trainer injecting or treating their horse with an unapproved substance should get life.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydy View Post
    Rob,

Thanks for the comments, normally information that differs from the "Lynch Mob" mentality don't get any type of response. I agree with you that anyone that is using non approved supplements to treat horses deserve everything they get. If participants are using concoctions brewed up by some wood-be chemist give them life. Its that simple and I have no sympathy for those people.

The issues with cobalt are, no testing has every been done on long term use, with all due respect 3 days is not long term. No testing has ever been done what the retention periods are if you received a horse that has been given high levels of cobalt particularly by another party, although HRNSW has done testing on a horse from a cobalt disqualified trainer however never chose to seize the horse. I often wonder why they seize horses with TCO2 but never seize the horse in question with regards cobalt. The cynic in me tells me it might prove something they do not want to prove. No testing or research has ever been done as to what are the performance enhancing traits of Cobalt or if there actually are any. Finally, under HRNSW own guidelines a Class 1 substance is a substance that should not be used for horses. Clearly approved substances contain Cobalt and even HRNSW trials that a horse can get over the level with approved supplements.

My feelings are that the majority of people convicted of Cobalt Offences are guilty and the industry feeling is, oh well to bad if the innocent minority have to pay the price. Guilty or not guilty I do not think that Cobalt in anyway can be shown as a Class 1 substance and maybe some time in the future this comment will be shown incorrect. If you follow Dr Nick logic any trainer should be injecting their horses with Cobalt containing supplements weeks before they race to get the supposed unproven EPO effect.

Like I said previously any trainer injecting or treating their horse with an unapproved substance should get life.
    So that I know what to look out for in the future - are you saying that horses using approved supplements only can register a 200+ positive - How can anybody be found guilty, these gallops trainers have nothing to worry about
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread