Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Track Size

aussiebreno

Track Size

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=88922
    Luke McCarthy is quoted as saying ''Given that they measure their tracks in the United States on the pegs, and we measure our track one metre out from the pegs..."

McCarthys comments are interesting.

I'm not a mathematician but I know when running around a football oval I like to hug the line as much as possible because it saves ground; and I am about as fit as Jayne Davies so I feel every centimetre.

Also here is my mathematics.
    American track with radius 200m has circumference of 2 x pi x 200 = 6.28 x 200 = 1256metres.

If that same track was measured in Australia it would have 201m radius. Therefore 2 x pi x 201 = 6.28 x 201 = 1262.28 metres. An extra 6.28metres.

Bare in mind that is with a circle and not an oval or whatever shape you want to call a harness track; but fact of the matter is its an extra distance.

So lets say for a 1600m metre race at Menangle compared to some other 1400m track in America our horses are covering 8 extra metres.
    At a 2minute mile 4m = 0.3 secs so 8metres = 0.6secs. Of course going faster at say 1.48.5 8metres = about 0.55 secs (havent done maths for this just estimated). So really Smoken Up is a 1.48 performer. Somebeachsomewhere holds the world record of 1.46.5 if I have that correct. That is just 1.5 secs inside of us. 20metres going 2minutes so less of a margin say 16metres (estimation) at that pace. Thats just 4 lengths!!!!! And they have a much bigger horse base! Amazing really.

triplev123

Nice one Breno

I like the way Snrub thinks.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoJWSqP2Y_E

In all seriousness though, you're right on the money Breno. Menangle is as fast as any track anywhere in the world and if you were to add US style race bikes, the Lasix, Bute, Steroids and so on and you were to combine them withan up-tempo racing style...all of a sudden it's another big slice off the timer and "hello 1:47 and a piece".
    Someone's going to go a high 1:47's out there in the not too distant future. Smoken Up's 1:48.5 at this time of year is just an incredible mile and you have to wonder what he might do on a warm, humid night in the Summer.

nat
    I think in time if not already Victorian Officials will rue the decision not to opt for a bigger track. They have IMO around 90% of the best tracks in Australia in the country but at the end of the day Menangle is the best track in the country

Ps. Menangle is World Class

triplev123
    Indeed, but I very much doubt they'll ever let on Nat.
    The John & Neil Show knew best & subsequently HRV & the VIC Racing Minister have joined forces to put the issue beyond doubt, driving home the final nail in the Coffin by way of building Legends Cafe...the positioning of which I believe now ensures that there'll be no expansion of that track to 1400m or +. Visionary stuff that. Visionary stuff.
    One day Rex Horne's likeness will be cast in Bronze & displayed with suitable prominence on the lawn out at Menangle...while I fear John & Neil will find their measure of immortality via pictures of their faces placed as a novelty backing on PubTAB & ClubTAB Dart Boards throughout the length and breadth of Victoria.

Senior Member 4YO eliteblood has a spectacular aura about eliteblood's Avatar
    Real Name
    Trevor Swan
    Horses
    Sabilize, Sushi Sushi, Golden Goddess,
    [QUOTE=aussiebreno;5633]http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=88922
    Luke McCarthy is quoted as saying ''Given that they measure their tracks in the United States on the pegs, and we measure our track one metre out from the pegs..."

American track with radius 200m has circumference of 2 x pi x 200 = 6.28 x 200 = 1256metres.

If that same track was measured in Australia it would have 201m radius. Therefore 2 x pi x 201 = 6.28 x 201 = 1262.28 metres. An extra 6.28metres..............

I think there is a fallacy in everyone's thinking.
    The way I see it, if we measure our mile one metre from the pegs and our horses race one metre from the pegs then our horses are in fact running one mile.
    If the Americans measure their mile in line with the pegs and then race one metre wider on the track it would be them that are running the extra distance, not us.

triplev123
    That makes waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much sense Eliteblood.
    Be careful, for remarks like that will see Admin. all over your case ala a carelessly dropped chip being swooped by a ravenous Bondi Seagull. You'll get a much longer free run if you post slanderous comments alledging nefarious behaviour by Menangle based Trainers. (see Buster's track record for details)

aussiebreno
    There's a simpsons moment for everything!!!

Shut down by eliteblood, way to ruin my theory

nat
    I would say there would be some room towards the entrance gate side it would be tight, just did quick look the turns are similar and would need to find around 150m in the straights to make the straights 355m long. I wouldn't say sub 1:50 at Melton is impossible just a lot harder with our playing for sheep stations style of racing.

triplev123

track 'speed' differentials?

I reckon a 1:50 mile at Melton would be the equivalent of a 1:47.0-1:47.5 at Menangle. They've gone 1:48's on a 5/8ths at Harrah's Chester so I guess that it is possible but I'll be pretty amazed if they ever manange to go under 1:50 in a race mile in VIC. Maybe Smoken Up could do it there too?

nat
    Is that throwing down the challenge to be the first in sub 1:50 at Melton, that would be something to hang the hat on.

+ Reply to Thread