Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    The thought of driving through Melbourne keeps many trainers away from Cranbourne & Warragul, even if you live in the northern or western suburbs it's a nightmare to get there. It's a fact that will kill the sport in that area. Personally I think we should just shut those two clubs now and concentrate on the north , west and central clubs. Many people wont like the idea but the traffic will only get worse and the rest of the industry should not have to subsidize the east.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It would be giving up on large part of the state/potential market.
    The alternative is Kyle's idea:
    "I believe we need to work towards a weekly race meet between YV, Cran and Wgl in five years"
    Whereby there is enough local racing for trainers to base themselves in the East. If Mildura can thrive you would think a YCW conglomeration could too
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Compare Shep (Fri) with Thursday's Cranbourne meet. We really have to decide how we are going to help/keep the East

Interesting to note for Shep that the 1690 races have a max of 11 runners while the 2190 races can have 12

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...&fromstate=vic

6. FIELD LIMITS
    6.1 – At all racetracks with a circumference of 900 metres and greater, a field limit of 12 starters will apply. At all racetracks with a circumference of less than 900 metres, a field limit of 10 starters in mobile races and 12 starters in standing start races will apply, pending restrictions at some venues.
    6.2All races run over 1720m or less will be restricted to 10 starters at all venues.
    6.3 – All restricted penalty races will be restricted to 10 starters.
    6.4 – The HRV Board may determine on occasions that a feature race will be conducted with an increased field limit.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Thanks Wayne, looking at those 1690 races again - they only had 11 runners including the emergency
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Welcome to WA where tracks are far spread out and country trainers have to drive hours to all meetings. The closest to our place is 30mins (besides Busselton which is a 650m track). Next is Pinjarra a minimum of 1.5hrs and then GP which is 2.75. Dad makes the 2 GP meetings and 1 PJ meeting most weeks when GP replaces BY. That's 12.5 hours of driving a week. Less meets at Bunbury is really hurting smaller country trainers

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    It would be giving up on large part of the state/potential market.
    The alternative is Kyle's idea:
    "I believe we need to work towards a weekly race meet between YV, Cran and Wgl in five years"
    Whereby there is enough local racing for trainers to base themselves in the East. If Mildura can thrive you would think a YCW conglomeration could too
    "Horse going crazy in the float"

"I wish programmers from hrv were in the car going to Cranbourne with me tonight they might understand why people don’t mid week night at Cranbourne my last time"

Kyle, Kev those are real life quotes from a trainer on Twitter stuck in traffic trying to get across town going to Cranbourne. If the east is to be retained then that weekly circuit needs to commence in much less then five years, and as Rick says it's not fair for the rest of the state to subsidise those 3 tracks, so a way to develop that cct without taking funding from other regions would need to be found.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Of course the above traffic delay scenario could happen for anyone going to Melton or Geelong from the Yarra Valley or the SE.

In the AFL: Vic, SA and WA have subsidised QLD and NSW (and possibly TAS one day) with the view that in the long term it will pay dividends. We have to decide whether it is worth it in the long term. I remember (I think correctly) when Cranbourne was a popular track. It has certainly fallen away but it is in an area of huge population growth. I think HRV see a future for Cranbourne going on them receiving an Inter night
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Which is perhaps one of the reasons the number of trainers in the South east has declined Kev. I don't think your AFL analogy quite fits here Kev. AFL was never strong in the states you mention as subsidised and the AFL has attempted to grow the game in them, and not everyone is in agreement with that policy.

The south east of Melbourne was a strong harness racing area that is in decline because of increasing urbanisation consuming land formerly used for the keeping and training of horses and other issues such as affordibilty and traffic associated with that. You can steer people into supporting AFL in regions with growing populations, darn hard to make affordable land available for keeping horses in urbanised regions of high population growth though. Cranbourne has the training centre of course but it was designed for the training of future trainers and is not very user friendly for trainers trying to train professionally or fit training in with a job. ( unless it's been modified since I last visited)

HRV did give Cranbourne an ID heat, and if I recall correctly have now restored Saturday Night as the feature night for harness racing at Melton for the vast majority of Saturday nights, the only night it appears viable for meetings at Cranbourne with regard to traffic so it's hard to know what HRVs intentions are.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    The fact that Cranbourne has a large population in surrounding areas is irrelevant to HRV as they have clearly shown over the last 20 years that they are not interested in on course attendance . It's all about turnover so if an area doesn't have enough local trainers to fill race cards then they need to increase the amount of participants or cut the losses and stop racing in that area.
    Don't die wondering !

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Two $4k races and Two $5k races at Melton on a Saturday night is embarrassing - regardless of whether there were 5 metro races at Kilmore on Thursday

per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread