Roll With Joe
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: US Broodmare Sales

Member Filly BenScadden will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Ben Scadden
    Hey Mango, no, I wasn't talking about that filly. She looks OK at a first glance. I couldn't comment on her conformation off a video ... I'd need to see her in the flesh to pass judgement on that (and even then it's only my opinion).
    I was referring to the first post about buying a broodmare. I'd never buy one sight unseen, even if it was on the other side of the world. I just think the conformation of a mare is very important.
    As for our yearling, interest in him seems to have been quite good ... but it's hard to know if that's because of the video. And there are always plenty of tyre-kickers who have no intention of buying. Sale day is judgement day.
    And buster, I don't equate size to poor conformation ... I was talking more about a mare that might be offset at the knee, bad hocks, etc. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule ... but I think you're putting the odds in your favour if you have a mare that is 'correct'.

Member Yearling jammsb will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    Unknown
    So much depends on your budget. To me it doesn't make much sense to buy a $10,000 mare and then have to spend more than her purchase price to ship her down under. From my experience the best buys in the US marketplace today are well bred yearling fillies out of well producing mares who have some age on them, but have been excellent producers themselves. Not all of the fillies fall into this category, but there are some. I'm still kicking myself for not buying a filly that Hanover Shoe Farms sold at Harrisburg last Fall. She was a Rocknroll Hanover filly out of the top producing mare Sandlark Hanover. I looked at her and thought she was a very nice filly with more than adequate conformation. I then changed my mind and decided I would instead focus on trotting fillies. I wasn't around when this particular filly sold. She brought the incredibly low price of $7,000. When I looked at her I felt that she would be a great bargain at $20,000 or maybe more. I'm still kicking myself because I feel that even in a depressed market, she will always be worth more than the price she brought.

Senior Member 2YO Love Of Courage will become famous soon enough Love Of Courage's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue Smith
    Hello and thank you all for the replies !

Justdoit : I had hoped to attend the Harrisburg Sale last year but was unable to attend due to work commitments. I think that this is the best sale to attend but was hoping to find others.

Jammsb : Nice post and may be an option to buy a filly instead of broodmare.I have attached links to the filly you mentioned.

Hip :395

Sealark Hanover (Yearlings) b f Rocknroll Hanover-Sandlark Hanover

VAN OTTERLOO STABLES ROCK VALLEY, IA

HANOVER SHOE FARMS, INC.

$7,000

www.theblackbook.com/2010pdfs/Yearlings/Sandlark%20Hanover.pdf for the pedigree.

www.hanoverpa.com/images/video/2009/5G9979.html For the video.

Agree the cost I have been quoted to get mare into Australia $ 20,000 so would need the right filly or mare. However where in Australia or New Zealand can you get access to fillies or mares by these stallions. Western Ideal, RockNRoll Hanover, Artsplace ( The exception ! ) The Panderosa, Western Hanover etc. Or even some of the best trotting stallions if you breed trotters.

Regards,

Sue
    Last edited by Love Of Courage; 01-27-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

buster
    i think if you can get a commerical mare, even if shes say 10 0r 12 thats thrown a handy horse and in foal to western ideal, rock n roll etc its definitely worth a shot...even if you have to wait 24 months to find the right one

Banned 4YO justdoit will become famous soon enough
    Real Name
    (BANNED) (BANNED)
    Occupation
    (BANNED)
    Hi Sue,
    Contact the Pepper Tree stud and ask them about purchasing a RRHanover mare or filly, they should know if any in OZ for sale.
    In the USA or Canada contacting the farms directly is no problem, most of them have their mares pedigrees on their websites and have mares for sale. I find it very interesting to see what sought of mares the stud farms are breeding to their stallions.
    A must do is to visit the Harness Racing Museum & Hall of Fame and the Winbak stud.very cool
    Orange County Choppers is another option if you cannot find the horse you are looking for.
    Last edited by justdoit; 01-27-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Flashing Red
    I have a Rocknroll Hanover filly (still in the USA) whose dam is a full sister to Die Laughing and she is a half sister to a Meadowlands Pace winner. She was bought in America and is still over there, she was bought as a racing/breeding prospect. I'm not sure if that is "commercial" enough, but if anyone would be interested in her, PM me

buster
    i looked through some of those results of the mixed sales, some amazing numbers, anything that is out of fashion or starting to age appears to be worthless, there were mares very closely related to good stallions that stand out here and in foal to top stallions selling for 15k

Flashing Red
    Their economy going down the gurgler has a lot to do with it...

triplev123
    G'day Sue,

If you're looking to buy a mare there the two guys I'd get in contact with over there are...
    Murray Brown, mbrown@hanoverpa.com or hofmurray@aol.com From AUS phone 0011 1- 717– 637- 8931 http://www.theblackbook.com
    Bob Boni, Northwood Bloodstock. E-mail Nwbloodstock@aol.com From AUS phone 0011 1- 201- 863- 2082 www.northwoodbloodstock.com
    Both absolutely teriffic fellas.

buster
    id think kiwi mares have been more successful over here, id love to get one out elsu's family

+ Reply to Thread