Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fremantle Cup 2018

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    I now know I am not the only one that thought NR eased to let MP in - I reckon MP quick enough to realize they would be shot if he had taken the 1x1

Stewards report's up Kev or have you seen it?

Junior Member Weanling niloc will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    colin robinson
    pure steel sat 3 wide for an entire miracle mile, i know cause i was there!!.the time was not flash but the courage was immeasurable,big class difference between a miracle mile and a fremantle cup.oh yes and pure steel did win that miracle mile,so let's not get carried away with that great run.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Mighty Atom will become famous soon enough Mighty Atom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rod Reeves
    Occupation
    retired

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by niloc View Post
    pure steel sat 3 wide for an entire miracle mile, i know cause i was there!!.the time was not flash but the courage was immeasurable,big class difference between a miracle mile and a fremantle cup.oh yes and pure steel did win that miracle mile,so let's not get carried away with that great run.
    Agreed Colin, Pure Steel, pure guts and determination, I will never forget his 1980 AG Hunter Cup win when he sat on the outside of Paleface Adios all the way and went on to win with the great sit/sprinter Koala

King unable to run him down. The call of that race was remarkable. Pure Steel, my all time favourite until I'm Themightyquinn came along.

Footnote. They actually measured the stride of Pure Steel in full flight....... 7.9 metres or 26 feet. incredible.
    Last edited by Mighty Atom; 01-15-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Fan of Jate View Post
    Kev, I just dropped in a comparison to lazarus's performance because you did put a question mark to it which to me indicates some type of participation or answer in what you raised. I wasnt arguing about it.

Not only that, it opened up the forum topic to others who have remembered great performances in the past especially those older guys who were around watching Pure Steel, Hondo Grattan etc. Great performances do get forgotten over time especially now that tracks are faster leading to crazy mile rates and horses have better avenues to medical treatment etc.
    Yep the ? was there for discussion and I like the comparisons (being an old guy myself).
    I was only really arguing about the run being 3w
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by niloc View Post
    It was a great run Colin but he only sat 3w for the last lap (most of the first lap he was on the fence last)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXObwKQe9NQ

The MM only has 6 runners and apart from Pure Steel, Paleface and Markovina (skittled fav) were the other stars that year - this year's Freo Cup was not too shabby
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    Stewards report's up Kev or have you seen it?
    Yes thanks Wayne, it reads like a Mark Purdon interview. The video is not really good enough (angle) to tell but looking at Bettors and the Bull you could not be sure if they quickened to cause Ultimate Machete to drop back a couple of metres

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/ste...l/?mc=GP120118
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    Quote Originally Posted by Toohard View Post
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?objectid=11975048

Calculations say he covered 56ms extra. Means he ran mile rate 1.52.8 over nearly 2600m.
    Hey folks, yes Pure Steel sat 3 wide for an "entire Miracle Mile" a very slow miracle mile and the MM is over approximately 1600 metres not 2600....as Paul has pointed out, Lazarus's effort was OUTSTANDING, I know there are a few among us that have been around a while, who can remember ANY other incident either side of the ditch where a group one race over further than the mile was won by a horse sitting 3 wide the entire journey?? Bit of a harness tragic as some of you know the answer is ZERO, how about you all give the horse and his camp the credit they deserve? What about the time? what is the track record for that distance? anything like sub 1.54? leave alone sub 1.53?? If you take the blinkers off you will notice that Lazarus dug VERY deep near the line trying to fight off the winner...I reckon another 50 yards Lazarus wins!! There were some on this forum that were bagging the horse through he ID heats, he came out and done the big job on the big night, as predicted.

Is Lazarus the best horse ever?, he is a ripper but in order to get that tag he still has a power of work to do, but at the moment he is way better than anything in the Southern Hemisphere.

Senior Member Stallion Showgrounds is just really nice Showgrounds is just really nice
    Real Name
    Trevor Brown
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Hey folks, yes Pure Steel sat 3 wide for an "entire Miracle Mile" a very slow miracle mile and the MM is over approximately 1600 metres not 2600....as Paul has pointed out, Lazarus's effort was OUTSTANDING, I know there are a few among us that have been around a while, who can remember ANY other incident either side of the ditch where a group one race over further than the mile was won by a horse sitting 3 wide the entire journey?? Bit of a harness tragic as some of you know the answer is ZERO, how about you all give the horse and his camp the credit they deserve? What about the time? what is the track record for that distance? anything like sub 1.54? leave alone sub 1.53?? If you take the blinkers off you will notice that Lazarus dug VERY deep near the line trying to fight off the winner...I reckon another 50 yards Lazarus wins!! There were some on this forum that were bagging the horse through he ID heats, he came out and done the big job on the big night, as predicted.

Is Lazarus the best horse ever?, he is a ripper but in order to get that tag he still has a power of work to do, but at the moment he is way better than anything in the Southern Hemisphere.
    Enuff said.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,

Easily the best run I can recall Dan.

aussiebreno

Good post Dan. Was waiting for an 'old timer' to come in and say something like this.

+ Reply to Thread