Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question on warm ups before a race

Junior Member Foal lauren will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    lauren mcclure

question on warm ups before a race

I was a stb groom a zillion years ago. I forgot some of how things are done and times have changed. Can you give me some possible examples of how and when a horse would be warmed up for a specific number race? Say, if you have one in the 7th race, would they possibly go out after the 1st & 4th race? Does that sound right? Yes, I know it is different for each horse & trainer? Do they still do two warm ups before a race? Thanks. Other examples would be appreciated.

Real Name
    lauren mcclure
    No one? Please. I know y'all know how it's done.

Senior Member 3YO Gtrain has a spectacular aura about Gtrain's Avatar
    Real Name
    Grant Train
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren View Post
    I was a stb groom a zillion years ago. I forgot some of how things are done and times have changed. Can you give me some possible examples of how and when a horse would be warmed up for a specific number race? Say, if you have one in the 7th race, would they possibly go out after the 1st & 4th race? Does that sound right? Yes, I know it is different for each horse & trainer? Do they still do two warm ups before a race? Thanks. Other examples would be appreciated.
    From my limited experience Lauren, it is up to the individual trainer but if they wish to warm up their horse between earlier races that is possible. Some still do this however the majority of trainers utilise the fifteen to twenty minutes on the track prior to the race as the horses warm up. Hope this answers your question.

Senior Member 2YO Njcstables will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Nathan Cahir
    Hi Lauren, in vic if you want to warm up a horse you have to do it with the race prior. Also it needs to be nominated on a horses gear form that that horse warms up. If you were to decide to not warm up anymore you need to change a horses gear form. In North America horses will often warm up more than once but not here. They take warming up far more seriously there than here. In fact I'm finding less and less trainers warm horses up now.

Real Name
    lauren mcclure
    Thanks all. In the US do they still usually go out for two seperate warmups and also the one before the race?

Junior Member Foal nomireatras will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Malcolm
    It usually depends on the age of the horse, if it is a youngster you usually go twice, for an aged horse who may have some problems, going out once is enough. also the temperature outside and the humidity come in to the equation. if it is beastly hot, you may want to limit how strenuously you warm up your horse. in the US in moderate weather, it is usual to let your horse stand for 2 races from his warm up to his call to post. for instance, if you are in the 6th, and you only are going out once, you would go out after the 3rd race. in very cold weather, they usually stand for one race. If you are going to turn the horse and go a trip, you just back that up and go, stand 1 or 2 races, depending on how hard he is breathing and go again and stand at least 2 before his race. so much depends on the horse's condition and how he best responds that there is not one classic answer for all.

Real Name
    lauren mcclure
    Thanks so much, Nom! That was most helpful!

Junior Member Foal nomireatras will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Carol Malcolm
    Most racetracks require all horses to go around the track at least once sometime before they are called out for post parade. Call it a warm up but it is usually mandated by the racing laws of the state where the race is being contested or by the racing rules of the particular track. Especially in this age of simulcasting, it gives the betting public a look at the horse before he races so they can make their own evaluation as to whether they want to wager on him.

+ Reply to Thread