Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

Thread: Sprint lane debate once and for all!!!!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by JanellePeter View Post
    Hi
    I am a race analyser (Just to clarify before I start). This debate is circular and I agree with both points of view. There will be times you will be duded by a sprint lane or duded by no sprint lane. What the industry needs is fair racing. That's what I want as an analyser. If that what you want then start listing what your version of fair is. Here's my list:
    No interference or blocking, every horse gets equal opportunity at the start, pace can't be dictated by a horse just because it can run the first 100m fast to get to the lead, no position in running should have an advantage or disadvantage.
    Now use that criteria to design how to race. There is a very simple answer:
    2.5km straight track, 14 lanes (all start on front), stay in your lane - Then you will see the best horse win which I hope is what we all want to see.

Not good for viewing on course I hear you say between the laugher of the idea just presented.
    Here's a novel solution - Build a moving grandstand! Put the stewards and cameras on it and you will get great viewing on course and at home.
    I probably have you rolling around the floor with laugher by now - And if I do, I guarantee you are one of the people continuing to accept the same thing and debating the same things and getting the same results.
    Be brave, think outside the square and you might just get surprised.
    Where you getting cash from.to build all these tracks?

Straight race no variation means horses times will be exposed and more able to be guessed correctly leading to shorter priced faves and boring 'racing'.

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    It will never happen Janelle. Apart from the fact that the gallops would be the only ones with the cash to consider it, a moving grandstand would never satisfy safety requirements - the speed it would have to move, would not only make dining impractical, it would mean everybody would have to be seated (strapped in?) - all these considerations before the starter could release the horses and the sideshow attendant start 'the grandstand ride'

Circle racing is not a drawcard to on-course gallops as they are too far away. It is however for harness racing but people like variety which is why they complain about days where Menangle has nothing but mile races. Athletics has the perfect mix as they have straight and circle racing within viewing distance (where everybody seems to get their chance even when they are not run in lanes)

You talk about a leader having the advantage of dictating BUT they have the disadvantage of facing the breeze as opposed to the sit sprinter who takes cover
    There isn't much 'stacking them up' racing nowadays, quite often the 2nd Q is the only one where they take a wee breather
    If we had nothing but straight mile races in lanes, the current leader type of horse would probably win more often and be the only type that people would want to breed

I resurrected this thread by mentioning a couple of Menangle wins - I wasn't complaining about them, I think they show that circular tracks with long straights are pretty fair
    At present circle racing still requires a great deal of analysis, if we had your form of racing just about anybody could be a 'race analyser'
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    You would have thought there was a sprint lane at Menangle last night with the way 2 inside runs presented for Luke McCarthy in the big ones (R4 & R7)
    I sometimes wonder whether the advent of poles instead of fences has made it harder for leaders to hold their line (poles are of course a must for safer racing)

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...s/?mc=PC241020
    Without poles Pink Galahs does not win the Derby today
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Member Filly thepacingman will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Stephen Walsh
    Hamilton: Sack sprint lane

LEAD NEWS
    Adam Hamilton
    17 MAY 2021

THE time has come to ditch sprint lanes.

When they were first introduced in Australia, the “sell” was increased turnover and better perception for the sport.

There’s no evidence either have eventuated.

What sparked me to raise the sprint lane debate again – it’s certainly not the first time I have – is the massive surge of interest and betting turnover on Mildura.

Since the COVID-19 enforced regional racing, where Mildura enjoyed some time in the spotlight, the fans and punters have really enjoyed and warmed to it.

Let’s be honest, it’s not because of the quality of horses, so why is it?

I won’t be as bold to say it’s purely not having a sprint lane, but that, combined with the small track, aggressive driving and consistent pool of horses really resonates with punters.

Sound familiar? Yep, that’s pretty much the same story at Gloucester Park as well, which I think boasts the most competitive and exciting racing anywhere in Australasia.

Mildura is Victoria’s version of Gloucester Park.

When Harness Racing Victoria releases its anxiously-anticipated strategic plan in coming weeks, expect Mildura to get plenty of mentions.

I wonder if the future of the sprint lane will get a mention as well?

Speaking of that strategic plan, I was privy to short, largely confidential, briefing from HRV CEO Dayle Brown around some of the key elements with some other Victorian industry participants last week.

All the details will be out soon and it’s HRV place to tell their own story, but what I can say is COVID-19 has re-ignited interest in harness. Wagering harness been strong, Victoria’s all-important joint-venture has bounced-back and breeding figures are most encouraging.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Just read it myself Stephen, I wonder whether Adam might do an about face on Stand Starts too. He mentions Mildura, it would be interesting to research whether Ballarat has the same excitement and moves that we see at Mildura or whether the small track is also an important factor (and the caller Luke has a following up there)

On a similar note, I watched a couple of races from NZ the other night that had 16 starters and thought that if they were always preferential barrier draws they are similar to a Stand Start handicap as the horses that settle near last have a minimum 25m to make up at some point - if they are going to win
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Interesting take my the caller for R6 Bathurst last night - referring to the sprint lane as "took the cheats lane"

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#BHC29122102
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Interesting take my the caller for R6 Bathurst last night - referring to the sprint lane as "took the cheats lane"

http://www.harness.org.au/racing/fie...21#BHC29122102
    Hahaha what a classic. I think it all depends on if you've backed the sprint lane or not as to whether its the cheats lane!

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiebreno View Post
    Hahaha what a classic. I think it all depends on if you've backed the sprint lane or not as to whether its the cheats lane!
    eg Rc 11 Bendigo

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I don't know whether that race is a good example of it being a cheats lane Breno
    I thought the first five all seemed good enough to beat each other on their day and they all seemed to get a fair crack at it
    The death horse pulled too hard (costing itself its chance) and I suppose you can say the leader was softened up a little to make it vulnerable
    I reckon you might know the leader, a quick look and I see that she has had 13 starts for 8 places now and needs to find another second in her Q4?
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    No sprint lane making a significant difference at Ballarat tonight. Once again, I say - all tracks or none
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread