Junior Member Foal steve will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    stephen ward
    from the western area i think ?

Senior Member Colt clumsy will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Greg Snudden
    Trainer Mr Shannon Wonson – EPO positive swab
    Harness Racing New South Wales (HRNSW) has received a report from the Hong Kong Jockey Club Racing Laboratory (HKJC) that EPO has been detected in a pre race blood sample taken from COURAGEOUS KIWI NZ prior to it competing and finishing unplaced in Race 6, the Bohemia Crystal Free for All (2300m) at Menangle on Saturday 26 November 2011.
    The presence of EPO in the blood sample has been confirmed by the HFL Sport Science Laboratory in England.
    This sample was initially screened at the Australian Racing Forensic Laboratory (ARFL) which detected a discrepancy and forwarded the sample to HKJC Laboratory for further analytical testing.
    Acting under the provision of Australian Harness Racing Rule (AHRR) 183, HRNSW has suspended Mr Shannon Wonson trainer’s licence for the following reasons:
    (a) The extremely serious nature of the prohibited substance;
    (b) The absolute liability of a trainer for the presence of a prohibited substance;
    (c) The existence of a prima facie case against him based on the certificates from HKJC and HFL;
    (d) HRNSW’s protective objectives in the course of its core function to control supervise and regulate harness racing in this state.
    Also under the provisions of AHRR 183A COURAGEOUS KIWI NZ will not be permitted to race until the inquiry is concluded.
    An inquiry into this matter has been scheduled for Monday 16 April 2012 commencing at 10am at the offices of HRNSW.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year broncobrad has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Quote Originally Posted by murray green View Post
    The meth positive has been put off to another date . HRNSW is dammed if they do and dammed if they don't . I'm sure they are trying very hard to gain confidence from the industry by showing us they are are on the job . IMO any information is better than none at all . Sam pulled the right reign by using Hong Kong JC . Great idea
    Referred back to Murrays comment of 24/1 because I don't think it rings quite true now. HRNSW WERE damned if they did or did not, but they have been very careful with this inquiry. If it is taking time for these issues to be dealt with and HRNSW are confronting and dealing with them with successful prosecutions (for want of a better word), to me it demonstrates a willingness to bring real change to the industry for the long term and for all participants. The reasons listed by HRNSW in dealing with the EPO charges is extremely strong terminology and is sending a big message that a line is being drawn. If you want confidence in the sport, the regime in charge of integrity issues is giving us value for money thus far. I think they were damned if they didn't. Still happy to be patient.

Senior Member 4YO p plater will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    bailey martin
    Quote Originally Posted by broncobrad View Post
    Referred back to Murrays comment of 24/1 because I don't think it rings quite true now. HRNSW WERE damned if they did or did not, but they have been very careful with this inquiry. If it is taking time for these issues to be dealt with and HRNSW are confronting and dealing with them with successful prosecutions (for want of a better word), to me it demonstrates a willingness to bring real change to the industry for the long term and for all participants. The reasons listed by HRNSW in dealing with the EPO charges is extremely strong terminology and is sending a big message that a line is being drawn. If you want confidence in the sport, the regime in charge of integrity issues is giving us value for money thus far. I think they were damned if they didn't. Still happy to be patient.
    Count me in.....I totally agree, if things go to plan NSW will be the most feared State to race in for Cheats

Super Moderator Horse Of The Year David Summers will become famous soon enough David Summers's Avatar
    Real Name
    David Summers
    Quote Originally Posted by p plater View Post
    If things go to plan NSW will be the most feared State to race in for Cheats
    Good comment p plater. Amen to that.
    Last edited by David Summers; 03-16-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Member Yearling hillbillydeluxe will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Michael Freeman
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    now-Generals Daughter & Passaic River
    Where there is money there is corruption, there needs to be an independant board to govern Harness Racing, an integrity squad. I got out of the game in the 90's after watching horses sit 3 wide the journey and running time in winning, you guessed it, assisted. catch all the cheats as I want to enter the game that I missed. penalties need to be harsh. a positive doesn't stop the guilty from punting either which makes for a good holiday if caught.

Senior Member 4YO Thevoiceofreason has a spectacular aura about
    Real Name
    Bill Williams
    Occupation
    Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbillydeluxe View Post
    Where there is money there is corruption, there needs to be an independant board to govern Harness Racing, an integrity squad. I got out of the game in the 90's after watching horses sit 3 wide the journey and running time in winning, you guessed it, assisted. catch all the cheats as I want to enter the game that I missed. penalties need to be harsh. a positive doesn't stop the guilty from punting either which makes for a good holiday if caught.
    They had a separate board called the GHRRA to deal with integrity matters in both Harness and Greyhounds and no one wanted them, personally I think they did a much better job than they are credited with in many ways.

Having said that the board and executive of HRNSW have done a great job in very difficult circumstances. In the past 12 months they have uncovered widespread corruption and are leaving no stone unturned in their efforts to deal with it correctly, despite most wanting blood in the first weeks of the investigation.

Broncobrad put it best we need to be patient and let justice take its course no matter how slow it seems, in the end we want them caught and punished .... not winning at appeal on a loophole.

To Sam and the boys keep up the excellent work.

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Can anybody shed any light as to why Shane Wonsons mum would take court action to attempt to NOT have the B sample tested?

Were there concerns about the B sample, the laboratory concerned or its professional standing in the world, testing techniques?

Or is the story a beat up? Find it a bit bewildering. Don't even know if we can comment on this if the matter is in the courts already?

Real Name
    Brad Leach
    Can only assume my last comment was removed because I didn't show the source. Harnesslink website posted 7.47am 18/3/12.

http://www.harnesslink.com/www/Article.cgi?ID=96370 As I said, am bewildered why Shannon Wonsons mum attempted to take legal action to stop the testing of the

B sample. Could anyone shed any light on what they hoped that would achieve?
    Last edited by broncobrad; 03-18-2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelt name incorrectly

Senior Member Stallion Triple V will become famous soon enough Triple V's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jaimie Varcoe
    Occupation
    Televangelist
    I don't know why that was removed Brad.
    It was no great secret that action had been lauched and it was apparently done weeks ago, prior to the result from England (?). The same was also freely reported by Chris Roots in the Daily Telegraph. Certainly not something that wasn't already well & truly in the public arena.

+ Reply to Thread