Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freemantle Cup

Junior Member Weanling Brando will become famous soon enough Brando's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown

Freemantle Cup

I was just wondering how come a race worth $250k didn't attract a lot more quality pacers from the east?

Flashing Red
    LMAO - because the Western Australians handle us east coasters whenever we go there! lol! :P

All jokes aside, I agree with you. You would think more would go. In saying that, even if flying, it is a big trip. A number of horses I guess are priming for Hunter Cup (400k?) and/or Interdom at 500k.

nat
    Your right Flashing Red dont forget the W.A. Cup $400,000 the week after and there are a load of incentives for racing in the Victoria Country Cup system look at lets say even though Echuca didn't go ahead the winner was guaranteed a start in the Shepparton Cup the winner of the Shepparton cup (along with the Kilmore, Horsham and NZ Cup) is guaranteed a start in the Hunter Cup. That aside a big expensive trip to W.A. and no dead set guarantee to get a start in the Hunter Cup and racing some decent horse why would you go rather than have a crack at getting a back door in to the Hunter Cup this is why I have always said there needs to be a plan set out for all these races so we can see the best race the best.

Senior Member Colt Phoenix will become famous soon enough Phoenix's Avatar
    Real Name
    Panos Kambas
    I think the two grand circuit races on back-to-back Fridays (worth 650k) is a pretty big incentive for top liners to head over to WA. I have to admit that I was a bit surprised that only Washakie went over.

Flashing Red
    It's a massive trip - you would want the horse to be a good traveller, if not why go there and race when your horse would only be 80%? Even the plane trip from Qld to Vic quietens them for a day or 2. Let along one twice as big to WA.

I personally think the money is too good to pass up. Same as WA Derby (200k) and NSW Derby (100k) which are on the same time. I'm providing reasoning for the other no-shows

+ Reply to Thread