Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Senior Member Horse Of The Year KTQ will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Katie Howlett
    Horses
    Jack Mac, Sugar Street
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Most dress casually for the trots and I may be accused of being a snob here but if you were in the ownership of the short favourite in the Gp2 Cochran Cup - would you consider wearing something other than a Chicago Bulls singlet for your winning pic with legend Graeme Lang?

Yup!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    We are going bad when there is no semaphore display on track.
    You don't realize how much you refer to it until it goes missing

Apparently the 2 HRV have are out of action.
    It would want to be phenomenal circumstances otherwise I am thinking that whoever has the maintenance contract gets a FAIL
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member 2YO Bonnie will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Anne Anderson
    Occupation
    Horse Breeder /Owner
    Horses
    Ladies In Red, Hurricane Harley, Honolua
    Most dress casually for the trots and I may be accused of being a snob here but if you were in the ownership of the short favourite in the Gp2 Cochran Cup - would you consider wearing something other than a Chicago Bulls singlet for your winning pic with legend Graeme Lang?
    I fully agree with these comments. The dress code for on track presentations is listed in the Tabcorp Park Racebook, yet is NOT enforced. It is our ‘ metro’ track and standards should be set and maintained. HRV are not helping our image publicity wise either: they published the same photo in the lift out in the Herald Sun promoting our big night of Group 1 racing !

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Surely you two can not be serious. All that ails the industry and you want to complain about a guy who was obviously wrapped to win a big race for wearing a Chicago Bulls singlet over an adidas t shirt and the dress code! Sure he’s not likely to win fashion on the field but he’s not there for that, he’s there to support his horse, having invested his hard earned in our industry. We need to be encouraging more like him to be part of an inclusive not exclusive trots family. You want more young people to attend then do away with the dress code, and maybe they will become members as well.

Certainly Gloucester Park could do with some young members, but perhaps you’d be more comfortable there Ann, they do enforce the dress code, and you’ll be lucky if you see anyone in the members there under 60, likely considerably more, as GP heads for the same fate as HP.

What is our image Ann? Just an industry for the toffs who like to dress up? ( Nothing wrong with that if it’s how you feel comfortable dressing) How about working blokes or gals and families aren’t they welcome too? Shouldn’t we be trying to get more people to all our races not just those who like to dress up. I think it was a great photo to show that we are a place for all. (Ok if we’re being picky there wasn’t a women in it but we all know just how inclusive of women the trots are)

But yes Ann/Kev, GA is from an era where people dressed up to go to the trots, but he was smart enough to know 20years ago it wasnt like that anymore and is certainly as welcoming of a bloke in a Chicago Bulls singlet in the ownership of his horses as anyone else.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year arlington will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Wayne Hayes
    We are going bad when there is no semaphore display on track.
    You don't realize how much you refer to it until it goes missing

Apparently the 2 HRV have are out of action.
    It would want to be phenomenal circumstances otherwise I am thinking that whoever has the maintenance contract gets a FAIL

As an aside, have you noticed any variation in the way races have been run Kev? Sectional times don't have to be adhered to.
    As a further aside, I'm not sure if there are actually more $4500 races being run but with the first prize money of $2250 there seems to be a higher quality of horse racing in them. And considering a lot of non penalty are/have been run at Melton, does anyone, punters, care there is no sectional time requirement in these?

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Sent from Dot
    The Weaver/Bruscemi ownership group, one of the most successful in the US industry for many many years at the presentation for Warrawee Ubeaut fastest 2yo mile in history.
    Attached Images
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Dot, Ann and myself may be out of touch (and my dislike of basketball showing through LOL)
    Maybe that is one of our 'points of difference' with the gallops for it sure would not happen there (for a Gp1)
    Although they have a cross-section of dressers at their big meets it seems that plenty like to dress up and the owners are always
    Is it a coincidence that they are the code that is attracting the big money
    I know nothing about US gallops but US harness is apparently going backwards like us

Overall, you're right that dress code is not a serious problem, just a personal irk of mine when I saw that pic being taken - maybe even snobbish

A good crowd at Stawell's Australia Day meet yesterday but my wife and I both laughed that by far the predominant hair colour in the lounge/bistro was grey and I don't think the scant dress code had anything to do with that. The club had tried to attract the families and younger crowd (band, laser tag etc) and had some success but overall I think the average age of the crowd would still have been pushing 60

I am reminded of a time 25yrs ago when at a quiet Yarra Valley meet I took my son (< 10yo) into the members with me. The President at the time (I would be guessing his name now but the one who looked like a bulldog) told me he had to leave even though he was just sitting quietly and there were very few in there (but included a couple of babies). No surprise my son was not a convert to the trots
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by arlington View Post
    As an aside, have you noticed any variation in the way races have been run Kev? Sectional times don't have to be adhered to.
    As a further aside, I'm not sure if there are actually more $4500 races being run but with the first prize money of $2250 there seems to be a higher quality of horse racing in them. And considering a lot of non penalty are/have been run at Melton, does anyone, punters, care there is no sectional time requirement in these?
    Until yesterday I did not know about the semaphore problem (I am pretty sure there was one at Ballarat, as I would be surprised if I did not notice the absence of one). I wondered why I was seeing no 'Driver Fined' when I saw the slow first half sectionals in some race results. I think you are right that nobody cares but I would think that it has to be advantageous to the leader in what is already a leader dominated code
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Kev the gallops industry is a code in two half’s even more so then we are. Whilst the big end of town continues to get bigger many of the smaller and country trainers on every continent are struggling to remain viable

Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Only 6races/38 runners at the Cranbourne meeting tomorrow night. Why do I get the feeling we are doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

+ Reply to Thread