Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Why hasn't Mildura got a sprint lane? You would think there has to be some uniformity. I always thought Ballarat got away with it (good on them) because they have such a long straight but Mildura have a shorter straight than Stawell
    Last edited by Messenger; 09-06-2016 at 04:10 AM.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    The NSW Oaks was interesting because there is No sprint lane at Menangle - if we knew the leader's back was guaranteed an out, that race would have had zero suspense.
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    An interesting article Trish, relevant to every country even if our racing style is a lot less fence orientated than theirs
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    While the idea of a blackbooker is there for horses who get held up, how about punters investing more because they actually know from previous starts how good a horse is? If a horse gets held up, how do we know how good the horse is? Seems silly to me to be betting on or against a horse if you don't know how good the horse is.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    A problem with the sprint lane is that on most tracks, the lead and the sit behind the leader are the two best positions to hold
    So when a stable has multiple runners and one is quick enough to take the lead, you often see a stablemate come around and be 'given' the lead so that the stable now holds the two most favoured positions
    If there was no sprint lane the original leader would have some explaining to do if they surrendered the lead with no guarantee of getting out (the sprint lane)
    It would stop the equivalent of team driving eg the Douglas stable in the last at Bendigo (no wonder the 7 was heavily supported)

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...20#BNC15062001
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I agree with you Kevin. This would be less of a problem if stewards did their job !
    Don't die wondering !

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by gutwagon View Post
    I agree with you Kevin. This would be less of a problem if stewards did their job !
    This seems to be the hard part.

The amount of QDT missed and then Darby McGuigan gets a QDT for his drive in the last at Melton on Idealsomemagic. He pops in behind early leader and race favourite Smart Little Shard to get the sprint lane. Smart Little Shard ends up handing up putting Idealsomemagic 3 pegs. The alternative was stay in the running line and end up death seating with the Smart Little Shard and Cocosfella the 2 best horses in the race having the best runs. Ludicrous Darby gets a QDT with the amount of drives that go unquestioned. The stewards even QDT Smart Little Shard showing they thought he should hold the lead, so why on earth they would then go on to query Darby if they were of the opinion Smart Little Shard should have held the lead giving Idealsomemagic the sprint lane is beyond me.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    You would have thought there was a sprint lane at Menangle last night with the way 2 inside runs presented for Luke McCarthy in the big ones (R4 & R7)
    I sometimes wonder whether the advent of poles instead of fences has made it harder for leaders to hold their line (poles are of course a must for safer racing)

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=PC241020
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Yearling JanellePeter will become famous soon enough JanellePeter's Avatar
    Real Name
    J & P Haywood
    Occupation
    Sectional Data to HRA
    Hi
    I am a race analyser (Just to clarify before I start). This debate is circular and I agree with both points of view. There will be times you will be duded by a sprint lane or duded by no sprint lane. What the industry needs is fair racing. That's what I want as an analyser. If that what you want then start listing what your version of fair is. Here's my list:
    No interference or blocking, every horse gets equal opportunity at the start, pace can't be dictated by a horse just because it can run the first 100m fast to get to the lead, no position in running should have an advantage or disadvantage.
    Now use that criteria to design how to race. There is a very simple answer:
    2.5km straight track, 14 lanes (all start on front), stay in your lane - Then you will see the best horse win which I hope is what we all want to see.

Not good for viewing on course I hear you say between the laugher of the idea just presented.
    Here's a novel solution - Build a moving grandstand! Put the stewards and cameras on it and you will get great viewing on course and at home.
    I probably have you rolling around the floor with laugher by now - And if I do, I guarantee you are one of the people continuing to accept the same thing and debating the same things and getting the same results.
    Be brave, think outside the square and you might just get surprised.
    Home of PJ Harness Analyser - http://pjdata.com.au/

+ Reply to Thread