Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fairfield 2

Junior Member Foal cbabet will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    chris amos

Fairfield 2

Hi, I am not expert to trot/pace racing and I was on the 9 in fairfield race 2 yesterday. Mates have told me that this was a good example of why the dont bet in the trots. I was wondering if someone with more expertise could comment, the 9 appeared to be able to win if the driver 'gave it to him a bit more in the straight' instead it appears he just sat back until the last few seconds - http://www.trotstv.com.au/?mc=FF210414&rn=2 ? Thanks

aussiebreno
    Have to see head on but Id expect there was not sufficient room to get through.

Super Moderator Stallion Richard prior will become famous soon enough Richard prior's Avatar
    Real Name
    Richard Prior
    Occupation
    Gas Operator
    Horses
    Intransit
    Exactly right Breno, Looking at the Drivers body language. No sprint lane at Fairfield Chris and you need to take this into consideration, If there's a sprint lane or the leader rolls off, your horse wins easily.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I have not been a fan of sprint lanes Chris but if your mate is referring to the once upon a time problem of horses being held up for a run a the trots - tell him that in Victoria at least, all horses are pretty much just as assured of getting a run as they are at the gallops. Of course horses are rarely held up at the gallops due to the fact that they have such long straights and they are not pulling a wide sulky behind them
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 4YO brent_L will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Brent Lambert
    Commiserations Chris. With a little more room/luck you get the bickies.

I wonder whether it's time for across the board sprint lanes?? Cash is king unfortunately, and while I believe racing without a lane is more exciting than with, I sympathise with the punter at the pub who in most part has no way of informing them self (in addition to the want) as to what the 'set-up' is at each given track. Take yesterday, Chris may be watching winners come thru the sprint lane all afternoon long at Albion Park, Pinjarra & Charlton only to see his charge go to the line hard held at Fairfield. I do imagine there is a tonne of business lost from the 'night-time pub punter' who is left to decipher such things like how many off the front? is there a sprint lane? where is my horse in the run? It's obviously much easier to bet the pink/red/blue etc dog at the dishlickers.
    IMO turnover would skyrocket if each track had the same number of starters off the front, all had sprint lanes and identifying each runner was as clear as the greyhounds.
    Apologies for going slightly off topic.
    Cheers

Junior Member Foal cbabet will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    chris amos
    Ok thanks for that info I wasnt aware of there being no sprint lane at that track. What I was getting at is it was somewhat rigged and 'wasnt supposed to win'. But as said theres no sprint lane, thats why, thanks for all your help.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by cbabet View Post
    Ok thanks for that info I wasnt aware of there being no sprint lane at that track. What I was getting at is it was somewhat rigged and 'wasnt supposed to win'. But as said theres no sprint lane, thats why, thanks for all your help.
    And that quick to scream 'rigged' crap that your mate suggested is what harness racing has to put up with compared to other codes. Reminds me of when I taught in a poor neighbourhood and a study showed how the stereotype of the suburb was perpetuated by the media in that any crime in the neighbourhood made the news/papers while the exact same crimes in other suburbs never got a mention
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_L View Post
    Commiserations Chris. With a little more room/luck you get the bickies.

I wonder whether it's time for across the board sprint lanes?? Cash is king unfortunately, and while I believe racing without a lane is more exciting than with, I sympathise with the punter at the pub who in most part has no way of informing them self (in addition to the want) as to what the 'set-up' is at each given track. Take yesterday, Chris may be watching winners come thru the sprint lane all afternoon long at Albion Park, Pinjarra & Charlton only to see his charge go to the line hard held at Fairfield. I do imagine there is a tonne of business lost from the 'night-time pub punter' who is left to decipher such things like how many off the front? is there a sprint lane? where is my horse in the run? It's obviously much easier to bet the pink/red/blue etc dog at the dishlickers.
    IMO turnover would skyrocket if each track had the same number of starters off the front, all had sprint lanes and identifying each runner was as clear as the greyhounds.
    Apologies for going slightly off topic.
    Cheers
    Whether it would skyrocket or just improve is hard to know Brent but it would seem a no-brainer doesn't it
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread