Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trotting stallion performances (by prizemoney) -why such diversity?

Junior Member Foal Hanrahan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Maurice Hanrahan

Trotting stallion performances (by prizemoney) -why such diversity?

Attached is the top 20 Australian trotting performers and their sires for last year and current season (to date).

The diversity of sires in this list is astounding when compared to the pacing sires which is dominated by a much more limited field of sires. There is not one dominant sire that stands out.

Trotting Sires include: Down Under Muscles, Yankee Paco,Yankee Spider, Great Success, Sky Valley, Betters Delight (sire of On Thunder Road), Bacardi Lindy, Monarchy, as well as Angus Hall, Majestic Son and Sundon.

Can I have some insights as to why there is such a wide array of stallions producing leading offspring (based on prizemoney), especially compared to pacing sires.

Is it that breeders take a slightly different approach to breeding trotters (maybe greater focus on winning post than sales ring) or that trotting stallions are a lot more even than the super sires of pacing, or is it other factors at play?

https://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/...499?d=24032018

https://www.harness.org.au/ausbreed/...501?d=24032018
    Last edited by Hanrahan; 03-24-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year gutwagon will become famous soon enough gutwagon's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rick Mckinley
    Occupation
    Dreamer
    Horses
    Peaces Of You, Final Peace.
    I think you got it right. Many pacers are bred with the sales ring in mind. Trotters are bred with the race track in mind. With the recent success of the trotting sales that will start to change.
    Look at the APG sales , if they're not by one of the top 6 or 7 superstar stallions they wont even get in the main sale. Just another way these sales are changing things for the worse . I think they concentrate too much on who the sire is and not who the dam is.
    Don't die wondering !

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I think Bettors Delight is the big difference
    - you take his 5 out of the pacers Top 20
    and you have 5 sires with 2 and 5 sires with 1
    Which is not enormously different from the trotters
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

+ Reply to Thread