Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best Place To Watch The Trots

aussiebreno

Best Place To Watch The Trots

Forever and a day people have, generally, stood somewhere between the winning post and the turn into the home straight. Either at the fence, on the grassed areas or in the grandstand. But where is the best place to watch the action from?

On the home turn: Some funny, dangerous and great things can happen around the turns, especially the last turn and the first turn. A close up around the final bend can leave you in awe of drivers, or leave you with your heart in the mouth, how the hell did danger get averted there type thing. Negatives are you have no idea who is in front when they hit the winning post.

Halfway up the straight: The premium spot to get a good overview of both bends, the back straight and the winning post. It's the middle of everywhere. The most popular spot. On the fence means a clear view, while back in the grandstand means you get a better view of the horses further away (eg in the home straight you get a slightly better view of horses closer to the pegs who may otherwise be obscured).

The winning post. See who wins first in the close finishes. A great spot. Still get a good overview of all areas on the track, although squinting may be required when horses are on the opposite side of the track. All racecallers are situated in this spot so it makes sense thats its a prime spot.

The head on: This is something I've only done a handful of times at Cobram. But I am contemplating doing it tonight at Wagga, at least for a race or two. One disadvantage is you can't really see who is in front. But it is good to mix it up with a front on view instead of a side on view. You see some things you otherwise wouldn't see.

All in all, the closer you are the better. When you can touch the mobile, feel the horses, breath the same air as the drivers. If I had to pick one spot to watch them from for the rest of my life it would be 50m out from the winning post. The same place I was when Blacks A Fake won his Inter at Menangle. Its the balance of being in the middle of everywhere and being at the conclusion, the most important part.

Does anybody use binoculars? Images of thoroughbreds races of the past there are more binoculars than people, but very rarely are they seen at the trots.

What is your favourite vantage point?

Senior Member 3YO 2minuteman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ron James
    Occupation
    General Gadfly
    If it was still available, on the fence in the back straight opposite the winning post.The perspective on whom and what was finishing strong or fainting in the last 50 yds was unequaled.

Senior Member Stallion Danno is a jewel in the rough
    Real Name
    Dan Gibson
    Occupation
    Driving 175:1 winners!
    Horses
    No Stars
    In the bike Brendan! and whilst I know that is not possible for everyone, its definately my preferrred view point!

Cheers,
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread