Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mark McNamara - how did we let him get away??

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers

Mark McNamara - how did we let him get away??

Anyone watching the fine broadcast on Sky2 yesterday surely must be scratching their heads wondering how NZ could have poached Mark McNamara away from Australia.

Certainly one of the finest harness callers I have heard in my (rather long) life. Was a brilliant caller here before going to NZ and it was a real shock when we lost him a couple of years back.

There was a real gap when Mark left NSW , but thank goodness Fred Hastings has filled the gap to some extent. I was worried that the high-pitched , often inaccurate , squawking parrot Kevin Thompson would take over , but sanity ruled.

Kevin , you've done your best :-( Now , to use a well worn Gough Whitlam election expression from the 1970's , "IT'S TIME". Time to retire ........ please ....... soon. Have a long and happy retirement away from race calling. I just can't take listening to the Newcastle trots anymore while you are the caller.
    Last edited by David Summers; 06-05-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Super Moderator Stallion mango will become famous soon enough mango's Avatar
    Real Name
    Dallas Harvey
    Occupation
    Shift Operator
    Horses
    G R We There Yet, Crowea
    There's a post Fred Hasting's 16-4-11 you will see some comments there.

Member Gelding Zipper will become famous soon enough Zipper's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Mark is a good caller and is a loss to Australian Harness Racing if you look at that way.

That being said we still have a host of great callers. I love Craig Rails passion, Dan Malecki is a pro, Fred is solid as well. Chris Barsby seems well regarded in QLD.

Plenty of talent indeed!!

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Yes , indeed we are very lucky in Australia. Did anyone have the misfortune to hear that dreadful caller of the Elliplope heats and final from Sweden on Sky last weekend.

Absolutely hopeless. The worst race calling I can recall hearing. In one heat he had the leader by a couple of lengths into the straight as the horse running second. No enthusiasm at all in the call and seemed frankly disinterested :-(

He should spend some time with Dan Malecki. He can make a Kilmore M0 sound like a heat of an Interdominion. I love his professionalism and passion in his calls.
    Last edited by David Summers; 06-06-2011 at 12:48 PM.

triplev123
    It was a one off but for a touch of brilliance I'll always remember a short, sharp piece Roger Huston's call from years ago, a minor race during an Adelaide ID carnival I think it was? "The Messiah...nailed to the rail". Inspired stuff that.

Flashing Red
    Jimmy Jacques - there's a possum in the box! Gets me every time :P

Real Name
    David Summers
    I think you might mean David Fowler at Albion Park. What a classic call. Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqQP6oNxG0

Speaking of Jimmy Jacques what about his legendary "Hoarse Whisperer" call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdapW_utus

triplev123
    The best one I ever heard was replayed on radio here in Sydney quite a few years ago now.
    It was a fella from Melbourne who's name escapes me at present but it'll come. Anyway, he used to call the TB's and was a D-E-S-P-E-R-A-D-O punter. You could tell which horse he had backed in a race by the way he kept wrapping it up in the call...''so & so travelling beautifully" and so on.
    Anyway, this day the guy telling the story said the caller had really opened the shoulders and had the rent, the grocery money and then some on a short shot in, of all things, a Hurdles/Jumps race. The caller launches into his usual wrap of the horse carrying his hard earned with " so & so is clearing them with ease as they come to the mile marker" etc etc and then you hear a moment of silence followed by considerable commotion in the box and on the microphone and then the sheer terror in his voice as he is overcome with grief and shouts "Oh my GOD! The Bastard's fallen!".
    Hahahahahahahaha. When I heard it for the first time I fell about the place laughing. I wish I could track that piece of audio down. Anyone that has had a punt & had circumstance rob them of their upcoming hot meal or has had to take Shanks Pony home rather than catch a Taxi would know what I'm talking about.

Flashing Red
    Quote Originally Posted by ozninja View Post
    I think you might mean David Fowler at Albion Park. What a classic call. Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNqQP6oNxG0

Speaking of Jimmy Jacques what about his legendary "Hoarse Whisperer" call http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHdapW_utus
    My mistake. Jimmy Jacques is my favorite caller but you are right, it is Fowler. I joined the Possum in the Box Facebook group, lmao!

Junior Member Foal Diago will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Quote Originally Posted by triplev123 View Post
    It was a one off but for a touch of brilliance I'll always remember a short, sharp piece Roger Huston's call from years ago, a minor race during an Adelaide ID carnival I think it was? "The Messiah...nailed to the rail". Inspired stuff that.

yes i remember that race like it was yesterday, on the 15th of March 1997 .. $7k race, just beaten by Repaki Lad NZ, still waiting to get another one like him

+ Reply to Thread