Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28 29 30 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Industry Indicators - Good, Bad & Ugly

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    That is sad Kati. I definitely hear from many that they do not believe it is a level playing field.
    Lately, I have even thought the cost of fuel would be a factor - I remember many years ago, going to the Royal Melbourne Dog Show and being surprised that the numbers had fallen away so badly and asking those there I was told that people cannot afford the fuel to travelling all over the country
    We definitely have to address the breeding costs so that we are targeting those who need assistance
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Junior Member Weanling Galli will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    There are a lot of things that Victoria could learn from WA, Dot. I lived there for 11 years (and trained for 8 of them) and still keep comparing the two. I don't know how things have changed over there but, for example, just a simple thing of how the accounts work... In WA owner/trainer had one account and when you earned prize money, all costs were deducted from that account and then you either got paid or you got an invoice to pay. Over to Vic and you get a separate account for every horse you own/lease if your ownership group is different... Even if you are the managing owner for every one of them and the bank account details for all of them are the same. And then you get another account as a trainer and they can't even take the $5 trainer's fee (which didn't exist in WA ) from the money paid to you. Apparently it is impossible to combine everything - go figure how they managed to do that in WA over a decade ago! So, in the end you might get a statement which says you've been paid $X amount and in the same email another one which says you owe $5...
    Last edited by Galli; 05-23-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: stupid phone and autocorrection...

Super Moderator Stallion Messenger will become famous soon enough Messenger's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Messenger View Post
    Bendigo had a semaphore board last night. One of the timing trucks has returned so some but not all meets will have them (until April)

https://www.thetrots.com.au/news/art...ck-at-bendigo/
    Nearly June and still no semaphore at Stawell today
    It is pathetic - I cannot see how anybody can deny that this has been a major stuff up
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    Lately, I have even thought the cost of fuel would be a factor
    Yes, most definitely. You weigh the costs against your chance of earning in any particular race eg. company & barrier and scratch if it doesn't make sense.

We definitely have to address the breeding costs so that we are targeting those who need assistance
    Too late.

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    The “paperwork” side of things has never been my thing Kati but having been a participant in a number of states I have wondered about the differences between them and if there was a way to improve them. Those states that pay hobbyist owner/drivers a driving fee for driving their own horse then sending a bill to get it back plus GST is something I could never get my head around. Still Kati I think there must be more to your deciding to leave the industry then some errant paperwork.

No doubt all states could learn something from in each other, Sadly I think WA is about to learn a big one from Victoria about living beyond your means.

Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    Just thinking there are things that could be simplified saving time and money, Dot. It still irritates me that they keep charging gst on the super portion of the drivers fee in VIC. It's not a lot of money but it all adds up and, in the end, it is against the law and money that benefits no one in the industry. Owners loss, again.

The reason I'm leaving is simple: it's impossible to even break even breeding and training your own horses anymore. Time to find another hobby. Might even get a share in a galloper.

Real Name
    Kevin O'Donoghue
    Occupation
    Retired
    Horses
    A long, long time ago
    I guess it comes down to how passionate one is about their hobby and whether they can justify the expense
    The same can apply to a golfer. If you are no longer enjoying something there are zillions of other options
    I imagine for someone who trains and drives his/her own horses (which they may have bred themselves) and have a property it is somewhat cheaper and if they have a love of horses it is simply the lifestyle they choose and love
    per un PUGNO di DOLLARI

Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    The same can apply to a golfer.
    Only if that golfer is serious enough to play tournaments. How would the golfer feel if he was given different rules to play and some of the other golfers had a little bird carrying the ball a couple of hundred yards further than the rest?

Senior Member Horse Of The Year Dot will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Dot Schmidt
    Is it a reasonable expectation though Kati to “break even”, even with horses you breed and train yourself? The reality is and always has been that the costs of breeding and racing far exceeds the levels of prizemoney available. It’s not possible for everyone to profit or even break even from their participation in racing, for those who do break even or profit there has to have been someone who has lost on their investment/involvement in the industry or there would be no industry.

I think everyone has to go through the highs and lows of racing just not all in the same fashion. As Kev said it comes down to the level of passion for a hobby and whether we can justify the expense. If you’ve lost your passion and can’t justify the expense so be it, plenty of other hobbies out there, nearly all of which won’t “break even” on investment either.

If your leaving because you don’t think it’s a level playing field that’s a different story.

Real Name
    Kati Gunn
    Oh dear. I thought you'd be able to read between the lines... I should have been talking about the wins, not the money as let's face it - there is none.

Those wins and that great feeling when your horse crosses the line first are getting impossible to achieve because the other golfers on the course have got those little birds carrying their balls and are allowed to hit out of bounds without getting a penalty.

I used to be able to get enough success to cover my small costs (yes, own property etc.). I guess I was just lucky then.

+ Reply to Thread