Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Popular Wagers

Member Filly Allan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Allan Schott

Popular Wagers

Besides the standard WPS, Exacta, Trifectas, Superfectas, what are some of the more popular wagers in Australia? Could you give me an idea on how they work? Trying to figure out if there are any new wagers worth exploring for introduction into North America?

I assume the wager types are similar in New Zealand.
    Interested in Harness Racing? Read View From the Racetrack Grandstand

aussiebreno
    Quinella. first two in any order.
    DUet - 2 of the first three
    Quadrellas - 4 specified races (usually major 4races or last 4 on the card) where you must pick the winner - can be flexi and you get a %
    Big 6 - similar to the quadrella but over 6 races. Only have these at the major meetings.
    Daily Double / Extra Double - Usually the Daily Double is legs 1 and 3 of the quaddie while the Extra Double is legs 2 and 4. You must pick the winners of both races.
    Running Double - get the winner of back to back races at a meeting.

No superfectas (maybe NZ does not sure).
    We dont have 'show'. A place is for 2nd and 3rd.

http://www.tab.com.au/Racing/Informa...t.aspx?State=2

buster
    most popular is win and place, quaddies, then quinelas exactas trifectas then maybe the pick six but it doesnt really work for the trots ... the rest are just making up numbers

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    The best bet in NZ harness I believe is the Pick 6 but it doesn't have much of a following in oz. Another great bet in NZ is a poker bet a $1 poker 4 leg bet involves 11 different options so would cost $11 as you have $1 on every possible bet, as long as 2 come in you get a payout if you get all 4 you get $1 worth of Bet Ax Bet B x Bet C x Bet D. The thing I like about this bet is you could have say 6 horses you like on a ten race card but don't want to put a 6 leg all up on, or back them each separately so a poker bet is a good option if you miss out on 1 horse which lets face it is often the case with all ups then you will still make money.

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by peacheymagic View Post
    The best bet in NZ harness I believe is the Pick 6 but it doesn't have much of a following in oz. Another great bet in NZ is a poker bet a $1 poker 4 leg bet involves 11 different options so would cost $11 as you have $1 on every possible bet, as long as 2 come in you get a payout if you get all 4 you get $1 worth of Bet Ax Bet B x Bet C x Bet D. The thing I like about this bet is you could have say 6 horses you like on a ten race card but don't want to put a 6 leg all up on, or back them each separately so a poker bet is a good option if you miss out on 1 horse which lets face it is often the case with all ups then you will still make money.
    Similar to Poker bet we have a Parlay in Australia. Can pick between 2-6 horses and also choose home many combo you have. EG say you pick 4 horses to include in your parlay you can have singles ($1 on each horse), doubles ($1 each combo) Horse A into Horse B, Horse A into Horse C, Horse A into Horse D, Horse B into Horse C, Horse B into Horse D and Horse C into Horse D, trebles ($1 all up each combo) Horse A into B into C etc and the traditional 4leg all up. You can choose to leave out the traditional all up, or the singles. Not to sure if you can leave out the doubles and trebles though - think you can.

Member Filly Allan will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Allan Schott

Duo Question

I understand the Duo wager in that you need to have two of the top three finishers, but how are the prices determined. Does each winning combo pay the same or is the pool split three ways and each combo pays differently?
    Interested in Harness Racing? Read View From the Racetrack Grandstand

aussiebreno
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    I understand the Duo wager in that you need to have two of the top three finishers, but how are the prices determined. Does each winning combo pay the same or is the pool split three ways and each combo pays differently?
    three ways with each combo paying differently
    EDIT:
    Also, say your two horses are Mister Big and Artistic Fella. Their duet pays $2.10. It would be $2.10 regardless if Mister Big and Artistic Fella finish 1st and 2nd, 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 3rd.

buster
    duets are awful, dont introduce them into the US

Member Filly peacheymagic will become famous soon enough peacheymagic's Avatar
    Real Name
    Unknown
    Agreed they are a rubbish bet pools are always small..

+ Reply to Thread